FS: (Package) IceBox Portable Air Conditioner -- Pictures

phillipny

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
phillipny
Hey guys,

You all helped launch the IceBox air conditioner last summer. It did great with lots of Pireps, and now its placed in catalogs for Aircraft Spruce, MyPilotStore, Mcfarlane, Sarasota Avionics, etc. Thanks for helping develop the product and kickstart it.

We are in full production for the summer season now and developed new accessories for the product. The manufacturing process has been refined and we are ramping up our scale to fill all the new orders.

For the full System we are going to do a Free Shipping discount (Limited Time right now), which will save about 10% off.
The system includes:
- IceBox 12V or 24V model
- IceBox Aux Battery and Pilots Cable
- IceBox Gel Packs x10
- Bluetooth Thermostat
- Shipping FREE

If you are interested:
support@switchboxcontrol.com

Pics and details below
------

IceBox - $399

The IceBox is a portable air conditioning system, for your car, boat or airplane.

For Pilots: No more flying in a scorching hot cabin! Turn ON the IceBox during preflight and cool your cabin down before engine start. Jump in and experience a comfortable taxi and departure to a cooler altitude. Enjoy hours of IceBox cooling power and control your comfort with the Wireless Remote (Pump and Fan controls). TIP: During cruise flight, Turn OFF the water pump at altitude with the included 2x button Wireless Remote to sustain the longest A/C possible. In Cruise Flight Mode -- Keep the fan running to push cooler air through the cabin

Specifications

- Electrical: 12V or 24V. Max Power Consumption 4.5 Amps
- Features: Wireless Remote included (Fan/Pump), Removable Duct for Extended Reach cooling, Internal 'Cold Box' Design, 40 lbs Ice/Water capacity, Long 15' power plug
- Dimensions: 12"x16"x22"
- Weight Empty: 10lbs
- Warranty: 1 year Mfr parts & labor, 30day money back guarantee
- Operating Manual found here http://switchboxcontrol.com/s/iceboxmanual.pdf

Accessories

- AUX Battery for Stand-Alone Operation (RunTime: 1.5 Hours, Dimensions/Weight: 7.5x4.5x7, 7.5lb, Comes Fully Charged) -- $75
- Pilot's Cable to switch between ship's power and Aux Battery (useful for preflight, fuel stops and post-flight draining the box) -- $60
- Custom Gel Packs for Ice Substitute. One "IceBox" gel pack has 10x more cold material than consumer packs; Contains a thin insulation sleeve to transfer cold BTUs out, rather than the hard insulated store-brand types (6x10x1.25, 48oz Gel, 2lb, Reusable 'fuel' Save $$ on Ice, 10x packs fit an IceBox) -- $5/each
- 24V Adapter for use in any 24V electrical system -- $40
- Aux Battery Charging Cable -- $5
- Bluetooth Thermostat, extend the length of your IceBox cooling power -- $99

Order here if interested. Specs and Info on the site
http://switchboxcontrol.com/icebox/

IceBox_Front_beech.jpg

PolarIceBox_AuxBattery_beech.jpg

PolarIceBox_20130602_20NFlight.jpg

VFRto1N7.jpg

IMG_0533-small_zps50e5499c.jpg

Batch3.jpg

PHL_9458IceBoxAccessories070413PA.jpg

PHL_9470IceBoxAccessories070413PA.jpg

image004.jpg

photo%204.JPG

image.jpeg

IMG_9119.jpg

We'll post data from the thermostat device this week, so you can see the values/time that it extends the cooling power

In this issue of AOPA Pilot (April '14) they ran a small story on the dog rescue mission I did with Pilot n Paws. The IceBox is what we use for pre-cooling the plane down for the animals, and en route A/C for the cabin, really better for them in the hot months.

Link here
http://switchboxcontrol.com/news/

AOPA_YoshiFlight1_LowRes.jpg

AOPA_YoshiFlight2_LowRes.jpg

Pilots that are receiving their IceBox units this week, PM me if you have any usage questions, and post some photos for us!

We're getting some more write-ups on the dog rescue missions we fly, and how we use the IceBox to precool the plane down for the animals.

To support the community of pilots working on these missions together, we'll donate $15 from each order to Pilot n Paws, a fundraiser this month for a good cause. Here is their link if youd like to sign up and get involved in these flights.
http://pilotsnpaws.org/

RescueMe_Yoshi1.jpg

RescueMe_Yoshi2.jpg

RescueMe_Yoshi3.jpg

We're getting a lot of requests for pilots who'd like to be mini-dealers at their airports/FBOs.

