Friend doesn't trust me...

• Thread starter LookingForAdviceInGeorgia
  • Start date
L

LookingForAdviceInGeorgia

I need some advice people.

I have a friend, who is also a pilot. We fly together sometimes, but when I'm PIC, he's always complaining about something. He's freaked out on me about a bunch of things, for example, one time he flipped out on me because I don't change fuel tanks every 30 minutes, I prefer to do it every hour in the Warrior I rent. He says that's not safe, and one day I'm going to die because of it.

He has, on many occasions, questioned my decisions in the air, especially when flying the Tiger, by asking questions to see if I'm going to cooperate. For example, on the runup, he might ask "Aren't you going to do [insert checklist item]"? Or on final, he'll ask: "Umm, the winds are gusting to xx, are you sure you want to use full flaps?"

I am actually a very good pilot, I think. I have very good habits, and I'm constantly pushing myself to learn more. I started doing slips a lot to get really good at them, and it is obvious that my friend doesn't trust slips, but he refuses to admit it. We were in a rental 172 the other day, flying near Marietta, GA, and I decided I would slip it. I had flaps in at the time, and my friend absolutely flipped out, completely ruining the flight.

He says that slipping a 172 with flaps smacks of poor judgment making abilities. I tried to explain what the reasoning behind the placard is, but he obviously looks down on me as a pilot, because he refuses to even discuss it without getting defensive.

When he is PIC, I shut up, and let him fly. I have decided that I would say something if he ever got to the position where he was going to kill us, but I respect the fact that he is PIC. I have gotten to the point where I think I am going to fly with him once more, and if it happens again, I'll be flying solo a lot more.

The worst part is that my confidence is shattered. I flew the other day solo and just felt weird, like I'm not that good. I've never been bothered by criticisms before, but it might be happening this time because its happening so often. Have any of you dealt with anything like this?

Sounds like he really isn't much of friend nor a pilot based on the way he is reacting to normal, safe procedures, and is not respecting your role as PIC. Leave him on the ground from now on. If you don't do that a flip of the pilot isolate switch will help. Then explain why you do things the way you do and why they are safe, but do it on the ground and set up rules about calling out issues when flying.

I have a friend, who is also a pilot. We fly together sometimes, but when I'm PIC, he's always complaining about something. He's freaked out on me about a bunch of things, for example, one time he flipped out on me because I don't change fuel tanks every 30 minutes, I prefer to do it every hour in the Warrior I rent. He says that's not safe, and one day I'm going to die because of it.

He has, on many occasions, questioned my decisions in the air, especially when flying the Tiger, by asking questions to see if I'm going to cooperate. For example, on the runup, he might ask "Aren't you going to do [insert checklist item]"? Or on final, he'll ask: "Umm, the winds are gusting to xx, are you sure you want to use full flaps?"

I am actually a very good pilot, I think. I have very good habits, and I'm constantly pushing myself to learn more. I started doing slips a lot to get really good at them, and it is obvious that my friend doesn't trust slips, but he refuses to admit it. We were in a rental 172 the other day, flying near Marietta, GA, and I decided I would slip it. I had flaps in at the time, and my friend absolutely flipped out, completely ruining the flight.

He says that slipping a 172 with flaps smacks of poor judgment making abilities. I tried to explain what the reasoning behind the placard is, but he obviously looks down on me as a pilot, because he refuses to even discuss it without getting defensive.

Dude's not a very good pilot. He doesn't understand what he does, he just does what he's been told, and much of what he's been told is wrong. He understands that he doesn't know what he's doing that's why he's so afraid.

I agree with what all others have said.
However, I have to ask...why do keep flying with this guy? If I was in your shoes a calm conversation, on the ground, explaining why he is no longer welcome would have already occurred.
Good luck.

You might want to switch tanks every 30 minutes to avoid having an unbalanced fuel load which makes one wing heavy. Not switching more often won't kill you. It just might give you a sore wrist as you hold up the heavy wing with opposite aileron. It can also make landing more interesting than otherwise, especially with a crosswind.

