Fresh Water Fishing Questions

rmciottijr

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
rmciottijr
I am new to fresh water fishing all the fishing my Dad and I have done was salt water fishing. I had been doing some work on Friday that gives me a lot of time in the afternoon to kill.

On my way home I drive past a reservoir with people fishing, I thought that’s a great way to kill the time. So I went to Cablea’s which is also on the way home (bad bad thing) and bought a Rod and some fishing lures. The guy a Cablea’s said the reservoir has Trout, Pike and, Largemouth Bass so he gave me a lure for the Largemouth and off I went.

Well I spent 2 hr casting and reeling back in the lure, no I did not catch anything but still had fun. I am not sure if I am working the lure correctly but what the hell so I was thinking what do other people use bate, lures, bobbers, dynamite etc. Also if anyone has any pointers they would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bob

That explains the hat and the license! :cheers:KLOM Beer drinkers unite!

What I know about fishing could fill a small post-it note.

If you want to increase your productivity use live bait. Minnows or night crawlers are always a good option.

If you enjoy casting I'd recommend starting out with a chartreuse (bright green) and white single blade spinner bait. It can be fished fast or slow (the warmer the water the faster the retrieve usually). Don't get all caught up buying 10 of everything in Cabelas until you find out if you still enjoy the activities.

As one who fished bass tournaments for years I can tell you that your paycheck can shrink buying fishing "stuff" as fast as it can at the airport :eek:

Now get off the computer and go wet a line!:D

Well Bob I agree with Kevin , i use Nightcrawlers and minnows, some weekend come up and we'll go night fishing from my boat.
Dave G.

We have a farm pond and a seven acre irrigation lake here at the farm. It seems like our bass and crappie like white grubs for the most part. There is a nine pound bass out there that has been caught twice...it got away once (plastic worm) and was let go once (a dealie that looked like a minnow with a lot of hooks all over it).

My grandpa showed me a neat trick a long time ago. Take two metal probes (he used the broken off 'prongs' from an old roof-mounted TV antenna), stick the probes into the ground a few yards apart. Using electrical wire, connect the probes to a car battery...viola, instant worm bait.

As far as casting...try using different speeds on retrieval. Bobbers are for the young 'uns and wussies.

Bob,

The fish are rarely going to be right near the surface in the middle of the day. After you cast allow the lure to sink for a few seconds before you retrieve. You can count seconds to yourself to control how far down you let the lure go. Vary the depth to see if one depth works better than others. Obviously if the lure hits the bottom there's no point in letting it sink further and you may snag your lure as well. So bring some extra lures.

As best you can, try moving around the lake and trying different spots. Bass like underwater structure, so they're going to hang out around submerged rocks, stumps, humps, etc. Pike are ferocious predators and everybody in the lake knows that, so the pike prefer to hide themselves a bit under floating weed, in piles of sticks, etc.

Bring a Leatherman, needle-nose pliers, or something like that to the lake with you. If you catch a pike, under no circumstances do you want to be putting your fingers in his mouth!

Regards,
Joe

:cheers:KLOM Beer drinkers unite!

Agreed! Need to that more often. Next time though, we need the see that new 182!

Bob, what wa the resivor you were talking about, Green Lane or Marsh Creek? Both have decent fishing. I'm not a big fresh water fisherman either, but I've had the best success with live bait as well.

Gary

Here are a few other factors that will influence your success with the fishies...

What is the clarity of the water?
Clearer water = use shinier lures Murky water = use darker lures

Condition of the water?
Smooth water, early mornings and evenings = use top water lures/ poppers

Wind ripple water, use a crank bait which dives 2-3 feet down to 8-10 feet (lures should state on the packaging what depth they work at)

What is the vegetation in the lake? If there is a lot of weeds and grass underwater, try using artificial lizards and frogs. These are predators to fish eggs, and the fish will attack them mercilessly! Especially bass! Hold on tight to your rod! (green with watermelon is a killer!)

If there is very little vegetation, then try using lures which 'swim' more like real baitfish. Or a wacky worm setup is also deadly in those conditions. Work it up and down, near the bottom, during the middle of the day when the fish are in the deeper, cooler water. The other fishermen will get jealous!

I wish you as much good luck as I have been having lately! Yesterday, about 20 fish in 3 hrs, ranging from 2lbs to 8 1/2 lbs, all largemouth bass.

If you want to increase your productivity use live bait. Minnows or night crawlers are always a good option.​

Meat fishermen! :no: Where's the challenge?

For largemouth bass the best bait by far is a plastic worm, Texas rigged, so you can bump it along the bottom and swim it through the reeds. I've often gone out with meat fishermen and have consistently out fished them with the plastic worm. In the spring and early summer, on relatively calm days, the best surface lure is the Rapala floating split minnow. Toss it in an arc so it splashes down onto the surface just off the shore or weed line. Wait 10 seconds then just give it a twitch. They'll often hit on the twitch! If not, slowly swim it to the boat.

In the fall as the water is cooling, I've had great success with the Rapala deep diving shad rap.

Pike are different, you want a big SHINY lure.

dupont spinners work well ... fish cops frown on them for some reason ...

Meat fishermen! :no: Where's the challenge?

For largemouth bass the best bait by far is a plastic worm, Texas rigged, so you can bump it along the bottom and swim it through the reeds. I've often gone out with meat fishermen and have consistently out fished them with the plastic worm. In the spring and early summer, on relatively calm days, the best surface lure is the Rapala floating split minnow. Toss it in an arc so it splashes down onto the surface just off the shore or weed line. Wait 10 seconds then just give it a twitch. They'll often hit on the twitch! If not, slowly swim it to the boat.

In the fall as the water is cooling, I've had great success with the Rapala deep diving shad rap.

Pike are different, you want a big SHINY lure.

I don't discount any of the above. However, remember that Bob is just beginning his fishing adventure. As such, my advise to anyone just starting out is to use the KISS principal. As success improves, start experimenting with additional tactics. If a "newbie" doesn't catch fish with any regularity, said newbie will get bored and find another way to spend their time.

wow you guys are great I did it I hooked a fish. Well, it was a Sunny and I saw it hitting the rubber worm so snap and I had it, then I let it go. yet again another fun time on the lake.

Bob

Back