Frustrated and no where to go with my flight training

N918KT

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
KT
In my current flight school, they have an LSA which I wanted to fly ever since last year when I switched flight schools after my last flight school dropped its sport pilot program since their LSA was damaged. However, I have not been able to take my lessons in their LSA since it is always down for maintenance, probably down for too long. The LSA has been under maintenance for nearly a year now and I never got a chance to take my lessons in it, only took my lessons in a Cessna 152. I don't think maintenance issues should take that long. Every time I call the school up asking the status of the LSA, there is always some kind of maintenance problem, annual, or 100 hour inspections with it.

Bottom line is that I am very frustrated that the school is taking such a long time to fix the LSA. Last time I called up my school was last month, where the LSA has a propellor problem or something. Since I am the only student in their sport pilot program and also the only student who wants to fly their LSA, and since the LSA is under maintenance for a very long time, I am worried that they might sell the LSA (even though I did not hear that kind of situation) and I will be left with no LSA to train in. I mean I can still take lessons in a 152 with a CFI but I don't want to waste my money on lessons if I cannot use the 152 to become a sport pilot.

Hopefully the LSA under maintenance would be ready by this summer when I come home from college.

There is also another school further down in my state that I used to be a student with a long time ago that has a sport pilot program and LSA but I cannot go back to that school for the reasons I will not disclose. I want to but I don't think I could.

I do not know where to go in my training. Basically I am up the creek in my training without a paddle. This is partly why I made the thread awhile back on that I do not know what to do in aviation as a hobby.

Last edited:
Where are you located? There are non-LSA aircraft that meet the sport pilot limits.

In my current flight school, they have an LSA which I wanted to fly ever since last year when I switched flight schools after my last flight school dropped its sport pilot program since their LSA was damaged. However, I have not been able to take my lessons in their LSA since it is always down for maintenance, probably down for too long. The LSA has been under maintenance for nearly a year now and I never got a chance to take my lessons in it, only took my lessons in a Cessna 152. I don't think maintenance issues should take that long. Every time I call the school up asking the status of the LSA, there is always some kind of maintenance problem, annual, or 100 hour inspections with it.

Bottom line is that I am very frustrated that the school is taking such a long time to fix the LSA. Last time I called up my school was last month, where the LSA has a propellor problem or something. Since I am the only student in their sport pilot program and also the only student who wants to fly their LSA, and since the LSA is under maintenance for a very long time, I am worried that they might sell the LSA (even though I did not hear that kind of situation) and I will be left with no LSA to train in. I mean I can still take lessons in a 152 with a CFI but I don't want to waste my money on lessons if I cannot use the 152 to become a sport pilot.

Hopefully the LSA under maintenance would be ready by this summer when I come home from college.

There is also another school further down in my state that I used to be a student with a long time ago that has a sport pilot program and LSA but I cannot go back to that school for the reasons I will not disclose. I want to but I don't think I could.

I do not know where to go in my training. Basically I am up the creek in my training without a paddle.

Get all the training requirements completed in the 152, then spend a weekend at a school with an LSA and prep for your ride.

Does the school own the LSA? Often, they are owned by third parties who are losing money out every orifice. Things don't get fixed because the cash flow is negative when it flies.

Does the school own the LSA? Often, they are owned by third parties who are losing money out every orifice. Things don't get fixed because the cash flow is negative when it flies.

I think they own the LSA.

I feel your pain, but I don't have any good advice except to go for a private pilot rating in the 152 if you can pass the 3rd class medical.

I bought a CTSW with hopes of getting a light sport license. After dealing with the poor to mediocre training situation in my area, I finally gave up and got my 3rd class medical and a PP license. I haven't looked back. The training was much better, the checkride was consistent with my training, and the additional privileges of the PP rating are useful.

Good luck. Been there and done that.

You may want to go to some place with an active sport-pilot school and just get it done over a 2 week period.