In my 235 when I draw from the tip tanks, I have to switch every 15 minutes to keep in balance. The tanks way out at the wing tips have a huge arm so I need them to be balanced.

Oh, and otherwise your "friend" needs a big cup of STFU.

Last edited:
Cherokee tanks (not 235 w/ tips), I take off on left, switch to right after 0:30, and then alternate hourly. Works great.

Mike's right- give him a gift certificate to "STFU-R-Us."

Interesting. This sounds awful familiar.

I always land with full flaps. I don't care how hard that wind is kicking I'm going in with full flaps. I don't really give a **** about my final speed until short final. At that point I try to slow it up to around 65 knots in a 172. That often means I just pull the nose up a little and do a little bit of a slip.

If you get in some really gusty crap--looking at the airspeed indicator is worthless. When I did my BFR with Tony yesterday the needle was swinging from about 55 knots up to 90 knots. At that point all you can do is cross your fingers and go by feel. The nice thing about piston airplanes is that if the wind hits you and does something funny it only takes you an instant to throw in all kinds of power. I handle gusts via the throttle--not tons of airspeed.

I have *very* little low wing experience. Maybe 10 hours total. So my advice here is probably worthless. I'm not a huge fan of switching tanks every 30 minutes. If you start to get to the low end of the fuel capacity you won't really have any clue how much fuel is in either tank.

It's damn cold doing Minnesota winter flying. When I flew the archers I only burned off one tank. That way I didn't have to worry about fueling two tanks in the cold. I'd fly 1.5 hour flights and the inbalance either wasn't noticeable or it didn't bother me. On long cross countries I did something like:
1.) Takeoff on Left Tank
2.) Burn 1 hour on left tank.
3.) Switch to right tank and run dry
4.) Go back to left tank.

I don't remember the exact times. But I would always run a tank dry. If you do the 30 minute thing back and forth and you get low on fuel you won't have a clue how much fuel is in each tank. Do you want to run one dry on short final right when you needed a burst of power due to some weird wind?

Perhaps you should fly with Kenny...He's in Georgia and is always looking to reduce costs :D

Last edited:
Yep, find a new friend. And if you think about it you should realize this guy has demonstrated that he's not a real friend. It seems to me the only thing he brings to your relationship is the ability to shatter your confidence. What he's doing to your self confidence is only part of the damage, he's being a dangerous distraction that has no place in an airplane cockpit.

I have to wonder, given his attitude and tendency to be not only stubborn but very incorrect, if he's basically insecure and needs to dump on you to raise his own self esteem.

If you still have reason/occasion to take him along as a passenger, tell him before the flight that should he repeat his bad behavior you will land the plane and let him out.

LFAIG,

I'd say your first step is to feel good about your skills again. When is your next flight review? Doesn't matter, do one soon. Explain to the CFI what's going on and how you feel about it. During the ground session bring up all of the points that your friend is beating you up about. Get your confidence back. You didn't describe anything unsafe or "wrong", so I’m going to assume you're a good pilot. If I were closer I'd be happy to do your flight review, no charge.

Next, you've got to do something about your friend. I predict he'll be easier to ignore once you have reinforcement that you're a safe pilot. You didn't say how much experience you or your friend have, but just because he might have more time than you doesn't make him an authority. In the end it's up to you to determine whether to ignore him, change him, quit flying with him, or continue letting him get into your head. I think flying a couple of hours with a good instructor will help you decide how to handle your buddy.

Best of luck.

I think some pilots are very controlling when flying with other pilots because they don't have much self-confidence themselves. Either that or they are controlling individuals to begin with.

Either way I'd say find another flying buddy. You're not doing yourself any favors flying with him if he makes you miserable.

I don't remember the exact times. But I would always run a tank dry. If you do the 30 minute thing back and forth and you get low on fuel you won't have a clue how much fuel is in each tank. Do you want to run one dry on short final right when you needed a burst of power due to some weird wind?
Jesse, I can only comment on the Diamondstar, where it is a LIMITATION that you not have more than a 10 gal difference between the left and right tanks. I don't see a similar limitation in either the C-310 or Sundowner manuals, though I may have missed it.

