From Garmin- Jepp didn't update all approaches? XP Red

Cap'n Jack

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Cap'n Jack
Found on the Garmin web site this AM:

Some of you have asked why your last Jeppesen update was a little thin. Well, if you haven’t heard, the FAA is publishing an unprecedented number of changes and new approaches. Because of this, Jeppesen was unable to get all of those new procedures into the electronic database in time for the effective dates. Don’t worry though, Jeppesen is working hard to get those approaches into the next database cycle. Here is a list of the approaches that didn’t make the cut.

Is this really as bad as it sounds? You get an update and not everything is updated?

Looks like you need to keep the paper procedures around!

The other side of this is whether the approaches made it into the NavData updates for GPS, because if the approach procedure isn't in the database, you can't fly it.

I understand that these are all recently commissioned RNAV procedures, so it's not horrible.

I'm not sure which ones didn't make it but searching NACO I found 16 new approaches that are not GPS approaches. Including, believe it or not, NDB 26 at KESF (Alexandria, LA). Joe

The other side of this is whether the approaches made it into the NavData updates for GPS, because if the approach procedure isn't in the database, you can't fly it.

I understand that these are all recently commissioned RNAV procedures, so it's not horrible.

My understanding is that there are several approaches missing in the DB. The suckiest part is AFaIK there's no way to find out which are missing except to attempt to load it in the GPS.

I'm down for Annual as of today and hoping this gets fixed before I get back up. Sigh.

I can't find this on the Garmin web site. Can you provide a link? Or is this not something you personally researched and verified?

I can't find this on the Garmin web site. Can you provide a link? Or is this not something you personally researched and verified?
I remember reading that, too...but I think it was on the Jepp site, or else emailed to me by Jeppesen as part of my subscription. In any event, it probably won't get fixed until the next cycle at the end of October.

I remember reading that, too...but I think it was on the Jepp site, or else emailed to me by Jeppesen as part of my subscription. In any event, it probably won't get fixed until the next cycle at the end of October.
"I think" "maybe" "perhaps" "probably"? Let's get this straight and identify the source correctly -- and quickly.

"I think" "maybe" "perhaps" "probably"? Let's get this straight and identify the source correctly -- and quickly.
Oh, good grief, Ron. For one thing, I deleted the email in question. For another, you could have been a lot less accusing in tone. Nobody here is trying to lead anyone down the garden path. We're all interested in sharing information that will help us all to fly safely and become better pilots.

Oh, good grief, Ron. For one thing, I deleted the email in question. For another, you could have been a lot less accusing in tone. Nobody here is trying to lead anyone down the garden path. We're all interested in sharing information that will help us all to fly safely and become better pilots.
Fourth-hand information is the bane of the internet. The information at the top of this thread appears to be based on an item in the 9/26 AOPA ePilot, including a link to a document on the AOPA web site. However, there is nothing in the Jepp Notices and Alerts (http://www.jeppesen.com/company/alerts/alerts-region.jsp?&region=United+States) about what AOPA published. The only notice from Jepp is http://www.jeppesen.com/documents/aviation/notices-alerts/navdata/USAF_Procedures_Alert.pdf, which only affects approaches to five USAF bases, so I called Jeppesen to check further. According to Jepp's Kelley Jacobson, "My supervisors are reviewing what you sent me and will get back with me...Just wanted to let you know we are checking into it." I'll let you know more when I hear it from her.

I originally saw this on the Garmin site- I think it was on the aviation section- next time I'll post the original link. I wasn't looking at the blogs since I was looking at the reason my hand-held GPS V keeps crashing (WAAS issue).

Bottom line IMHO- check your procedures- you may need the paper procedure if one you use isn't in the database since it hasn't made the update.

Thanks, Harry. I'd like to hear it confirmed by Jepp before I panic about the integrity of my database.
:

I turned up a couple of potentially related items. One is via a link on my JSUM application:

http://tinyurl.com/5y822j

This leads to a document that indicates that updates to approaches to USAF bases are missing from cycle 810 (Sept 25,2008 update).

The other: http://tinyurl.com/48tuzc

is from Rockwell Collins and has a list of approaches that didn't make it into a "Type J3, J4, J5, or J6 database for cycle 810. This notice appears to be about FMS data.

Eric Anderson at Jepp called today and left a message (I wasn't answering the phone during YK). I'll have more info after I speak to him tomorrow.

Back