Frost Bite Chili Fly-In
Saturday February 18, 2006
11AM to 3PM
Chili, Hot Dogs, and Brats will be provided
Coffee, Tea, and Pop will be available too
EAA 113 Aviation Center
Mettetal Airport (1D2)
Bring a Friend!

My buddy and I are planning on being there - first flyin of the year - assuming the weather cooperates !

SJP said:
My buddy and I are planning on being there - first flyin of the year - assuming the weather cooperates !

It won't.

I'll be there if it's doesn't as I live under the pattern and if it's not too cold I could even walk-in. : ) I'm a maybe if the weather does coorporate I've been thinking it's time to go to Lapeer and get back in a Citbria, but I want an instructor with me and Barry doesn't work Sundays. Hey, but I could always rent a 150 from Mettatal instead of driving and be there anyway!

Missa

SJP said:
Yeah - if that front pushes through, my BFR might go off this weekend. MI in February is a crap shoot at the best of times tho.

Is the BFR going on at PTK? Saturday or Sunday? The 99's are doing a brunch on Sunday at the PAC around noon, should I be watching to see how you do?

Missa

Missa said:
Is the BFR going on at PTK? Saturday or Sunday? The 99's are doing a brunch on Sunday at the PAC around noon, should I be watching to see how you do?

Missa

Hehe - Hopefully Saturday, but it may be sunday if the weather is better. Put the call into my Instructor, but haven't heard back as yet.

I didn't know they had anything other than the vending machine over at PAC ?

SJP said:
Hehe - Hopefully Saturday, but it may be sunday if the weather is better. Put the call into my Instructor, but haven't heard back as yet.

I didn't know they had anything other than the vending machine over at PAC ?

Potluck Brunch in the Pilots lounge... you have to kiss up and beg to roomfull of lady pilots if you want the leftovers ;)

Missa

SJP said:
Yeah - if that front pushes through, my BFR might go off this weekend. MI in February is a crap shoot at the best of times tho.

So??? Did you get the BFR in? I'm not sure but I may have seen you going down the runway on Sunday. Sat was awful. the front didn't make it though but Sunday was just peachy. But I didn't fly. :( I don't have a plane at PTK that I can fly anymore... I know I should go get check out in the Flight 101 planes but it's just not the same.

Missa

Missa said:
So??? Did you get the BFR in? I'm not sure but I may have seen you going down the runway on Sunday. Sat was awful. the front didn't make it though but Sunday was just peachy. But I didn't fly. :( I don't have a plane at PTK that I can fly anymore... I know I should go get check out in the Flight 101 planes but it's just not the same.

Missa
Saturday was awful, you are right. Sunday unfortunately didn't work out for me. My instructor and I just never seem to get on the same page these days - I'm probably going to end up finding a new one - and all the ones at F-101 are sooooo young... *sigh* The planes aren't bad (Garmin 430s are cool!) but the availability is a pain - I just checked this weekend - the 4 172s are booked solid from 9am thru 5pm Saturday, and 10am thru 4:30 Sunday. $86/hr isn't exactly cheap either...I gotta get me a club...

Doesn't look like this Saturday is going to be much fun either - very cold, windy, generally icky. I also have to work early morning, and my buddy has a meeting around noon - the window for chilli appears to be rapidly closing....but we'll see.

1D2 really isn't that far for you to drive... I live under the pattern at 1D2 and use to fly out of PTK all the time. An may do so agian if another Citabra comes to PTK. : ( Make sure you let me know if your going to go so I can run up to the airport. Did I ever PM you my number?

Oh, and if it's anything like last year there were SEVERAL great chilis, the EAA chapter members do a cook-off type thing so there are like 6-7 diffrent kinds, if you can't find something you like... you just don't like Chilli! (or your from Cincinati)

I'm not sure who your instructor on the feild is but the guys at Drake are really good (office is in the PAC) and not youngin's. If you don't mind the drive to Ray Community (57D) I can recomend a really good flight instructor who's planes really need to be flown more!

Missa

Last edited:
Missa said:
1D2 really isn't that far for you to drive... I live under the pattern at 1D2 and use to fly out of PTK all the time. An may do so agian if another Citabra comes to PTK. : ( Make sure you let me know if your going to go so I can run up to the airport. Did I ever PM you my number?

Nope - no number :(
Oh, and if it's anything like last year there were SEVERAL great chilis, the EAA chapter members do a cook-off type thing so there are like 6-7 diffrent kinds, if you can't find something you like... you just don't like Chilli! (or your from Cincinati)
I love chilli - I'm tempted to drive down there - maybe grab the wife and call it lunch ;)

I'm not sure who your instructor on the feild is but the guys at Drake are really good (office is in the PAC) and not youngin's. If you don't mind the drive to Ray Community (57D) I can recomend a really good flight instructor who's planes really need to be flown more!