And, on topic, I'd fly with the other pilot one more time after having a heart-to-heart talk with him about the fact that you are PIC and will ask for input if you want it. Otherwise, sit back and enjoy the flight unless there is an imminent danger of a crash. If he doesn't agree ahead of time to these conditions, fly alone or with someone other that this pilot.

I have *very* little low wing experience. Maybe 10 hours total. So my advice here is probably worthless. I'm not a huge fan of switching tanks every 30 minutes. If you start to get to the low end of the fuel capacity you won't really have any clue how much fuel is in either tank.

Yeah, your limited low wing experience is showing. Some planes aren't affected much buy a fuel imbalance (some even have roll trim to help), but others get real heavy real quick. Obviously this isn't the case with the OP though ("I prefer to do it every hour in the Warrior I rent"). The most common practice is to switch after the first half hour and each hour thereafter but there are plenty of variations. Older Bonanzas like many Continental planes return fuel excess fuel to the left main tank regardless of which tank is supplying the fuel so you'd better leave room there for it and start on the left main when the tanks are full or you will dump some fuel out the vents. Planes like the Cherokee Six have inboard and outboard tanks in each wing and the outboards affect balance a lot more than the inboards do. Some low wingers don't even have a way to select left or right.

If I'm not the PIC (which frankly I haven't been in far too long), I keep my mouth shut unless I'm giving traffic info or advising of impending DOOM DEATH DISTRUCTION DESPAIR.

I mean I've even flown with Bill S who scared the crap outta me and I didn't say a word!

(J/K Bill! :D )

Yeah, your limited low wing experience is showing. Some planes aren't affected much buy a fuel imbalance (some even have roll trim to help), but others get real heavy real quick. Obviously this isn't the case with the OP though ("I prefer to do it every hour in the Warrior I rent"). The most common practice is to switch after the first half hour and each hour thereafter but there are plenty of variations. Older Bonanzas like many Continental planes return fuel excess fuel to the left main tank regardless of which tank is supplying the fuel so you'd better leave room there for it and start on the left main when the tanks are full or you will dump some fuel out the vents. Planes like the Cherokee Six have inboard and outboard tanks in each wing and the outboards affect balance a lot more than the inboards do. Some low wingers don't even have a way to select left or right.

I think this is a situation where you can't apply one generic rule to every airplane. As much as everyone likes generic simple rules--it just don't work in everything. Different airplanes, different instrumentation, all leads to different techniques.

Like I said--that was how I did it in Archers. Didn't seem to get heavy enough for me to care. I've seen similar did in Cherokees. I've never flown a Cherokee Six so I can't comment on that. The other low wing I have time in is the Diamond DA-20. They made it simple--there is only one tank.

Personally I'd try to figure out a good way to know the exact quantity in each tank in any airplane I flew. There aren't many ways to do this if you don't have a fuel totalizer.

I've read NTSB reports where pilots crashed with one tank dry and the other with fuel. They didn't know how much either tank had since they were switching back and forth so much.

LFAIG,

As mentioned, I'd be happy to fly along. Though I'm not a CFI at this time (I begin training in two weeks), I'd act with similar functions were you simply being reviewed for your skills. Unless I see something that's just plain dangerous (like climbing out too slow, imminent stall, etc.) I'd let you fly the plane and see what ya got.

I'm betting you do just fine and are a safe pilot. Are you perfect all the time? Heck, none of us are. But being ahead of the plane and anticipating changes is key and if you're doing that then you'll have a safe flight.

Saying you don't normally use slips but are simply practicing is good. Many pilots tend make slips their crutch rather than learning to crab and kick out at flare. Some airplanes like a Super Decathlon, a slip is often mandatory to get down. A Skyhawk is not a Super Decathlon. It has flaps but flaps are not mandatory every landing. You configure the plane as most appropriate for the circumstances. You also need to be proficient must it be necessary to land without flaps. So, change and adaption is good.

