Frustrated

He's not completely wrong there Henry, except I would skip the 172. If I was buying with partners (or individually) I'd buy a minimum of a 182 or a Bonanza. Regardless of what you may hear, people buy these planes on a regular basis before they take lesson one and learn to fly in them. It really does work and it is insurable. Buy your last plane first (or at least 7-10 year plane) is the cheapest way to do it.

If I would have known at the beginning what I knew at 100hrs, I would have bought my Travelair before I took a lesson.
I know a guy who got his private in a 210. Sure it took him a bit longer, but he ended up with a PPL and being able to fly his airplane safely.

So I am a long time lurker here and just making my first post. The title says it all. I have 12 hours and am on my second instructor who I really enjoy flying with. We are flying a very nice warrior ( nice p&i, 430, 396) and the last three lessons have been a lot of fun with a lot of progression. So much so that I was scheduled to solo tomorrow.

Unfortunately I just got a call from my CFI that another student had trouble with a crosswind landing on a long cross country and bent the plane pretty good. He is ok but it looks like the plane is totaled. So on the eve of my solo I have no aircraft and it looks like it will be at least a few weeks before we will have another one to fly.

I know stuff happens and thank goodness the pilot is ok. Just wanted to vent to some people who can understand and relate!

Oh boy can I relate. I was working towards my SPL in the summer of 2010 and I was right about to solo at the end of the summer. In fact, my instructor said I was pretty much ready to solo and that weather permitting, I would do it my next time out. This was late August 2010. I didn't get to fly again until mid May 2011, because I couldn't make it back out to the airport before school started. Frustrating, but if you stick with it, it's totally worth it!

Also, if there's another FBO around, I think it's definitely worth it to take a plane out. If they don't want your instructor in their airplanes for whatever reason, it's DEFINITELY worth going up with another instructor from time to time. Mine left town for a week right after I soloed and I flew with another instructor that week and learned a TON.

Hope everything works out!

Oh boy can I relate. I was working towards my SPL in the summer of 2010 and I was right about to solo at the end of the summer. In fact, my instructor said I was pretty much ready to solo and that weather permitting, I would do it my next time out. This was late August 2010. I didn't get to fly again until mid May 2011, because I couldn't make it back out to the airport before school started. Frustrating, but if you stick with it, it's totally worth it!

Also, if there's another FBO around, I think it's definitely worth it to take a plane out. If they don't want your instructor in their airplanes for whatever reason, it's DEFINITELY worth going up with another instructor from time to time. Mine left town for a week right after I soloed and I flew with another instructor that week and learned a TON.

Hope everything works out!

I talked with my CFI last night and he still thinks it will be at least a month or more before he gets another plane to instruct in. (He owns a 172 in a partnership but they don't allow instruction in that plane :mad:). I think I am going to suck it up and make the drive to KGMU for lessons (45 min) in their Archer and see how that goes. Should be a new experience anyway flying out of a semi busy class D.

I talked with my CFI last night and he still thinks it will be at least a month or more before he gets another plane to instruct in. (He owns a 172 in a partnership but they don't allow instruction in that plane :mad:). I think I am going to suck it up and make the drive to KGMU for lessons (45 min) in their Archer and see how that goes. Should be a new experience anyway flying out of a semi busy class D.

Good decision....:yesnod::yesnod:

Good decision....:yesnod::yesnod:

Agree - and flying in/out of a class-D is a bonus. You'll get comfortable with tower operations, and your CFI will be taking you to non-towered fields for training anyway. It's the best of both worlds. Plus, you'll be flying!

I'm doing my training out of a Class C. It sure does teach you ATC communications and how to follow taxiway/runway signs! :) I'm glad I got that experience in early.

So I just got back from my flight out of the class D in their Archer. I really liked flying out of the class D. It felt more fun I guess with other airplanes actually around. All of my training so far has been at sleepy airports so it was actually kind of nice to see some activity at the airport! I didn't really have any problem with communicating with the tower after some prompting from my CFI. All those hours of listening to LiveATC has paid off I guess!

It was fun flying with a new CFI, but quite a change. My previous two CFI's have been 14K+ hours and are 75 and 60 respectively. Contrasting that with today's 600 hour cfi was interesting, but I really enjoyed it. She had a laid back way of explaining everything that I thought was great.

The archer was in much worse shape than the warrior I was flying previously. I guess now I see what everyone was talking about with how planes that are on leaseback are treated versus privately owned planes!

Last edited:
So I just got back from my flight out of the class D in their Archer. I really liked flying out of the class D. It felt more fun I guess with other airplanes actually around. All of my training so far has been at sleepy airports so it was actually kind of nice to see some activity at the airport! I didn't really have any problem with communicating with the tower after some prompting from my CFI. All those hours of listening to LiveATC has paid off I guess!

It was fun flying with a new CFI, but quite a change. My previous two CFI's have been 14K+ hours and are as old or older than my father. Contrasting that with today's 600 hour cfi was interesting, but I really enjoyed it. She had a laid back way of explaining everything that I thought was great.

The archer was in much worse shape than the warrior I was flying previously. I guess now I see what everyone was talking about with how planes that are on leaseback are treated versus privately owned planes!

Glad you had a great time. The radio work now will pay off in spades as you continue your flying.. Listening to Live ATC is a wonderful way to get used to the lingo......
Tailwinds.

So I just got back from my flight out of the class D in their Archer.

Very nice! Do keep us up to date! I'd be interested to hear how things go for you. Definitely keep it up, because it sure does pay off in the end :).

geeze. Okay. Your plane got dinged up and now you fly out of class D.

I'm happy for you. really I am. seriously.

But has this thread run it's course or what? page two? really? plane got totaled. Now fly a different plane. Okay. enough already.

Get back when you solo or get a license or almost crash or something interesting. I know i'm coming off gruff here, but really. What is this thread about and is it worth 2 pages...

geeze. Okay. Your plane got dinged up and now you fly out of class D.

I'm happy for you. really I am. seriously.

But has this thread run it's course or what? page two? really? plane got totaled. Now fly a different plane. Okay. enough already.

Get back when you solo or get a license or almost crash or something interesting. I know i'm coming off gruff here, but really. What is this thread about and is it worth 2 pages...

Wow. Helpful to a new student pilot. Why read both pages when you obviously got the gist of the thread so early on? This forum is called Pilot Training right?

And now this thread is 3 pages. :)

All of the weird topics go on for page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page

All of the weird topics go on for page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page after page

We are pilots...:yesnod: What do you expect.:dunno::D:lol:

Back