Frustrating "read new post" behavior

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
I usually read the board by clicking "New Posts" and then click "go to first new post" icon to the left of the Thread title, which opens the thread with what I assume to be the first post in the thread since my last read. (oh yea, Thread Display mode is Hybrid). In a busy thread, there may be more than one post since I last read it, scattered hither and yon (that's the hidden display parameter H_Y mode) throughout the thread.

So, after reading the post I was taken to, I reach up and click the next (of some or many) Yellow icon (indicating unread messages) to the left of the thread title. Many times doing this (can't tell you if it's ALL the time - I suspect it's somewhat intermittant), ALL the Unread messages (yellow) are set to Read (not red, Read, meaning Blue) :) (Geez, I'm not gonna get any help if I keep THIS up!) ...

Anyway, upshot is I've just lost the indicator for new unread posts. In a long thread, I now have to guess based on post timestamp what I've read or not...

I'd love to help you with this one but... I hate hybrid mode. I always use linear.

I haven't got a clue about the hybrid functions or how they work. :(

Greebo said:
I'd love to help you with this one but... I hate hybrid mode. I always use linear.

I haven't got a clue about the hybrid functions or how they work. :(
"selecting linear mode now... preparing for retraining..."

gkainz said:
"selecting linear mode now... preparing for retraining..."

Greg,

I use Hybrid mode. I also tend to open up all, or at least a big chunk, of the threads with new posts in separate tabs. That way when I'm on a slow connection the next several threads are loading while I'm reading the first.

Anyway, I've noticed that once you click on a thread it seems to have a timeout, much like the previous version of vBulletin did for all of the threads (visit anywhere, all messages are marked read 15 mins later).

So, at least if you're being slow, 10 or 15 mins after you open a thread, it seems to think you've read all the messages. Note, however, that I'm *not* clicking on individual messages.

*wishing there were a way to show only new messages in a thread... all of them at the same time, but only the new ones... Guess I still like the way the old AOPA board worked...*

Back