From Chicago to Black River Falls

ApacheBob

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
ApacheBob
The weather looked reasonable for an IFR flight from DuPage to Black River Falls, Wisconsin. It was a chance to do some IMC work with plenty of safe "outs."
I filed to go west and then north, although Foreflight noted that ATC would want me to go north and then west. As expected Ground Control gave the full route clearance north and then west.
I read back the clearance, but then asked if there were any chance that Chicago Approach could give me my original request.
Bingo! So things were starting out as I had expected.
Chicago Approach is great to work with, if you know what they can and cannot do. They really are trying to give great service.
With that in mind, I was not surprised when Chicago Approach gave me "Direct Destination" a few minutes after I left the immediate vicinity of Dupage. The controller had taken the time to arrange for this with a phone call to Rockford Approach.
There was an AIRMET for moderate turbulence below 6,000 msl, but the tailwinds really favored 6,000. So I filed for 6,000. The tops were projected about 6,000.
As far as a route, I knew that R6901A and R6901B would be smack dab in the way of direct. However, if I start whining about getting direct, I might not get direct somewhere next time. So I didn't say a peep when they gave it to me. I figured that Minneapolis Center might just give me a few small vectors.
The route which I filed included a "T" route. I have never used a "T" route before, so it was a little intriguing. HRMNN intersections zigs you a little to the left to avoid R6901B. It is on T354.
On departure, we entered the clouds at 3,500. It was bumpy, but I don't know about moderate. Maybe light with a few sporty bumps. It was a little more continuous near the state line. Once I entered Madison Approach's airspace, I requested 8,000. 8,000 put us on top most of the way.
North of the Wisconsin Dells, I was switched over to Chicago Center.
An hour after takeoff, Chicago Center commented that I could not proceed on this route because it would take me into R6901B. I requested direct HRMNN, which they were unfamiliar with. Once he enter that into my flight plan, he was very pleased. On his map, he could tell that this would avoid R6901B.
The weather at Black River Falls was scattered at 3,500 when we left Chicago. The bases were like 4,500 when we arrived, but I still requested to shoot the RNAV Runway 8 Approach for practice. The winds were 170 at 11 gusting to 18, so it was going to be interesting. We had a pretty significant crab coming down the final. But the runway is in good condition and we swung over to a smooth slip over the numbers. I ended up being a few feet right of centerline on touchdown, but it was an acceptable (non jarring) right main, left main, nose gear settling arrival.
The terminal building is unmanned at KBCK. It is well maintained.
We walked across the street to the First and Last Chance. They have a dice game where you can win a free drink. It sounded fun, but I was unsure of the social distancing side of the dice cup handling. The burger was good and the fries were excellent. It is not too fancy. We asked for sodas and were given cans when we said that we did not need ice. Our waiter/bartender was Joel, who was running the joint by himself. There were about 12 patrons who seemed to know each other. It was dollar beer hour. A patron named Louise bought everyone at the bar a beer.
We did not buy gas at KBCK. With the strong tailwinds, it was only a two hour flight.
On the way home, we stopped at Monroe KEFT for cheap gas. $3.24 per gallon of 100LL. I am very proud of my landings and so we shall not discuss my touchdown at KEFT.
She took 30 gallons. The ramp is very well lit. The terminal was nice. The runway and taxiways are pristine.
Enroute from KEFT to KDPA, we decided to do a full stop landing at KRFD to complete the three night landing requirement for the evening. Rockford Approach was flexible and the tower was very happy to have a customer. I redeemed myself with a better landing at KRFD.
Inbound to KDPA, I requested to execute the RNAV GPS Runway 20R approach. Chicago Approach guided me in. Another good night landing and 5.8 hours of cross country to log.
Great day!

Back