I can tell you more about how it works if you'd like to get a discount on a batch of 5x icebox.
Send over a PM if interested

Phillip

Batch of IceBox orders going out today, check your email/PMs for tracking info

All orders are filled end of this week, enjoy your coolers guys.

If you get a chance, post some pictures of the IceBox inside your plane
Phillip

Accessories are in stock.

We've been getting a lot of orders for the battery and gel packs, to be used with other brand coolers. It will work fine with any 12v device

The pilot cable is made for the icebox only though
Phillip

I've ramped the production up with a much bigger assembly space and larger team now, so we should handle about 500x icebox orders per month
Phillip

Last edited:
I met with Scott today the CEO from Textron and talked to him about IceBox/SwitchBox and his company. We both agreed "great products, good service and sales channels". I mentioned that for all the print ads Ive run in the magazines, the online community of pilots has been the most rewarding. Because we share stories and pictures with each other.

He told me his 206 in Cincinnati was in an unheated hangar and had to get plugged in mainly by the line guys each time, and we shared pre-heat stories on how to use the SwitchBox for this need.

On the IceBox, he's in a Caravan now, we talked about how my product has emerged in the turbo-prop market for preheating. Aircraft Spruce has really helped get the word out on a much bigger scale and planes with factory Air Conditioning are ordering the IceBox for pre-cooling before engine start. I never tested the IceBox in a bigger cabin like King Air or Cessna Conquests but we have a lot of customers using it with these planes.

We moved the production line to Providence, RI and Textron is based here too. He was the keynote at a RI business and commerce forum today and had a great talk on the future of Cessna, Beech and Bell. I mentioned that some of my pilots are using it in their golf carts with the Aux Battery for cooling! And Scott has EZ-GO golf carts under their portfolio.

TextronScottDonnelly.JPG

I applaud your entrepreneurship and wish you success, sincerely. That said, when I see a picture of the ice box, I find it amusing.

Thanks Rich, I appreciate it. If you're based in New York, come meet for a fly in and see the other local pilots using it. We're in Manhattan and RI now and local fields for us are 3N6, 20N, and KWST.

Im at 1,500 pilots using my products now in 1.5 years since I started Switchbox and its doubling every year with the right dealers and people using it.

Check the icebox on the Aircraft Spruce site, we'll update the product page with new accessories and pictures when they come out.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/search/search.php?s=icebox&x=0&y=0

IceBox in stock with all accessories.
We got a little slammed this week, but the new assembly space is working out great.
Sending out all your orders, and have inventory for the weekend.

It seems like 80% of the orders are Florida and Texas right now. The hot season for us East Coasters is about to start soon.

Do you have a model with two cooling outlets? Or is just one capable of cooling the entire cabin?

How come nobody is building these with a closed loop?
I made one from scratch that uses antifreeze and just circulates it back through the water pump around some copper coiled pipe, through the heat exchanger, and back to the pump.

No water splashing back on the ice to melt it faster and I can use dry ice since the water doesn't hit it, it does not produce CO2 rapidly at all. No mess.

Also, no need to drain anything.

For the ~same material cost, you can make it cleaner, cooler, longer.

Ours is just one outlet and has worked well for bigger cabins with 8-10 seats as well.

We looked into a closed copper loop with chemicals, but I didnt want to ship it with liquids inside. I could make it so the pilots have a filler valve and fill themselves upon receiving the unit. But so far, its the open loop system.

Our bluetooth thermostat is going to be shipping soon, this will regulate the water pump speed so its not on very much and varies with cabin temp/altitude
P

Ours is just one outlet and has worked well for bigger cabins with 8-10 seats as well.

We looked into a closed copper loop with chemicals, but I didnt want to ship it with liquids inside. I could make it so the pilots have a filler valve and fill themselves upon receiving the unit. But so far, its the open loop system.

Our bluetooth thermostat is going to be shipping soon, this will regulate the water pump speed so its not on very much and varies with cabin temp/altitude
P

That is a good idea. I used a pot switch for my water pump and fan but blew them both out so switched both back to rocker switches.

How Many CFM?
I am using a 230 CFM fan that seems to move a lot of air.

We're on track to ship 50x IceBox orders out this week, and all orders will be filled.