I learnt to fly with Bill McCoy, who at the time was working out of one of the schools that subsequently closed. He moved to B&B aviation, and I finished up most of my private, and then had to transition to Trent up at Sutton Aviation because the owner of the plane I was using sold it ;)

Bill only instructs part-time these days (hard to make a living as an instructor!), so I can't really complain - just hard to feel comfortable with the right seat filled with a kid younger than my step-son...

A friend of mine used to get instruction at Ray....bit of a hike for me, one of the reasons I don't want to drive up to Lapeer every time - not to mention the gas consumed in each direction !

PM sent, call me if you go or I may not decide to get out of bed on Saturday...

I understand the drive thing with Ray, but the planes are good and the instructors are great.

How's Oakland SW? I know of a flying club that has two memberships for sale.

Missa

Just not my week really....

Had to work Saturday, ended up doing 6 hours, when I only expected to have to do 2, so by the time I was done, I was completely out of time. The predicted lousy weather really never appeared, very very cold, but otherwise a beautiful weekend - of course no planes available and my instructor not answering his phone...

...then blew a hose on the car, and spent most of Sunday afternoon in sub-freezing temps trying to fit a replacement so that I can avoid car-pooling on Monday...

6 more weeks....

SJP said:
Just not my week really....

Had to work Saturday, ended up doing 6 hours, when I only expected to have to do 2, so by the time I was done, I was completely out of time. The predicted lousy weather really never appeared, very very cold, but otherwise a beautiful weekend - of course no planes available and my instructor not answering his phone...

...then blew a hose on the car, and spent most of Sunday afternoon in sub-freezing temps trying to fit a replacement so that I can avoid car-pooling on Monday...

6 more weeks....

Too bad, I didn't make it either. I went out shopping with my Mom on Saturday but spent a good part of Sunday in the air... It was bumpy but BEAUTIFUL! I guess I should have called you... Everyone I called to go with me was busy! I just tootled around the area, tracked a radial into peck, then out, then went to Lapper(18-36) but man was the cosswind a hand full, never touched the ground. Had to go so went back to Ray (9-27). After the pit stop, I went around Ray a few times then just headed north for a little while enjoying the prity blue of the sky peaking throuh the scattered clould layer... and enjoying the privelage of flying.

Missa

I didn't go flying this weekend either. I was too ****ed off to get in the plane.

N2212R said:
I didn't go flying this weekend either. I was too ****ed off to get in the plane.

So what ****ed you off?

It was probally good since the weather gussers were calling the weather more uggy on your side of the state.

Missa

We have OVC here, but it was cold enough that there was no icing. But the ceiling was just a little too high for shooting loggable approaches. Grrrr.

Let's just say what cheesed me off had nothing to do with airplanes, but something as much or more expensive.

N2212R said:
We have OVC here, but it was cold enough that there was no icing. But the ceiling was just a little too high for shooting loggable approaches. Grrrr.

See not having an IR yet makes the ceiling really important to me... I had to drive to get to an airport with a correctly aligned runway too. I wasn't about to rent at Mettatal and not be able to get the plane back in. I did go pratice at a 18/36 but didn't want to HAVE to land on one with 15 kts out of the west. Other then that it was really good, I even dealt with having to preflight in an unheated hanger.... Burrrrrrrrrrrrr....

Hope what ever it is gets better!

Missa

N2212R said:
15kts? With what plane?

I would have been taking out a 152 or 172 out of Mettatal, but it's been a while since I've done any strong x-wind landings and I'm not that comfortable in their planes. I did go out in the Archer and made a couple of low passes at an airport with a 18 but not having flown in two weeks and having it been months since I've last dealt with a x-wind like that, I never acually got well enough set up to set her down, then I had to make a pitstop so I went back to Ray where it had a runway I could land on.

Missa

**coughwusscough**

Hey, if you don't feel up to it, don't do it. 15 in a 152 can be "fun" 172 is a bit better. In my plane it's heavy enough that 15 isn't much of a big deal. When it gets into the 20s then I consider staying put.

N2212R said:
**coughwusscough**

Hey, if you don't feel up to it, don't do it. 15 in a 152 can be "fun" 172 is a bit better. In my plane it's heavy enough that 15 isn't much of a big deal. When it gets into the 20s then I consider staying put.

I'd rather be a live wuss then push it and be dead. I went to yesterday strickly cause it had been a while... and I did try to land in it and yes the archer is as heavy as your plane and I may have had it on my next go around but my bladders urge to get on the gound was adding a distraction so I went off in search of the nearest wind alighned runway.

Hum, I was going to give you good rep agian once I could... but maybe now it'll be bad rep... :p

Missa

OOh, never continue flight with an expanding bladder. Learned that on my long Private cross country.

I agree, that's why I stopped trying to land and when to land where I knew I could... then went out and played some more.

Back