What are you going to do once you have the ticket ? Are there any LSAs available for rent in your area ?

You may want to go to some place with an active sport-pilot school and just get it done over a 2 week period.

What are you going to do once you have the ticket ? Are there any LSAs available for rent in your area ?

That is another idea I was considering at one point or another. However, I am getting my first real aviation summer job this summer and I may have to work a lot of hours so I am not sure yet if they could let me off for two weeks just to do sport pilot training.

I will just be flying for fun and short hops once I get my ticket. The only 2 LSAs in my area are the one I am currently training at and another school farther down the state.

I was kind of in your situation. I was originally going to do my SP because I only wanted to fly for fun and not at night nor did I care about going above 10,000ft. My school (in Long Island) has 3 LSA. They have a lot of CFIs but only 3 were checked out in them. They messed up my first lesson and put me with someone who wasn't and I went along with it. I called they said she was being checked out in it, but next lesson a week or two later she wasn't. I caved again and went up. I finally stood my ground and requested a new instructor who was already checked out and had to wait 3 weeks to get on that schedule. We finally got a lesson and sat in the plane for 30 minutes trying to start it correctly. I caved again and went up in a 152 just to get some flight time. Another instructor gave me a ride to the train and he said how much they are always broken, and it did seem like no one flies them so getting them fixed isn't a big priority. I decided it wasn't worth the struggle throughout the entire time and am going for my PPL now. I don't regret the change, it makes my life a ton easier now.

I did my Sport and Private at Chesapeake Sport Pilot at Bay Bridge Airport W29 on Maryland's Eastern Shore. Great flight school, great airplanes (two Tecnam Eaglets and a Sierra, two Sky Arrows, and a CT, and they might be getting a Searey amphib this summer), outstanding instructors. Also, flying over the Chesapeake is pretty darn gorgeous. I'd suggest you give them a visit for however long it takes to finish up. They're first rate in all respects, and MD isn't too terribly far from where you are. Feel free to PM with any questions or anything.

And it's always good to see another younger person out there! I'm in college too...it definitely makes this whole flying thing more difficult...at least flying consistently.

Aviatrix, regarding the flight school that you went to for sport pilot training, are you talking about Nassau Flyers at Republic Airport? I go to college near Republic Airport and I thought I could incorporate my training into my school schedule but it turns out that I am so busy this semester with my AAAE club and schoolwork as well.

Anyways, I just found a flight school out in Allentown, PA that specializes in sport pilot flight training but it is a bit of a long drive from my home, but nonetheless, the driving times of that school are similar to the driving time when I was training at another flight school. If my current flight school does not fix their LSA when I get out of college for the summer, I am considering switching to that flight school in Allentown, PA.

Last edited:
I did my Sport and Private at Chesapeake Sport Pilot at Bay Bridge Airport W29 on Maryland's Eastern Shore. Great flight school, great airplanes (two Tecnam Eaglets and a Sierra, two Sky Arrows, and a CT, and they might be getting a Searey amphib this summer), outstanding instructors. Also, flying over the Chesapeake is pretty darn gorgeous. I'd suggest you give them a visit for however long it takes to finish up. They're first rate in all respects, and MD isn't too terribly far from where you are. Feel free to PM with any questions or anything.

No personal experience but I have heard nothing but good things about that operation. A lot of conventional flight-schools try to provide light-sport on the side but as it is not their priority, they do a poor job at it. It probably helps to focus on one thing the way Chesapeake does.

It's also not that far from NJ, wouldn't have to take a two week block to knock it out like going to AZ or FL would. A series of 4 day weekends should get it done. Take friday and monday off, drive down thursday night, return monday evening.

KT frequents the Sport Pilot Talk forum and I am sure that he's familiar with both Helen's and Dr. Shuch's schools. Both of them are active there.

