FSDO issues getting Seaplane rating

To slightly derail the thread- I know you could obviously do the instrument work in a SES just by shooting approaches to normal airports, but are there any examples of an instrument approach to a Sea Plane Base?

image.jpg

Greenville, ME is another seaplane base with an IAP.

To slightly derail the thread- I know you could obviously do the instrument work in a SES just by shooting approaches to normal airports, but are there any examples of an instrument approach to a Sea Plane Base?

I think there is a minor gotcha here just as an FYI.

IR.VA.S.14 in the Instrument ACS Area of Operation VI says you *have* to land out of one of the approaches, and IR.VI.E contains the full set of task requirements for a landing.

Areas of Operation II (A & C), IV, VI, VII, and VII are mandatory for adding a new class to an instrument rating.

See Appendix 4 of the Instrument ACS.

So to earn the Instrument class cross-over, on the class checkride, you must *land* out of at least one approach, as best as I can tell.

I think there is a minor gotcha here just as an FYI.

IR.VA.S.14 in the Instrument ACS Area of Operation VI says you *have* to land out of one of the approaches, and IR.VI.E contains the full set of task requirements for a landing.

Areas of Operation II (A & C), IV, VI, VII, and VII are mandatory for adding a new class to an instrument rating.

See Appendix 4 of the Instrument ACS.

So to earn the Instrument class cross-over, on the class checkride, you must *land* out of at least one approach, as best as I can tell.

You're not trying to say a SEL IFR pilot would have to do instrument work on their SES checked to be able to legally fly SES IFR are you? Because that's not the case.

You're not trying to say a SEL IFR pilot would have to do instrument work on their SES checked to be able to legally fly SES IFR are you? Because that's not the case.

I was, but it was wrong, of course. Ha. I wasn't paying attention that the Appendix is referencing someone wishing to add "Airplane" to any other Instrument raring.

"If you hold an instrument rating in another category and adding Instrument – Airplane, you are required to complete the Task(s) indicated in the following table:"

Sorry, reading the ACS late at night, not recommended, for anything other than insomnia.

When I first read that, I was thinking of all the NASA reports I'd have to fill out lol

Update: FSDO came through and is allowing me to do ASES at the private level even though I have a commercial rating in AMEL. Thanks for all the great input! If anyone gets in a similar situation with different results please feel free to contact me and I will be glad to help out in any way I can.

Update: FSDO came through and is allowing me to do ASES at the private level even though I have a commercial rating in AMEL. Thanks for all the great input! If anyone gets in a similar situation with different results please feel free to contact me and I will be glad to help out in any way I can.

Glad to hear it all worked out. Sounds like whoever got the request at FSDO just hadn't encountered that before and it had them scratching their heads for a bit. Thanks for asking here about it. As usual, the discussion that followed was educational.

Back