Let us know if you'd like to get an IceBox while they are in stock
Phillip

I don't have a need at the moment, but I think this is a great success story. Less than $400 and a bag of ice to cool the cabin; the factory air conditioning option on an SR-22 (option! at nearly $700k base!) lists for $21,900. One pilot told me he spent less than that to install air conditioning for over 2,000 sq ft. in his house. Or consider an automotive A/C compressor is a $250 part.

Making GA more accessible, when there is so much making it so inaccessible, and the solution doesn't even require lifting the cowling.

I was trying to figure out how much the equipped system would weigh, ready to cool.

From your website it looks like the cooler is 10 pounds empty, + 35 pounds ice + 1 gallon (6 pounds?) of water = 51 pounds total.

With the gel packs instead of ice: cooler 10 pounds + (2 pounds/pack * 10 packs) = 20 pounds + 1 gallon (6 pounds) of water = 36 pounds total.

Are those weights about correct?

Thanks,

- Josh

Hey guys, yep those are correct on the weights if you load them full. You shed weight if you have W/B and CG requirements in your baggage compartment. And CFM for ours is 220.
>>>>
We got a lot of orders yesterday for the accessories and different options for the IceBox kit.
I changed the website's e-commerce for a shopping cart now.

We have an E-store now, No more Paypal checkout.
http://switchboxcontrol.com/icebox/

I was trying to figure out how much the equipped system would weigh, ready to cool.

From your website it looks like the cooler is 10 pounds empty, + 35 pounds ice + 1 gallon (6 pounds?) of water = 51 pounds total.

- Josh

And I thought my wife baggage was heavy. 51 pounds!! That's an hour of fuel in my Mooney. Not to mention how do you get it in and how do you get it out without spilling the water. Is in there something smaller and lighter?

José

Coupon code for free shipping on our site for the full system is:
freeshipfullkit

You can apply it during checkout for the free shipping promo

Phillip

In Stock this weekend -- 12V and 24V models. PM me if interested, while this batch is in stock.

We got approached by a couple more online Pilot Store retailers in the midwest and west coast. You'll probably see the google Ads and magazine spots getting the word out.

IceBoxInStock.JPG

Aircraft Spruce is sponsoring the EAA Oshkosh build-a-plane week with SwitchBox. Check in for promos if you're interested. Going to be a very busy summer for us.

AircraftSpruceEAAPromo_201405.jpg

Thanks for the overwhelming weekend orders you guys, we're gonna be sold out soon!
Wild growth the IceBox has had since last summer.

Thanks everyone
P

Weather in New England has been great, and finally IceBox ready.

It was around 80F in Westerly, RI and I took my CFII up for some approaches and holds.
* He is going to buy one now and in general, a lot of the orders are CFIs and Flight Schools in Arizona and Florida. A few guys at the field put orders down because we have some Cirrus pilots using it in this area even with factory AC installed (for pre-cooling the cabin) *

I brought the IceBox out to the plane and used gel packs for the flight. I used the locking hose we put together last week, that can be removed after each flight by squeezing and lifting the hose off. It worked great in all unusual attitudes and can be adjusted at all angles, Success on that mod. The weather was 75 at altitude and only 80 on the ground, but when the plane was left on the ramp it became 90F inside and the IceBox helped pre-cool the plane with the Aux Battery and Pilot Cable. This is how we use it for each flight during the pre-flight phase and post-flight for draining the IceBox. Pics below and video post soon.

IceBox201405_1.JPG

IceBox201405_1a.JPG

IceBox201405_2.JPG

IceBox201405_3.JPG

IceBox201405_4.JPG

IceBox201405_5.JPG

Thanks for all the orders yesterday, all shipped out to you guys.

Stock is getting pretty thin on the 24V, but we have the 12V in stock at the moment.

12V/24Vs are in stock and just replied to your PMs for new orders.

Looks like most are going to Tennesee, Florida and Georgia this week
P

Great news over here. You guys have ordered so many of these IceBox coolers, that we have significantly expanded every month. The push from Aircraft Spruce and the direct orders here are changing the entire project.

New CNC space in Warwick, a larger team of engineers from different industries now, and new technology coming out soon. Will post shortly, thanks everyone.

Almost sold out again, but no backorders in our system.

IceBoxWarwick.jpg

Thanks for the support everyone, all orders shipped. No backlog

Back