Not much point in pursuing the SP ticket if there aren't any eligible aircraft for you to rent/fly once you get it. What is the reason you want to pursue SP? If it's economics and you've been at this for a year it doesn't sound like you're saving any money. On the positive side it sounds like all of your training so far qualifies towards a Private and if you do that you can still fly the SP airplane if that's what you want.

What is the LSA?

I ask because there is a 162 I like to rent, but it's down a lot.

Not much point in pursuing the SP ticket if there aren't any eligible aircraft for you to rent/fly once you get it. What is the reason you want to pursue SP? If it's economics and you've been at this for a year it doesn't sound like you're saving any money. On the positive side it sounds like all of your training so far qualifies towards a Private and if you do that you can still fly the SP airplane if that's what you want.

I've considered pursuing the Sport Pilot certificate just because I'm not able to fly as often as I'd like and it would personally give me a sense of accomplishment half way through my training. Is it much more than a slightly expensive stage check on your way to a PPL any way? Being a licensed Pilot would definitely keep me motivated.

KT frequents the Sport Pilot Talk forum and I am sure that he's familiar with both Helen's and Dr. Shuch's schools. Both of them are active there.

I'm going to make that drive to Chesapeake Sport Pilot soon. I've heard great things about that school. For one, they train in aircraft with exceptional useful loads. The LSAs near me in Hanover(VA) are for mere mortals only. ;)

I've considered pursuing the Sport Pilot certificate just because I'm not able to fly as often as I'd like and it would personally give me a sense of accomplishment half way through my training. Is it much more than a slightly expensive stage check on your way to a PPL any way? Being a licensed Pilot would definitely keep me motivated.

Well, since you haven't been there yet I can tell you that once you solo and start going on your solo x-countries there's plenty of excitement and sense of accomplishment to keep you motivated. The only thing you can't do is take anyone else for a ride but do you really want to take someone else with you for a ride after only 20 hours of experience?

I think not.

Yep, it's the 162.

Makes me feel a little less unlucky. This one I rent has had:

- New engine mount as it was found cracked at an oil change. Parts were going to take so long to get Cessna took one off of an undelivered aircraft in Wichita.
- Major engine repair after someone taxied it without enough oil. When they realized the oil pressure was too low during run-up they taxied it back to the ramp. I don't know the extent of the damage, but they pulled it off and shipped it to Continental. It was like 3 or 4 months before it was back up.
- Wing cracks. I don't know the detail, but they had to open up the wings, add more ribs or something, and then reskin the area.
- New prop. I don't think the old one broke, but the new one adds 15 pounds of useful load.
- Several instances of the oil door twist latch breaking.
- Dip stick or the tube it goes into broke off.
- Just this weekend, somebody pulled the handbrake out entirely.
- Dead batteries. User error, but it's annoying. People tend to leave the PFD on after shutdown and writing down the tach time. Lead to my first jump start of an airplane.

That's all in the last 2 years.

I do not know where to go in my training. Basically I am up the creek in my training without a paddle. This is partly why I made the thread awhile back on that I do not know what to do in aviation as a hobby.

This is really unfortunate and I'm not sure I have any advice. I think finding LSA to rent is a huge problem. Out of the 5 places who rent airplanes around here I think only 1 had an LSA and that place only has 1 plane. That alone would significantly impact anyone's ability to pursue their sport pilot license. It seems that if LSA airplanes are meant to serve this market, there are not nearly enough access to them. It seems like the sport pilot option is really not a great option if there is very little access to aircraft.

Kevin, as I recall there is or was an aeronca champ for rent in your area that you declined to consider. You have always been fixated on this one particular airplane. The only thing limiting your options is you.

I'm not sure what's going on with the OP, based on a few recent posts, but in general, to anyone who's considering pursuing a sport pilot certificate, for whatever reason, I would advise just making sure that the school you select is committed to sport pilot training, and has a proven track record in that area. The last school I was at had produced only 1 sport pilot in the last five years, even though it was obvious from the schedule that the LSA there was getting plenty of use by students. That should have told me something right then and there. I'm now happily flying at a school that has produced more than 10 times that many sport pilots. And I'm driving two hours to get there, but it's well worth it.

