FS: Cherokee 140

BigBadLou

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Lou
Our li'l Cherokee is finally for sale. 1969 model 140 (150hp) with fixed gear, two wings, one propeller, one tail and a lot of goodies.

6500 TTAF, 330 SMOH, always in dry south climate, never up north, no corrosion.
I have all logbooks, original POH, all papers.
She holds 50 gallons (48 usable) which gives you over 5 hours of flight time.
She just came out of an annual a month ago.

Engine: 150hp O-320, 330 SMOH, Titan ECI cylinders (NOT the bad ones under AD), great compressions 79/80 all cylinders, a few new spark plugs, new alternator belt, lightweight Skytec starter, new battery (she cranks like crazy even in the winter). Primer lines, new oil cooler hoses (that was one expensive AD), all new SCAT hoses, the engine purrs like a kitten.

Interior: Ram horn yokes with PTT switches on both, 4-place intercom. Manual flap handle, ceiling trim hand crank, OAT, decent luggage space w/hat rack.
Blue fabric seats, dark green-ish/grey-ish carpets, good shape, no bad smells, no stains, no rips, no rats, no spiders.

Exterior: paint in good shape except for top of wings. One of the previous owners sprayed clear coat on them to protect the beautiful shiny paint and now the clear coat is dull and even flaking off. Once it is gone, the wings will look shiny clean.
Fuel caps hold tight seal, no water intrusion even after a heavy rain storm. Love those caps!

Avionics:
KX155 Nav/Com w/GS
KI209A CDI (for Nav and GPS signal)
KY97A Com2
KA134 audio panel
Marker beacon
KT76A transponder
KLN94 IFR color GPS
KMD150 VFR GPS (backup)
Vertical card compass
($7k in recent avionics work)

I can sent pictures of logbooks upon request.
I am asking $29.9k and she is located in Austin, TX with a lot of students and other pilots around so she will go fast.

EDIT: Added pictures. (I wonder if the original ones got removed in the forum SW move)

Attachments

• 30e5d977ba02fda835e22cf33731b2e8.jpg
    30e5d977ba02fda835e22cf33731b2e8.jpg
    738.7 KB · Views: 143
  • 563ab9943cd2999ef8a5530d3d59a251.jpg
    563ab9943cd2999ef8a5530d3d59a251.jpg
    659.3 KB · Views: 134
  • Img_1146.jpg
    Img_1146.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 121
  • Img_1147.jpg
    Img_1147.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 121
  • Img_1148.jpg
    Img_1148.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 128
  • Img_1154.jpg
    Img_1154.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 134
  • Img_1155.jpg
    Img_1155.jpg
    209.1 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
What's the useful load?

IIRC 965lbs or so. So 3 adults with fuel is np, 4 adults and you're on fumes. Though 10 gallons of fuel for a 1/2-hr run for a burger is still enough in that case. :)

There's a video somewhere on them Ynterwebs of our 3-guy trip to a nearby airshow and it was fun. I'll find it and post it here.

I can vouch for the fact that Lou has taken wonderful care of that plane and flew it well.

IIRC 965lbs or so. So 3 adults with fuel is np, 4 adults and you're on fumes. Though 10 gallons of fuel for a 1/2-hr run for a burger is still enough in that case. :)

There's a video somewhere on them Ynterwebs of our 3-guy trip to a nearby airshow and it was fun. I'll find it and post it here.

Wow, that's a lot for a 140. I actually think it has more useful then my 180. Maybe it's the engine in the 180 that makes up the difference or I have heavier instrumentation..but yeah that's pretty good :)

Dangit, I should have double-checked. It is only 825, sorry.
Thanks for calling me out on it. I thought I had it memorized. This gets to show I'm getting old. Checklists, checklists, checklists. :)

Dangit, I should have double-checked. It is only 825, sorry.

Thanks for calling me out on it. I thought I had it memorized. This gets to show I'm getting old. Checklists, checklists, checklists. :)

Maybe we should call you out on your price too! :)

Wish you were closer...then I might be interested.
People buy planes across the country all the time. That's a sweet bird, go for it! Lou's a good guy!

So, Lou what are you moving into?

