Friday After Thanksgiving

OH Flier

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
G^2
So, anyone have plans for a flight on Friday after thanksgiving? Weather looks promising. There is a B17 being rebuilt at Grimes Field, I74, Urbana OH, and a great little diner on the field as well.

There is also an A26 Invader nearby on the east side of Columbus, OH.

All other ideas are welcome.

Gary Gembala

What?? Fly on Black Friday?? Its the biggest sale day of the year. Of course I'll be flying. The weather looks great for most of the US except for the NW and NE

I'll be in Greenville, SC visitin family. May link up with a guy in Savannah. Haven't worked out if he's coming my way or if I'm going to visit him yet.

Best,

Dave

Thinking about 09J. The little electric car rental is a little steep though, may have to walk.
Ron

My Thanksgiving flight looks like this, Thursday UUV-3GV-UUV, Friday UUV-MKO-ADH, Sunday ADH-MKO-UUV, total should be around 9 hrs of fly time and almost 1000nm.

ill be celebrating the beginning of the christmas shopping seasone with my family. sorry.

Not on Friday, but Saturday I'm planning to claim Midway Int'l for the challenge, as well as get a tour of the tower!:)

And while I'm doing that, Leslie will be doing her instrument checkride!:yes:

No Friday plans. On Wednesday I am going to get some GoFlyAmerica.org airports in. Heading more towards the SW side of Chicago for those. On Friday going to visit a music store in Elmhurst to look at banjos and a guitars. But on Saturday we are heading out to Smith Field in Fort Wayne to watch my niece play basketball.

Whats the best sound in the world??
Banjo landing on a accordian in the bottom of a dumpster:goofy:
Who does your niece play b-ball for???
My cousin is the head coach at Garrett about 15 -north of smith field.
Joe
pa-28 N43094

No flight plans on Friday. However I will be on my way from IPT to 1D2 tomorow. Probally stoping to streach my legs and, uhm, unstreach somthing else around Cleavland. With a return flight sometime between Monday and Wenesday depending on weather.

Missa

OH Flier said:
All other ideas are welcome.

If you want to have fun, fly ON thanksgiving day or xmas day. You'll think you are one of the Wright brothers because you'll be about the only one in the air.
Thanksgiving, 1300-1400, even the controllers are out to lunch.

Wednesday 8AM departure 1G1 to 1A6 Middlesborogh KY ( 2 hrs) home of Glacier Girl.

Will post our trip.

Gary Gembala

Attachments

• glacier-girl-sky-high.jpg
    glacier-girl-sky-high.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 9
Great day of flying, clear and a million. Unfortunately Glacier Girl was not home. Web page said she was at Nellis AFB for an early Nov Air Show. As I later learned, she will winter in CA for a retrofit to add drop tanks in preparation for a 2007 campaign in England and Paris Air Show.

The staff commented that she would be back in the spring for a very few days then likely not be back to her Kentucky Base ever.

The implication was that she would return to California. Possibly a new owner / benifactor to fund ongoing maintenancre and operational expenses. Good to hear the girl will continue to be flown.

Bell County 1A6 is an interesting A/P. WAY down between mountain ridges, ends closed with rising terain. You flly a close in pattern inside the bowl or a long final down the sloping terain. The lower you get to the R/W the greater the turbulance. 180 wind shifts on final are not uncommon.

Departure is max performance up the face of rising terain or dodge between the peaks, Rock & Roll all the way!

Crew car into town for a great BBQ buffet, Pork, Beef, and Chicken for $6.50

Home by sunset, just about a perfect day.

Attachments

• IMG_3170.jpg
    IMG_3170.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3172.jpg
    IMG_3172.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3165.jpg
    IMG_3165.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3162.jpg
    IMG_3162.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3161.jpg
    IMG_3161.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3160.jpg
    IMG_3160.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3158.jpg
    IMG_3158.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3154.jpg
    IMG_3154.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3153.jpg
    IMG_3153.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 1A6 Bell County  Field, KY.jpg
    1A6 Bell County Field, KY.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
We're flying to The Homestead in Hot Springs, VA KHSP, to attend a rehearsal dinner today and wedding tomorrow. The forecast for the entire weekend looks great.

Anthony said:
We're flying to The Homestead in Hot Springs, VA KHSP, to attend a rehearsal dinner today and wedding tomorrow. The forecast for the entire weekend looks great.

Homestead. Nice place. Ask for one of the haunted rooms.

Oh, and they do have an "old rules" golf course there. Interesting play.

I couldn't waste a day like this(30 mile visibility is rare around here) sitting on the ground so I headed out to the airport intent on burning some avgas. Pulled the plane out of the hangar and as I was climbing in (you literally climb in) a pickup truck pulls up to the ramp. Three guys pile out and one asks me if it would be okay to fly a model plane for a few minutes. I told them I didn't mind as long as they watched out for the "real" planes. Our airport is relatively low on the activity scale, so I didn't see any problem if they stayed at the far end of the ramp. They were kinda standing there anxious for me to leave and I turned them and said, "Would you like to take a short ride in my plane?" Big grins came across their faces and one of them said "Are you serious?" "Sure, come on, I'll show you how to get belted in." So off we go, with the one that had never been in a small plane up front and his dad and cousin in the back seat. We were over "the house" in about 2 minutes and then took a quick ride over the new fishing lake east of town. A little too old for "Young Eagles", but I think I made a couple of converts for GA. :)

After I unloaded the plane, I rewarded myself with a flight up to Cleveland (RNV), MS and lunch at the Airport Grocery. Good eats. Park at Air Repair for the short walk.

ah, cleveland, MS. the armpit of the universe. spent a week or so based out of there summer before last doing photos. Air Repair is pretty cool to look around in, lotsa crop dusters, stearmans, and Bird Dogs around. they werent the friendliest to us little guys looking for gas or a weight and balance to make the plane legal. vis didnt get above 5 miles the 4 days we were there. mosquitos about killed us. the thunderstorm dodging on the way home was welcome by me!

wanna little cheese with that whine?....lol:p

also home of DSU Aviation

http://www.deltastate.edu/pages/457.asp

{and as they say in the beauty pageants, "it's not fair letting those southern girls compete, they're professionals!}

tonycondon said:
ah, cleveland, MS. the armpit of the universe. spent a week or so based out of there summer before last doing photos. Air Repair is pretty cool to look around in, lotsa crop dusters, stearmans, and Bird Dogs around. they werent the friendliest to us little guys looking for gas or a weight and balance to make the plane legal. vis didnt get above 5 miles the 4 days we were there. mosquitos about killed us. the thunderstorm dodging on the way home was welcome by me!

Last edited:
fgcason said:
If you want to have fun, fly ON thanksgiving day or xmas day. You'll think you are one of the Wright brothers because you'll be about the only one in the air.
Thanksgiving, 1300-1400, even the controllers are out to lunch.

Mostly true(part #1). I flew my former wife(via DELTA) from Fort Laud., FL to Portland, Maine on Thanksgiving Day for $270(round trip). Only several days prior to that the pricing would have been from $450 - $600 for short-notice flight bookings.
Friday, my step-son(w/ wife and two young sons) came from Manchester, NH and we all went out to eat.

HR

Back