I'm not sure what's going on with the OP, based on a few recent posts, but in general, to anyone who's considering pursuing a sport pilot certificate, for whatever reason, I would advise just making sure that the school you select is committed to sport pilot training, and has a proven track record in that area. The last school I was at had produced only 1 sport pilot in the last five years, even though it was obvious from the schedule that the LSA there was getting plenty of use by students. That should have told me something right then and there. I'm now happily flying at a school that has produced more than 10 times that many sport pilots. And I'm driving two hours to get there, but it's well worth it.

What he said.

I guess one of the "must-ask" questions to a prospective flight school would be how well are your planes maintained, how long is a plane usually down for when under maintenance, and what are the most common maintenance issues are for a certain make and model of the airplane. Is that a good question to ask a prospective flight school?

I guess one of the "must-ask" questions to a prospective flight school would be how well are your planes maintained, how long is a plane usually down for when under maintenance, and what are the most common maintenance issues are for a certain make and model of the airplane. Is that a good question to ask a prospective flight school?

Of course most of them would probably tell you their planes are meticulously maintained and are rarely out of service. Maybe a better approach would be to ask to see the actual maintenance records.

Of course most of them would probably tell you their planes are meticulously maintained and are rarely out of service. Maybe a better approach would be to ask to see the actual maintenance records.

Great idea! Something for me to keep in mind.

Edit:

I am not an aircraft mechanic so how do I read the maintenance records? What I mean is could someone tell me what the information in the maintenance records mean?

Last edited:
Great idea! Something for me to keep in mind.

Edit:

I am not an aircraft mechanic so how do I read the maintenance records? What I mean is could someone tell me what the information in the maintenance records mean?

I've never actually asked to see the maintenance records of any plane I've flown, so I couldn't really tell you for sure. But I assume it's fairly easy to distinguish between a routine oil change and a complete engine overhaul, or something truly sinister. And it would seem that just by looking at the dates, you could tell how often a plane was out of service. Maybe someone with more mechanical experience will weigh in soon. Now I'm inspired to ask to see my plane's records, just for kicks!

I've never actually asked to see the maintenance records of any plane I've flown, so I couldn't really tell you for sure. But I assume it's fairly easy to distinguish between a routine oil change and a complete engine overhaul, or something truly sinister. And it would seem that just by looking at the dates, you could tell how often a plane was out of service. Maybe someone with more mechanical experience will weigh in soon. Now I'm inspired to ask to see my plane's records, just for kicks!

A fine inspiration! I highly recommend that you do so!
(Not sure whether you've taken your checkride yet or not. But, at the very least, you should be reviewing the logs then so that you can show the examiner that the aircraft is "current" WRT inspections.)

Just got off the phone with my current flight school. They worked on the 162's engine again. They said the 162 is back up and running but as of right now, the 162 can only do straight-and-level maneuvers only, no major flight training maneuvers.

However, I got a feeling that the 162 is going to break down again and then I have to wait for them to fix it again, which I think will be a long time. I am thinking of about transferring to another flight school to continue my training this summer maybe.

Last edited:
They said the 162 is back up and running but as of right now, the 162 can only do straight-and-level maneuvers only, no major flight training maneuvers.

That sends off red flags...in my head at least. I don't think I'd get in a plane if I knew it "could only do straight and level flight." How is it even possible? Would the engine quit if you started doing S-turns...?

If you want info on Chesapeake Sport Pilot or have any questions, feel free to PM.

That sends off red flags...in my head at least. I don't think I'd get in a plane if I knew it "could only do straight and level flight." How is it even possible? Would the engine quit if you started doing S-turns...?

If you want info on Chesapeake Sport Pilot or have any questions, feel free to PM.

Sounds like a cylinder break in

Back