I'd love to fly with ya. Drop a PM on me if you'd like to set up a time. Your identity will remain confidential as long as your certificate doesn't have the "Cracker Jacks" logo in the corner. :)

Safe & Fun Flying,

Kenny

P.S. There's the first gathering of the Georgia Pilot's Association at the Spitfire Deli at KWDR on Saturday, April 14th. I hope you can make it.

Saying you don't normally use slips but are simply practicing is good. Many pilots tend make slips their crutch rather than learning to crab and kick out at flare.
Uh.. You might want to flip that around. You aren't going to crab and kick out in a crosswind without landing with a sideload. Unless you are in a slip as you touch down. You can crab into the wind and at the last few seconds throw rudder and opposite aileron in to slip into the wind. But you are still slipping as you touchdown.

Are you seriously implying that in most light GA airplanes it is poor technique to slip to a landing in a crosswind and that the crab/kick/drift/crash method is superior?

I just flew in 34 knot winds yesterday. Landing without a slip would have meant a very busted up airplane. There is no way you are going to LAND in a crosswind without aileron into the wind. If you have aileron into the wind you MUST align the nose with the rudder. You should have full aileron into the wind as you roll out. You should be moving the ailerons and elevator to their extremes all throughout your taxi. Those that crab/kick are still slipping as they touchdown. If they aren't--they are putting a bunch of sideload on the gear.

Maybe you didn't write what you meant. Or maybe I'm reading your words wrong. Or perhaps you don't realize that you are still slipping--I'm not sure.

Last edited:
Unless you can come to some accomodation and understanding (actually I call that reading the riot act) with your friend, I suggest you find other things to do together. Constantly nattering over what appears to be a control issue on your friends part (unless you're constantly exceeding aircraft limits, busting FARs left and right, use terrible judgement and have no apparent skill in an airplane) is annoying and can affect overall safety of flight. Flying airplanes for fun SHOULD be fun and while safety is paramount, making mountains out of molehills is inviting bad Karma.

Are you seriously implying that in most light GA airplanes it is poor technique to slip to a landing in a crosswind and that the crab/kick/drift/crash method is superior?
In a manner of speaking, yes. But you're reaching too far. Read on... Barry Schiff Article

I'd rather have the power I'm using in reserve and the drag I'm gaining non-existent.

In a manner of speaking, yes. But you're reaching too far. Read on... Barry Schiff Article

I'd rather have the power I'm using in reserve and the drag I'm gaining non-existent.

Not an AOPA member.

Think about it Kenny. If there is any sort of crosswind you WILL touch down with sideload UNLESS you align the nose and stop the airplane from moving sideways over the ground. You do this with aileron and opposite rudder. That's called a slip.

I can see some arguement for just crabbing on final. Personally I don't do that. If you do this you should transition to a slip into the wind before you touchdown. But--there is NO WAY you are going to touchdown without drift if there is ANY crosswind without slipping.

Not an AOPA member.
From the Barry Schiff Article:

My curiosity was satisfied when I sat in a cockpit jump seat on a 707 flight to Kansas City, Missouri, in 1964. The captain had established a considerable crab angle while on final approach to compensate for the 29-knot left crosswind component, the maximum allowable for that airplane. We crossed the runway threshold while still crabbing, and I began to wonder when the captain would transition the airplane into a wing-low slip, the time-honored method of making a crosswind landing. But he held the Water Wagon in a crab even as he pulled the throttles back and began to flare. "Omigod," I thought. "We're going to land sideways and shear the tires from their wheels." I looked at the copilot, and he didn't appear concerned.

Just as the tires on both sides of the airplane were about to touch, the captain applied right rudder to straighten the airplane and simultaneously cranked the control wheel hard to the left. The airplane banked into the crosswind, and the left main landing-gear wheels kissed the concrete.

I had just witnessed a masterfully executed crosswind landing utilizing what I was to learn is called the kickout method.

