From my old line boy note book, "Hand Propping"

John J

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
JPJ
Last night I was going through my old note book that I started keeping when I first worked at the local airport. I began working their when I was 15. I began this note book at the time.

One of the many tasks besides fueling, washing moving planes and just answering to "Hey You" I had to learn Hand Propping planes. At 15 I was not allowed to do this until I was talk enough to see into the cockpit from the front or at least my height was such I could reach, without leaning forward, the propeller tip at the 10 O'Clock position. I was slow grower so I did not reach that point until just my before I turned 16. Plus the airport owner was worried I did not weigh enough. I was real skinny kid.

The time came finally just about my solo day and I had to have 2 hours of "duel instruction in propping. Interesting the first plane I started with was the T Craft for we all knew it had a run out engine.

Some of the procedures that I wrote down in my 16 year old writing are

1. Face Plane Directly.

2. Then go to the ride side to check to make sure person inside has feet on brakes hand on throttle in the closed position and Switch in the Off Position.

3. Brief person inside what you are going to call for and sequence.

4. Go Back to front of plane and look at it straight on.

5. Call for "Brakes ON' and wait for response.

6. Test for Brakes on by pushing on hub of Propeller.

7. Set the Prop at the 10 O' Clock Position and with lay both hands near tip without gripping blade. Set right leg back and bring left leg forward to position body so it is not leaning forward. Make sure rear is angled away toward the (your) right side. With one smooth movement push firmly down on blade while simultaneously moving left leg back and to the right. As hand come down toward bottom of the arc move smartly away and out side the propeller arc. This so Very Important to keep all body motions in one fluid flow that keeps legs, arms head and trunk away from prop in a quick move. Do this several times to load the engine.

8. Position the propeller to the 10 O.Clock position again.

9. Yell "Throttle Cracked, Brakes and Contact" Very Carefully push firmly on hub to check for brakes.

10. Repeat Step 7 and hope for the best. :goofy: If the engine does not start repeat all steps.:(

Interesting as I took my dual instruction to hand prop planes I found that was only the entry course for later when I began my cross country time I was given "Advanced Dual" in propping.

That is where on my dual cross countries my instructor would tell me that I had to find a person to sit and hold the brakes and controls while I propped it. The plane was chocked and the tail was tied. My instructor would watch from the side and grade me on how I found the person, prepped them, and set the plane up. All of his students had to pass this test before doing any solo Cross Countries.

These are some of my notes that I took down while working( having fun) at the little airport that wanted to share with you all.

Thanks for reading

John J

Last edited:
John--

That was a neat memory to share with us. I'm glad you kept your notebook. I see that you are on the Eastern Shore. Did you learn to fly there as well? (My husband grew up in Easton; his dad learned to fly at ESN; and I lived there for a time in the 1970s.)

Lots of attention to detail for safety by your CFI & you ! The twin pilot that chopped his leg off at the thigh and died the next day over here at KPAE a few years ago would have done better to use your notes.

555 juliet, Brian and Dave;

Thank you for your notes. I still to this day always walk twice the distance of the prop arc and I still get very alert when near the business end of the plane. I guess it will always be with me and I am glad of that. I cannot say enough to my CFI who drilled and drilled the procedures of hand propping.

555 Juilet I grew up on the Eastern Shore and dad was a farmer/engineer. To suplimemt the income or dare I say lack of it my dad would commute to Baltimore every day for 4 years 100 miles each way(I have some fun stories about the car he modified to get 40 miles to the gallon). This was in the 1950s. WE moved out of of neccessity to Annapolis, MD. Well long story short I discovered Lee Airport on one of my many bike rides 5 miles from home. At age 15 I begged the owner to let me work there to wash planes and yup get some lessons. As we all know the rest was history. I loved every minute and wore out many tires on the bike. The airport is now fancy with a paved runway lights and GPS approach. I was one of the many "line boys" at ANP.

I would not trade that experience for anything.

Dave
I read so many horrible propping accidents today and there is no reason for them to happen. When I was a bit older working at another airport we had "Stand By Batteries" in the operations shack to put into planes that had dead batteries. Everyone on the field knew where to get help.

Thank you all

John

Those are priceless notes. Particulary verifying that the brakes on on with a push. That one is still not well known....

Former Cessna 140 owner.

Bruce

The Cessna 140 was one of my favorites to prop. Itmust have been the height and angle of the nose. Plus it was such a beautiful plane. It was and still is one of my favorites.

I am glad I saved these old notes and I have been looking at some of myother notes when I was taking lesssons. Also I always kept a diaries of my flights for I would learn from them and how I could be a better pilot.

I remember being told when propping to push firm on the hub and if the plane moved I was to stop imediately and go back to the person inside the plane and make sure the heals or toes were on the brakes. Then I would test again.

One time I remember there was a really tall mechanic at the field and when he pushed on the hub while I was in the plane, His firm push made me fell like he was going to push me and the plane accross the field. I really appreciate all those early days for I learned so much from mentors who wanted us kids to be safe.

John

Back