Fresh 3rd class every 3 months ?

Scrabo

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Scrabo
My hangar neighbor was telling me yesterday that his insurance company requires him to get a fresh 3rd class medical every 3 months, yet his actual med cert just has a must wear glasses requirement.

Anyone seen this situation before and why would it be required.

are you a low-time pilot? previous med issues. otherwise you want them to assume liability, their rules. maybe time to shop insurance.

He has over 1000 hours, about 72 years old, very active and as i mentioned, only restriction on his 3rd class is the glasses requirement. I think the plane is an RV 7 but he has owned it for years.

his age sticks out. it sucks but that may be the reason. the company may have an inordinate number of claims from that age group.

His age going from 71 to 72 years old seems an odd trigger for requirement, I would expected it when he turned 70.

If I would be that healthy and active when I am over 70, I would be happy.

I keep reading these near-impossible-over-age-70 insurance anecdotes. I haven't heard of many medical incapacitations in-flight (in any age group really), so I assume they're really trying to hedge against cognitive decline and mistakes.

I do not think a third class medical is an effective screen against cognitive decline.

Maybe these insurers should require their 70+ pilots to complete a Sudoku before every flight.

A medical every 3 months is a pretty strong signal to "go away" from that risk pool. Then again, maybe the cognitive test is to see whether this pilot continues under such onerous terms. Sounds like he failed it after all. Keep him away from retracts please :D

Yeah something seems wonky If the insurance company required that of me I just wouldn't have insurance.

I'm 69. Just did my Flight Review. Also just completed my 3rd class medical...my AME had no issues and gave me the ticket but Oklahoma didn't like my thyroid, so they rescinded it and changed it to a two-year Special Issuance. Insurance company doesn't care.

Yeah something seems wonky If the insurance company required that of me I just wouldn't have insurance.

I have to suspect there is more to this than he is letting on... it just struck me as odd at the time, especially when he showed me a fresh 3th class from a few days prior

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back