FS2020 missing towers?

sarangan

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Andrew, CFI-I
To my surprise, FS2020 was missing the tallest structure in my area, which is a group of 1200 ft antennas. I looked around a bit, and I could not see any antennas anywhere. Anyone else notice this?

Not surprised at all. Once you get out of the major metro areas, a lot of the structures are still somewhat generic or missing entirely. Missing grain elevators are the other type of prairie skyscrapers missing there.

I suspect once you've hit the end of publicly sourced lidar data you lose the 3D features above the ground terrain. Same thing happens with the 3D modes of Google Maps/Earth.

Yes. Not just towers. In my area, most buildings.

This is not a data issue, there's plenty of data out there that tells you how high a tower is and the exact coordinates.

I suspect once you've hit the end of publicly sourced lidar data you lose the 3D features above the ground terrain. Same thing happens with the 3D modes of Google Maps/Earth.
There's probably as much if not more public/usgs lidar in the rural areas than the metros.

Yes. Not just towers. In my area, most buildings.

This is not a data issue, there's plenty of data out there that tells you how high a tower is and the exact coordinates.
In fsx they just imported that data and placed a generic tower at every location. This of course resulted in some silliness like grain elevators and other tall buildings being represented as towers, but that's arguably better than just not doing it at all.

Im sure you can find the way to edit the scenery and add the towers that its missing.

Back