Although it might seem at first blush that this method involves simply delaying the transition from crab to slip until the last second, there is much more to it than that. Instead of waiting to slip and then landing, this technique involves a transition to a slip that is interrupted by a landing. In other words, the airplane is so close to the ground while still crabbing that it is the act of lowering the wing that forces the upwind tires to touch down firmly and positively. It is the act of banking that causes touchdown. The goal is to plant the upwind gear on the ground and thus eliminate the need to enter the steeply banked slip that would otherwise be required to prevent drift.

In this manner, the pilot doesn't have to sit and wait for the aircraft to plop down while hovering in a flare above the runway in a steep, uncomfortable slip. By lowering the upwind wing while the aircraft is only inches above the runway, the upwind tire is forced down to make firm contact with the ground.

It is a simple matter to determine when the aircraft has been banked sufficiently; just listen or feel for ground contact. Simultaneous with the application of upwind aileron, it is necessary to kick the aircraft out of the crab with firm and opposite downwind rudder so that the wheels are aligned with the runway at the instant of touchdown.

Once the upwind tire is forced onto the ground, aileron pressure should be increased to keep it there. Rudder pressure continues to be applied as necessary to maintain runway heading.

The final step is the same as always. Allow the downwind tire to touch, followed by the nosewheel or tailwheel.

I was heading home in a Piper Cherokee 140 on a day when the wind was gusting across Runway 3 at 30-plus kt. An attempt at a conventional crosswind landing failed because I could not slip steeply enough on short final to offset drift. I was about to divert to a nearby airport when I decided to try the kickout method for the first time in a general aviation airplane.

I held a tremendous crab angle on final and was grateful that there was no such thing as a maximum-allowable crab angle. There is, of course, a definite limit to the degree of slip that can be maintained in any given airplane.

I held the crab until only inches above the runway and checked the descent with a touch of back-pressure. When the tires were only seconds from scrubbing, I simultaneously kicked out of the crab and lowered the left wing. The left tire plunked onto the runway. The simple act of banking forced the landing. Because of the brutality of that crosswind, I pushed the aircraft over onto all three legs and braked to a stop.
That's the end of hi-jacking this thread.

From the Barry Schiff Article:

That's the end of hi-jacking this thread.

Perhaps you should read that article before you post it...

article said:
Just as the tires on both sides of the airplane were about to touch, the captain applied right rudder to straighten the airplane and simultaneously cranked the control wheel hard to the left. The airplane banked into the crosswind, and the left main landing-gear wheels kissed the concrete.

That is what you call a slip.

article said:
I held the crab until only inches above the runway and checked the descent with a touch of back-pressure. When the tires were only seconds from scrubbing, I simultaneously kicked out of the crab and lowered the left wing. The left tire plunked onto the runway. The simple act of banking forced the landing. Because of the brutality of that crosswind, I pushed the aircraft over onto all three legs and braked to a stop.
Once again. Another slip.. I wouldn't suggest ever forcing a landing in a light airplane. Thankfully this was a Piper and not something else. It was built for an idiot to mess up--and that's what he was doing. He should have diverted elsewhere.

This guy saw a captain in a large jet do it. That's a WHOLE different ballgame. They have lots of weight. Big gear. Large tires. TONS OF TRACTION. The pilots are like 50 feet up and can't predict the ground that well. This is how they had to do it.

You can FORCE a nosewheel airplane into the runway with more wind then it has rudder. I'm not arguing that. It's a stupid thing to do though as they just aren't built for it. Big ass airlines are a different story. Jets are not small ga airplanes.

Just because a guy writes an article doesn't mean he knows what he's talking about. He's suggesting that you fly down in a crab. Then you bank hard and slam a wheel in the ground. Keep in mind you were already 30 degrees out of alignment. Now you just banked hard, the airplane is at an angle, and you just slammed a wheel against the ground. Now he's staying stomp on the rudder and start your slip after you slam a wheel down.....

Uhh---Lance/Chip/Diana you guys willing to try this in your taildraggers with some big wind?

I suppose my words are worthless. I should probably post some article like you did. Articles on the internet are always the word of god.
http://www.avweb.com/news/pilotlounge/192672-1.html

Last edited:

, especially when flying the Tiger, by asking questions to see if I'm going to cooperate. , he'll ask: "Umm, the winds are gusting to xx, are you sure you want to use full flaps?"
?

