FS: 1978 Piper Aerostar 601P (Los Angeles, CA)

stratobee

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
stratobee
FS: 1978 Piper Aerostar 601P (Dothan, AL)

The time has come to unfortunately sell my beloved 1978 Aerostar 601P, as I have other financial commitments. I've spend over $133K+ on this in last year - everything firewall forward is new or overhauled. Everything works, All SB's all AD's complied with. Great plane that's been well taken care of. A pressurised rocket that burns 25gph doing 200kts or can go as fast as 235kts. Just pick her up and fly away.

Airframe:
3566 TT

Engines:
L/R: 50 SMOH (done by One Stop Aviation in Ocenaside, CA)
Turbo's O/H
Wastegates O/H
All accessories O/H
All hoses new firewall forward
Throttle cables new
Mixture cables new
Prop cables new
Overhauled turbo scavenge pumps

Props:
L/R: 74 SPOH. De-iced.
New style V-hubs without the AD.

Avionics:
Garmin 430 WAAS full IFR
Collins NAV/COM
Collins TXP - just overhauled.
Collins ADF
Bendix W/X Radar - works perfectly
Shadin Totalizer/FF
HSI
Standby Electric AI
Dual GS/ILS
Century IV A/P - works like a charm and captures

Exterior:
Paint 8/10. White with maroon and black stripes. A coaster sized patch missing on tailcone. Some slight ice damage on fuselage R side. Will be delivered waxed and shiny.

Interior:
The usual late 70's style. I'd say 5-6/10. Upholstery is good and everything works fine, just not very stylish. Mid seat swivels and can be made into a bed. Has foldable table.

Upgrades:
Machen Inconel Exhaust
Machen VG kit
Machen Heavy duty drag brace
Machen heavy duty torque links
New battery
Aux Hydraulic
Air Conditoner electric (needs a little refill, I think)
New discs
New pads
Eng fire detection kit upgrade
De-iced wings (boots in good shape)
Alphabeam LED landing lights
De-iced hot plate

Annual:
In annual until July 2015.
All AD's and SB's complied with

PRICE: $155K

All logbooks complete. I have most of them on file digitally.

I prefer to use a title company/escrow, as it protects all parties. Please PM me if you're interested.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 448
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 352
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    159 KB · Views: 434
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 342
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    153.5 KB · Views: 352
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 308
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 335
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:
Damn - that airplane would be SO worth the divorce! ;)

ROFL!

That's more airplane than I would know what to do with, but she's sure going to make someone happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Price reduced to $145K. I'm now giving the plane away for free and just covering the costs of the engine O/H's. Sucks for me, great for buyers. :(:eek::goofy::thumbsup:

This particular aircraft has had no major squawks whatsoever since engine o/h. I fly her every week - done 3 long trips in Jan alone. She's as solid as they come and you can just fly her away and everything works (except the AC not blowing very cold). New MLG tires, new tach and slight ice damage repaired in Jan 2015.

Also, the most miserly twin to run when it comes to fuel. It'll burn less than 25gal/hr doing 190-195KTAS all day long down low, 200-210KTAS up high.

Looks good. How well does it perform up high? Just looking at the flightaware history doesn't look like you fly it where it needs pressurization.

I have an old Bonanza, a couple a vintage Porsches, a decent mcIntosh tube stereo, a signed Ted Williams baseball, a barcalounger in leather, and two cases of diet Dr Pepper. Can we make some kind of deal here? :D

Seriously though, that's a great plane and price for the utility and times. These planes take a while to sell. I think just be patient, you've got the right product we all agree, now find the guy with the cash-ola. I bought that ranchette in NM with my space bucks or I'd come visit.

If only I were a little younger. And IFR rated with more hours. And type rated. And rich.

She's a beauty.

Holy sweet baby Jesus; exactly what I'm looking for, but about 16 months early (kids leave college next May).

Gotta talk to the checkbook holder. She wants to visit them monthly (660nm each way direct/14 hr drive).

She hates debt, and this would mean the kids would need student loans to finish out college. We shall see what's more important.

She wants to visit them monthly (660nm each way direct/14 hr drive).

Take if from me, this will not likely last. I have a 2 hour flight to visit my kids out of college now. We thought we would be down(or up) every couple of months. You soon realize that they really did grow up, and they really are on their own. Visiting so often puts a pretty clear strain on all involved. We do about 2 times a year or so. Holidays, if they like.

However, if I'm wrong, this is the exact tool you need to get the job done. :yes:

Maybe he'll finance for a few years?

Take if from me, this will not likely last. I have a 2 hour flight to visit my kids out of college now. We thought we would be down(or up) every couple of months. You soon realize that they really did grow up, and they really are on their own. Visiting so often puts a pretty clear strain on all involved. We do about 2 times a year or so. Holidays, if they like.

However, if I'm wrong, this is the exact tool you need to get the job done. :yes:

Maybe he'll finance for a few years?

Oh, I know. My ROE is 2x/ year not more than 3 full days+ travel. She'll figure it out soon enough, but until then why pass up the chance to get into a great platform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

All depends on your family situation. I specifically chose a college that was harder for my mom to get to so she wouldn't visit that often. Of course in 4 years she only visited 3 times (move me in freshman year, move me in junior year, move me out/graduation), and that was, perhaps, a bit less than I wanted. They'll want to come home, too.

