FS 1955 Cessna 170B

alaskaflyer

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Alaskaflyer
SOLD 1955 Cessna 170B

FS • 1955 Cessna 170B. TTAF 3023, SMOH 113 on Franklin 165hp engine(6A-165-B3). 8.50x6 Goodyear tires, dual-puck brakes, BAS tail pull handles and BAS seatbelts, one-piece windshield, p-ponk gearbox mod, VG’s, spin-on oil filter, custom panel, mogas STC, LED nav/landing lights, Narco Nav 122, KA134, new Icom IC-A210 comm radio. Many items new or overhauled in recent years, Interior 6-7, exterior 6. Winter wing and tail covers included, some spare parts. $37,000

IMG_0773.JPG

Annual just finished and signed off Feb, '14. Currently located outside Minneapolis at Flying Cloud Airport. More pics here: http://bit.ly/1fdDbgH

PM or for faster contact use my email link.

**SOLD**

Last edited:
How was the trip?

Beautiful airplane, kept in a hangar and obviously taken good care of. Sound like a good buy! Plus it's the good one, a B.

B Flaps are much better. Most who fly them prefer the B. They are most popular of the two which is why they are pricier.

A classic airplane.

At age 8 I had my first airplane ride in a 170, and I got to fly it a little. I was hooked. :yes:

Last edited:
They both were plentiful when I flew in a B model in the 60s. There was no question by the owners which one was better and why. As time went on the B was still flying and still is. Very seldom have I seen an A. After your argument about it being ok to leave an aircraft outside, that it didn't bother it. I don't have much faith in your observations or your judgement.

They both were plentiful when I flew in a B model in the 60s. There was no question by the owners which one was better and why. As time went on the B was still flying and still is. Very seldom have I seen an A. After your argument about it being ok to leave an aircraft outside, that it didn't bother it. I don't have much faith in your observations or your judgement.
Think what you like, I've owned and restored 3, 170s flown well over 400 hours in them. You can put the 48 rag wing or 49-52 (-A) into any airfield that you can put a 52-57 (-B) simply slip it,

I weighed 3934V today. empty weight is 1125# there isn't a B out there that weighs less than 1300#unless some has stripped it clean to do off field work.

yes the -B is more favored because you can be lazy and do a steep final to the numbers.

How is the parts situation on the Franklins these days ?
I read the Stinson group on Yahoo Groups and there is extensive discussion of Franklin engines there, and one regular poster has a business that deals in Franklin Engines and parts. It apparently was her mother's business, and she is continuing the business as best she can. The best I can figure is that parts are somewhat available, and parts may or may not be made in the future. There is a lot of discussion about getting groups together for buys and production runs, including for spark plugs.

How is the parts situation on the Franklins these days ?

I have no clue, UPer's was the last one I've done.

They are out there but they are a chase.

Down the road one day. For now I have no time to fly in my current circumstances, being away all summer and much of fall.

Yes, will be based on a private strip east of Seattle somewhere but maintained up at Arlington (I think).

We have a fairly nice boat for now, on which I can spend $MMU instead.

Yes, will be based on a private strip east of Seattle somewhere but maintained up at Arlington (I think).

We have a fairly nice boat for now, on which I can spend $MMU instead.

I talked to Travis, he will be bringing it by for me. she's coming home.

I understand it is difficult to commute to Isle Royal in an aircraft. :)

Back