LOL I guess he is not much of a Grummie pilot :) The stall speed from full flaps to no flaps is like 3 kts....... Gotta really watch out for those powerfull grummie flaps, Geeze I can't believe you didn't flip the plane by putting them down all the way. HeHeHe.

"Doctor, doctor -- it hurts when I do this."
"Then don't do this."

If flying with this cat is making you crazy, you need to find another person with whom to fly. I've no real problem with what this other pilot does when he's the PIC (overconservatism rarely hurts anyone unless we're talking about landing at too high a speed for the aircraft/configuration or something like that), but it's clear that the combination of this pilot's narrowly constrained flying practices and inability to recognize that others can safely fly outside them makes him an unacceptable passenger for someone unable (for whatever reason, and this isn't a knock on you -- it might take a gag to keep this cat quiet) to tell him to shut up and sit quietly, and make it stick.

Last edited:
Remind/tell him that when you are PIC, and YOU are in command. Sit down, enjoy the view, and shut your yap. If he can't do that, don't fly with him.

There are people I won't fly with, just like there are people I won't drive with. Doesn't mean they are bad people ... just bad passengers/drivers/pilots.

When he is PIC, I shut up, and let him fly. I have decided that I would say something if he ever got to the position where he was going to kill us, but I respect the fact that he is PIC. I have gotten to the point where I think I am going to fly with him once more, and if it happens again, I'll be flying solo a lot more.

The worst part is that my confidence is shattered. I flew the other day solo and just felt weird, like I'm not that good. I've never been bothered by criticisms before, but it might be happening this time because its happening so often. Have any of you dealt with anything like this?

707, 172, whats the difference? :dunno:

jeesh.

the physics of the problem require a slip at touchdown, or significant sideload on the gear. Yes a 172 will take large sideloads, but that doesnt mean you have to. now there may be some argument that by "kicking out" you can use the momentum of the nose rotating to be able to land in a little bit stronger of a crosswind than if you used the somewhat steady state slip approach. but, if you need that little bit correction, and btw the momentum isnt going to be much in a 172 compared to a 707, then perhaps its time to find a runway more into the wind. or a taxiway better aligned. Low on gas? Turn downwind, you'll get to the next airport fast.

While I may be mistaken, I'll take a guess that the "friend" is a husband or companion, or you own the plane together. Either creates somewhat of a problem, and unfortunately, is not uncommon particularly in driving.

You've got to try to resolve the problem on the ground as much as possible. If your friend feels uncomfortable flying with you, he needs to stay on the ground or keep unnecessary comments to himself. There are times you need to remind him who's PIC, gently at first, less gently if necessary.

Good luck.

There is nothing wrong with a bit of back and forth with another pilot. My buddie and me do this all the time, and it makes us both better pilots. The key to making it work is respect. I respect his abilities, but do make suggestions. It works because all he has to say is "this is how I'm comfortable doing it". So long as he doesn't prang the aircraft, I'm fine with it, and he won't do anything to the aircraft from most of the stuff on which I comment.

A good example was when we recently departed and uncontrolled field, and he leveled off at about 2000 feet to check for traffic. It is not how I would have done the departure, but he's entitled, and I said nothing. Where I did comment was when he didn't reduce the throttle, and the engine went redline. Throttle management is part of piloting. Still, we were cool throughout, and everything was fine.

If your pal can't allow you to fly your way he should stay on the ground.

It's all about respect. Competent pilots can learn a lot from flying with each other. After all, there's more than one was to skin a cat right? When I fly with Rob I may ask him "why do you do it this way? I learned another", and he's free to ask me the same. But it's always after the flight as to not disrupt his flow. Like Bruce Lee said "empty your tea cup". If you already know everything you're letting your ego get in the way and stopping yourself from learning anythign else. You can never know too much about aviation. I hope your friend isn't an instructor. If so I hope he wears a diaper.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back