That's a sweet bird, go for it! Lou's a good guy!
Um, why would you say that?? This is PoA, we don't say nice things about each other. ;) Or have you been talking to my wife?? :D

So, Lou what are you moving into?
I already made an offer on a sweet sweet bird (hint) but won't disclose it here until she's actually mine.
But logically, she is bigger, faster, more powerful and more complex. :D

Now now...

Under 30K for that type of bird is a really good price. Hope you sell it quick Lou!

True. We live in a prime student area and it is pretty hot nowadays. Already got a few "interested" people who want to look at her.
With all the avionics and other upgrades, I have maybe extra $10k in her. :eek:

You're selling one of your own, no?

Funny thing, the website won't let me edit the original post.

UPDATE:
Thick canvas cover included. It covers the whole cockpit to protect the windows, interior and avionics from sun when you park her outside. Very easy to throw on and tie down with two big 2" snaps.

True. We live in a prime student area and it is pretty hot nowadays. Already got a few "interested" people who want to look at her.
With all the avionics and other upgrades, I have maybe extra $10k in her. :eek:

You're selling one of your own, no?

Yep: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87594

What are your plans after you sell it? Bigger plane?

I really don't know what I'm going to end up with after I sell mine. I do want something a bit faster and roomier. Family is getting bigger and we barely had enough room to up and back to North Carolina over Christmas. Course..we did take all the presents with us as well. Had to tell my son that the plastic bag he sat next to for 3 hours was "clothing"...:goofy: ;)

What are your plans after you sell it? Bigger plane?

I really don't know what I'm going to end up with after I sell mine. I do want something a bit faster and roomier.

As I mentioned before, I am not telling yet what I'm getting, don't want to jinx the deal. (prebuy hasn't even happened yet)

It took me months to arrive at a conclusion what to get. It is not an easy process but you need to weed out models that won't fit your mission and stick with the ones that will. Good luck, that is the best part of upgrading. :)

As I mentioned before, I am not telling yet what I'm getting, don't want to jinx the deal. (prebuy hasn't even happened yet)

It took me months to arrive at a conclusion what to get. It is not an easy process but you need to weed out models that won't fit your mission and stick with the ones that will. Good luck, that is the best part of upgrading. :)

C-47?

800px-Douglas_c47-a_skytrain_n1944a_cotswoldairshow_2010_arp.jpg

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Narp. Don't have a tail-wheel endorsement. :(

Your plane is just a little older than mine. N8262N Trying to upload sme Pics but to no avail

People buy planes across the country all the time.

This is something I DO NOT understand!

I have a C150 for sale, and people are calling from all over the world...but why? This is the third most popular aircraft ever made, and the most popular 2 seat ever made...there aren't any nearer than a state or two away???? Patience! One will be for sale near you soon!

I could understand when I was selling my 1942 L2, or my Tri-Q2...those are rare (or rarer) birds...but a Cessna 150, or Cherokee 140? I won't look more than a state away. But then again, I can wait 6 months or a year, and it doesn't bother me.

Tim,

The problem usually isn't the inventory, it's the quality of the goods. At my home field there are at least 3-4 152's just sitting around, same for the 140/160. In over a year I've never seen any of them fly. I'm there pretty frequently, but I suppose at some point they have to if they want to keep them airworthy. Heck I know a few CFI's that get paid to fly brand new Bonanza's and Cirrus aircraft around the pattern because the owners can't be bothered to show up once a week and take care of their $500,000 investment.

It looks like Lou is taking good care of that plane, so if I was deciding between "local field special" and something 3 states away that can be proven via documentation and a pre-buy to be better, I'll take the plane 3 states away anyday.

Plus, you get to fly it home which is even more fun :).

Funny thing. I got a few emails from my CraigsList posting and the "buyers" sounded human, they asked the right kind of questions, asked about local airports and then eventually (since I never provided my phone number), the conversation ceased.

If these are scammers, they are getting way into it and kudos to them for posing as pilots with local airport knowledge etc.
If they are not scammers, they stopped showing interest without even seeing the plane. *shrug*

Just thought it was interesting and possibly entertaining.

Tell them if they will pay you with a TBM900, you'll happily cash it and send them back the Cherokee as their change.

