Ft Benning, GA

FlightFollowing

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Flightfollowing
I've been here since wensday and it is awesome.. I'm here to pick up my cousin cause he just graduated from infantry school...well I am not acutally at FT benning GA I am in Columbus, GA I am staying at Fairchild marriot INN and it is awesome.. my view looks out onto KCSG.. I am not sure which runway is it but its awesome.. so far i've seen alot of express jets.. alot of ATR's CRJ's cessnas pipers its just awesome.. If anyone is ever in here i suggest you stay here.. Make sure your room ends with an even number so you get a view on the runway... I am in 324.. there is acutally alot of commercial traffic here and i've seen a few loud turbine jets... not sure which model it was but pretty lod... jet noise = happiness :) i will post pics soon.. i get back on saturday-sunday. Sadly I am not flying :(

sounds like fun. Ft. Benning is a cool area, I've driven through there when I was a kid (dad was Army). Much cooler than Ft. Leonard Wood.

I might taking my plane to Stark's at CSG for a Garmin install in the not too distant future.

SkyHog said:
sounds like fun. Ft. Benning is a cool area, I've driven through there when I was a kid (dad was Army). Much cooler than Ft. Leonard Wood.

Two thoughts Nick:

1. The two best duty stations a military person will ever have are the one they just left and the one they are going to. All the other ones suck.

2. Just about anyplace is superior to Ft. Lost in the Woods. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Spent a week there one night. I was praying for death as an alternative to more time there.

F.W. Birdman said:
Two thoughts Nick:

1. The two best duty stations a military person will ever have are the one they just left and the one they are going to. All the other ones suck.

2. Just about anyplace is superior to Ft. Lost in the Woods. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Spent a week there one night. I was praying for death as an alternative to more time there.

1. Not quite correct... To this day Elmendorf AFB rocks as a duty station in my memories, with Guam and it's TDY's all over the place a close second. Kirtland AFB is an infested zit on the ass of humanity, and always will be.

2. I spent somewhat more than a week in scenic Fort Lost in the Woods, Misery since that was where I went through Army basic and Combat Engineer AIT. What a lovely place :rofl:

F.W. Birdman said:
We did air base ground defense school there followed by an excercise. I think I spent a total of 10 days racing around that place. It was not that bad but I think I lost 3 pints of blood to the mosquitos over the course of my stay. It was better than some real armpits I had been to. At least there no one really was shooting at you and things did not just blow up for no reason.

But one of my duty stations really was great. I was stationed at Cape Canaveral AFS during the early 80's as part of the guys working on the Space Shuttle. It was the coolest duty ever!!! I was there for the first 7 launches

Last edited:
Same here! I swear they grow rocks for a living in that terrain!

I went on to join the 307th Engineer Bn, 82nd Airborne, how about you?

Joe Williams said:
2. I spent somewhat more than a week in scenic Fort Lost in the Woods, Misery since that was where I went through Army basic and Combat Engineer AIT. What a lovely place :rofl:

Joe Williams said:
Kirtland AFB is an infested zit on the ass of humanity, and always will be.

God, if that doesn't describe Kirtland, I don't know what does.

When my dad was stationed here, his papers said "Dirtland AFB." My mom cried. They had put in for another stint at Fort Huachuca (sp?) and were approved only to have the orders changed last minute.

I wonder what life would have been like if my dad was never stationed here. Certainly different.

SkyHog said:
God, if that doesn't describe Kirtland, I don't know what does.

When my dad was stationed here, his papers said "Dirtland AFB." My mom cried. They had put in for another stint at Fort Huachuca (sp?) and were approved only to have the orders changed last minute.

I wonder what life would have been like if my dad was never stationed here. Certainly different.

I was stationed at Kirtland and I liked it alot. But my experience ws different than Joe's for sure. I was assigned to the Air Force Weapons lab as an engineer in the Advacned RAdiation Branch. We had lots of money and cool toys to play with as it was during the Reagan Star Wars era and we were one of the prime research locations to make that a reality.

Fort Benning (Fort Beginning for some of us) was like a second home to me. Went there in '68 and got my Infantry Commission. Went to Vietnam, came back and taught tactics as an instructor in the U.S. Army Infantry School. Met my first wife there. Here family was/is great. Off to Army flight school and back to Vietnam. Came back and went to Ranger School and the Advanced Course--resigned my commission when I completed that school. In the mean time, visited the area several times because the wife's family was there.

Lots of memories there for me.

Dave

Back