But my relationship with my mom is so-so, always has been. I know people who have great relationships with their parents and, as adults, are happy seeing them weekly or even daily.

More to the point on the Aerostar, they are planes that have a definite nice - efficient and fast. Prior to having 3 kids I would consider one as a 310 replacement if the need arose, but now I think if I have to replace the 310 I'll have to go bigger.

Looks good. How well does it perform up high? Just looking at the flightaware history doesn't look like you fly it where it needs pressurization.

It's nice to have still. Cabin at 4000ft when you cruise at 12000 or 14000. Makes you less tired.

Seriously though, that's a great plane and price for the utility and times. These planes take a while to sell. I think just be patient, you've got the right product we all agree, now find the guy with the cash-ola. I bought that ranchette in NM with my space bucks or I'd come visit.

Thanks. Yes, there's always the right buyer out there and I have had a lot of interest over the phone, but hardly anyone come see it. The odd dreamer aside, I think twins in general but especially these aircraft are in a tricky bracket. Most people who have this in cash also has $300K more to get the newer glass panel Baron etc, which is more of a known entity. I'm also over at BeechTalk, and the Barons and Bonanzas that come for sale there don't last. Aerostars people don't know about to the same degree, they have a rep for being difficult to fly (which isn't true) so it's a harder sell. Bang for buck, it's more capable than a Baron. I think they're undervalued in the same vein as the MU-2's are. But the market speaks and I have to price her accordingly. Sucks for me, but good for buyers.

Plane buyers are a similar to house buyers. Unless it's all done up, white walls and new kitchen, they're less interested. They want new, or at least the semblance of new. If I had put the money on a new glass panel, new interior, new paint and hung used halftime engines on, it would have sold much quicker and I would have saved money. People buy with their eyes.

It's an interesting subject; what makes a plane sellable. Perhaps best suited for a separate thread.

Last edited:
Two things I see that keep the Aerostar from selling like the Baron 58P. First is the legacy aspect where the Aerostar is seen right or wrong as a orphan. Technically, the Baron is still not a orphan, although the trail back through all the corp entities to 'Beechcraft' is long and tortured, there is a 'Beechcraft' somewhere, but there is no Aerostar. However, there are several type support companies that keep the Aerostar well supported.

Second the Aerostar has a rep as a 'hot rod' ship, but when you compare the fuel burn and speed to the 58P there really isn't a niggling amount of improvement in every day block times. Maybe here and there, a little benefit to the Aerostar, but on a year over year basis nothing massive.

I would choose the Aerostar over the Baron in almost all cases, but that's just me. I think the Aerostar is one of the best looking piston planes ever. I drool to roll up to KCOS in one and unfold the door to nice new snow on the mtns. Sigh...

I think you're right, Docmirror. It's so funny because the A* really is a water divider in the looks department. Many people come up and say how much they love the look of it. But I also have a lot who don't care for the looks at all! Say its ugly. I'm kind of on the fence - think they look great in single color schemes, but not that good with the traditional midriff striped scheme. Which is pretty much 99% of them out there, including mine.

Two old codgers at my airport don't even stop by and chit chat with me anymore on the ramp like they always used to do when I had the Commander. They don't like the Aerostar. There's something about Commanders that bring people out of the woodwork to chat, especially the older guys. Like a little secret cult. Don't know what it is.

Last edited:
The little knots do add up, but usually more in cost savings long term than time (assuming same fuel burn). That also requires the airplane is equally reliable.

It's nice to have still. Cabin at 4000ft when you cruise at 12000 or 14000. Makes you less tired.

Thanks. Yes, there's always the right buyer out there and I have had a lot of interest over the phone, but hardly anyone come see it. The odd dreamer aside, I think twins in general but especially these aircraft are in a tricky bracket. Most people who have this in cash also has $300K more to get the newer glass panel Baron etc, which is more of a known entity. I'm also over at BeechTalk, and the Barons and Bonanzas that come for sale there don't last. Aerostars people don't know about to the same degree, they have a rep for being difficult to fly (which isn't true) so it's a harder sell. Bang for buck, it's more capable than a Baron. I think they're undervalued in the same vein as the MU-2's are. But the market speaks and I have to price her accordingly. Sucks for me, but good for buyers.

Plane buyers are a similar to house buyers. Unless it's all done up, white walls and new kitchen, they're less interested. They want new, or at least the semblance of new. If I had put the money on a new glass panel, new interior, new paint and hung used halftime engines on, it would have sold much quicker and I would have saved money. People buy with their eyes.

It's an interesting subject; what makes a plane sellable. Perhaps best suited for a separate thread.

The Beech 18 and Aerostar are similar in that the most difficult thing about their operation is the taxi.

I think you're right, Docmirror. It's so funny because the A* really is a water divider in the looks department. Many people come up and say how much they love the look of it. But I also have a lot who don't care for the looks at all! Say its ugly. I'm kind of on the fence - think they look great in single color schemes, but not that good with the traditional midriff striped scheme. Which is pretty much 99% of them out there, including mine.

