FSX or XPlane for instrument training on my own time.

poadeleted21

Touchdown! Greaser!
Is there any sort of material, add on or something to use a flight simulator for IFR training? My CFI is out of town and I'm not going to be restarting my instrument training for another few weeks, I'd like to do some sort of flying on a simulator but just going at it alone isn't much help.

Something like "Here's how to fly this, now you try" type of thing.

How do you Instrument Instructors feel about this?

It really depends on how far along the student is. If the proper habits are already set in, Fltsims can be good for practicing procedures. But if they're not, then you can teach yourself stuff that you'll have to unlearn with your CFI, and that is harder than learning it properly in the first place.

So a discussion with YOUR CFII is in order.

Concur with Tim. Assuming you have already had some instrument training, then the best thing you can do is use the sim to practice what you have already learned. I'd recommend against trying anything new since it is much more of a challenge to break bad habits once you develop them.

XPlane V10 will be coming out before Christmas....it will be about $80. I pre-ordered a copy because my V9 DVD disk cracked. I use it to run through approaches before my annual instrument check ride. It more for procedures and making sure I don't forget to "punch the clock" type of things. Actually I use the AP most of the time.

Back