Oh you are good, sir, very good. :D
(as in "I see you, stalker!" LOL)

As it turns out, one of the CL "buyers" (whether legit or not) finally showed his true colors (no, I am not racist) and offered 60%. That's a little too low even for a low-ball. :D

It turns out, we might actually start a flying club here with her. Possibly a student flying club to make flight training more affordable (who has $200 to blow on a ragged-out INOP-sticker ridden flight-school Skyhawk?)
So if you know anybody in the area who wants to get a PPL (or IR too) and either cannot afford or cannot swallow the flight school rental prices, tell them to talk to me.

18k is waaaay to low for that airframe as advertised.

Counter him back at $35k and see how he reacts.

Funny thing. I got a few emails from my CraigsList posting and the "buyers" sounded human, they asked the right kind of questions, asked about local airports and then eventually (since I never provided my phone number), the conversation ceased.

If these are scammers, they are getting way into it and kudos to them for posing as pilots with local airport knowledge etc.
If they are not scammers, they stopped showing interest without even seeing the plane. *shrug*

If you get one thats suspicious, google the phone number - they are likely already showing up on the scam boards. I had a motorcycle up and posted the ad 2-3 times. The same guy kept calling me with the same scam story about "i'm in the military on a florida base and buying this for my son in Virginia".. He didn't realize that he kept calling the same person trying to push the same scam. His phone number was all over the internet with warnings.

Oh, I've gotten my share of scammers too, but several are legit buyers.

And I know what you mean about the hangar queens, my field has them too. But I make a hobby out of looking at "for sale ads" for planes, and nice C150's, C172's, and 140's go up for sale at a rate of about 3 a year each in my state. But, that would mean waiting 4 months, on average, for a nearby one to go up for sale, and in this day and age, everyone wants everything NOW! LOL

If you get one thats suspicious, google the phone number - they are likely already showing up on the scam boards. I had a motorcycle up and posted the ad 2-3 times. The same guy kept calling me with the same scam story about "i'm in the military on a florida base and buying this for my son in Virginia".. He didn't realize that he kept calling the same person trying to push the same scam. His phone number was all over the internet with warnings.

I had a co-worker who was looking for a diesel pickup. He saw a guy on the Seattle Craigslist with a Duramax Silverado at about 1/2 of what it should have been for the truck, mileage and what was done to it. Plus it was in VA, advertising in Seattle...
We decided to have fun with him. My co-worker sent an email and got the typical "send me a cashiers check and I'll ship it to you" nonsense. We responded with "actually you aren't far from Quantico and I'm going to be doing some training at the FBI academy next week-maybe I could stop by between classes?"

The ad was down and email shut off in record time...

Tim,

The problem usually isn't the inventory, it's the quality of the goods. At my home field there are at least 3-4 152's just sitting around, same for the 140/160. In over a year I've never seen any of them fly. I'm there pretty frequently, but I suppose at some point they have to if they want to keep them airworthy. Heck I know a few CFI's that get paid to fly brand new Bonanza's and Cirrus aircraft around the pattern because the owners can't be bothered to show up once a week and take care of their $500,000 investment.

It looks like Lou is taking good care of that plane, so if I was deciding between "local field special" and something 3 states away that can be proven via documentation and a pre-buy to be better, I'll take the plane 3 states away anyday.

Plus, you get to fly it home which is even more fun :).

that's exactly it. It's like buying used cars. No 2 are exactly the same. And take into consideration how many fewer planes were produced and the number of years since production. That gives you a huge range of conditions.

that's exactly it. It's like buying used cars. No 2 are exactly the same. And take into consideration how many fewer planes were produced and the number of years since production. That gives you a huge range of conditions.

True, although Cirruses within a certain age range seem to be pretty darn close. Of course with used anything, it's all about condition, condition, condition.

Craigslist also attracts lots of "browsers" (also known as tire kickers, dreamers, etc.) that stumble across your Piper ad while they were searching for a lawnmower or pickup or whatever, see the price and get all excited. After googling the cost of aircraft ownership they've probably moved on to looking at jet skis or log splitters, or whatever.

Last edited:
I added pictures back to the first post. Not where where the original pictures went, maybe they got lost in our forums SW move.

The serious contract I had on her fell through due to financing issues so she is back on the market if anybody is interested.

Don't know what issues they had, but it amazes me how some many people have such bad credit. Many people are getting turned down for car loans these days. My cousin worked in a Nissan dealership. It's not that difficult, pay your bills on time and don't buy what you can't afford. I think the latter is what gets many in trouble. Everybody wants everything, even things they KNOW that they can't afford.

Back