Two old codgers at my airport don't even stop by and chit chat with me anymore on the ramp like they always used to do when I had the Commander. They don't like the Aerostar. There's something about Commanders that bring people out of the woodwork to chat, especially the older guys. Like a little secret cult. Don't know what it is.

Funny since they are both Ted Smith airplanes.

Aircraft has been placed with Don Smith at Aerostar World in Dothan, Alabama. Flew her in yesterday and dropped her off (KDHN treated me to an ILS to minimums, thanks a lot). I've been working like crazy this year and have missed opportunities to show it etc, so this is the best solution for me right now. Also, he has a lot more traffic from people that are already into Aerostars. I also bought it from him and can highly recommend him.

Don's outfit is a full service center with both maintenance, training and sales of only Aerostars. Don has a mind boggling 17000hrs in Aerostars alone, used to work for Ted Smith and knows everything there is to know about them. He can do upgrades, train you, annual, pre-buy right there. Want an upgrade? Don has a used part on the shelf. It's a full stop shop.

Plane isn't up on website yet, but should be in a week or so. Price is the same as the previous lowered. So for those interested, please contact Don:

http://www.aerostarworld.com

Thank you.

Price has been reduced to $143,500 on Aerostarwold's website. Will be sold with fresh annual when it expires in June. Balancing props as we speak and fixing some minor cosmetics as well.

I'll probably take plane off market if it doesn't sell soon and keep her. I don't need the money at the moment and she's a good plane that won't cost much to keep running for the foreseeable future.

If I had a need to travel a lot, I'd be on your doorstep with a mechanic in tow. Those are honest airplanes that'll keep you honest in staying sharp to fly them; and they scoot. Sorry you haven't found a buyer yet. Someone will want her.

stratobee

Ihave been looking for a six seater single for my family. would be interested but not sure if I can insured for twin.

Which airport is the airplane located at?

Never mind, I was thinking it was still in LA area.
I just read you, have dropped it off i Alabama.

Bringing it back to LA soon, unless it sells. You can come have a look at it at EMT when it gets back.

great let me know when it gets here. I have gone above EMT many a times going to FUL.

Do you think, I will be able to get insurance? have about 380 hrs in C-172, getting ready to take IFR check ride soon.

stratobee

Ihave been looking for a six seater single for my family. would be interested but not sure if I can insured for twin.

Which airport is the airplane located at?

You can get insured, it's just a matter of meeting the training qualifications the insurance company is going to put on you. Very likely if you are low multi time, they are going to require you to use Flight Safety, Simcom, or some other program. Sim based programs will offer you the best value even if it costs more than an in plane option, because they let you crash. I would recommend it.

The switch to multi is not really a physically complex one, they are no harder to fly. What makes it more complex is that it provides more options in an emergency, and sometimes the choice is too complex to accurately figure in the middle of the emergency, so you have to plan all your take off emergency responses before you get in the plane. Since every take off is different, you have to individually 'brief' every one.

That's really the only big difference between flying singles and twins, and nothing buys safety like horsepower, and the best place to learn what reduced horsepower on a single engine will buy you, and more importantly what it won't, is in the sim.

Last edited:
You can get insured, it's just a matter of meeting the training qualifications the insurance company is going to put on you. Very likely if you are low multi time, they are going to require you to use Flight Safety, Simcom, or some other program. Sim based programs will offer you the best value even if it costs more than an in plane option, because they let you crash. I would recommend it.

The switch to multi is not really a physically complex one, they are no harder to fly. What makes it more complex is that it provides more options in an emergency, and sometimes the choice is too complex to accurately figure in the middle of the emergency, so you have to plan all your take off emergency responses before you get in the plane. Since every take off is different, you have to individually 'brief' every one.

That's really the only big difference between flying singles and twins, and nothing buys safety like horsepower, and the best place to learn what reduced horsepower on a single engine will buy you, and more importantly what it won't, is in the sim.

Thanks for the advice Henning. Good to hear from you are still back east?

Thanks for the advice Henning. Good to hear from you are still back east?

Yep, up around DC at the moment. BTW, I know a CFI that was Ted Smith's test pilot for the Aerostar, I knew him through Foley's at LGB, and I recently saw his old 170 there. If you buy this, I'll try to hook you up, I think I can still find him.

Last edited:
Man, I hope this works out. Knowing that plane is available has been killing me! I soooooo want it, but alas, it is not to be. Hope it goes to a good home and gets flown a lot. What a sweet bird.

Getting new annual done now, so should have fresh annual until June 2016. Fixing some squawks as well that Don had found:

Overhauling fuel valve that apparently had started leaking slightly.
Overhauling hydraulic pump.
Replacing both EGT probes.
Fixing discrepancy in oil temp gage/probe. One was a little higher than the other.

Also, this will preclude me from getting her back to LA soon, so all inquiries should still be directed towards Don at AerostarWorld. Aircraft can still be shown and Don is happy to fly her to you if you can't come (provided you're not too far away) for some fuel money.

New price $135K. Fresh annual.

Back