Freelance CFI marketing

That's a good site. Clean and straightforward, and those aren't bad rates at all for tailwheel.

I don't mean this maliciously, but it's going to sound harsh. Your website is exactly what ****es me off about most current CFI websites. I would never contact you for training, based on your current website.

Look, most people who are seriously considering flight training know what a CFI is and what kind of "services" you offer.

Where do you fly from? Are you going to cost more or less than the guy at my home airport? Do I have to rent a plane, or do you have (access to) one?

I'm just starting my training. I have built a list of 3 CFIs to go check out before I pick one to commit to. All three on my list gave me at least that much information on their website. Generic "we offer private pilot, instrument, HP/Complex, and Tailwheel training" websites got ignored.

My $1.50.

I agree after about 5 minutes of flipping through pages of their website I learned they have instructors, they do instructor things like tailwheel, acrobatics, ferry flights. And the price of t-shirts and patch’s. I still don’t know if they actually have any aircraft to use or prices. I don’t know instruction rates. Didn’t see business hours but wasn’t really looking since I didn’t see any reason to contact them unless I was desperate to find an instructor or plane to train in.
But I definitely would be more likely to call the website with easy to find lists of airplanes available with hourly rates. Hourly rates of instructors. If low rates especially, if higher rates then an explaination that why you are better that’s the less expensive guys. Well maintained newer aircraft, speciality instructions, nice facility, hangers for aircraft. Line guys to fuel airplanes. I don’t mind paying more if I am getting more.

But when the website has very little specific information or says call or login for information, I am moving on to the next website 99% of the time.

Brian
CFIIG/ASEL

Whether or not you're willing to call for info depends on your level of desperation.
However, I chose my flight school because they had airplane rental rates per hour online and the other school(s) didn't.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Meanwhile, I'm often getting more calls than I have time to handle around my day job... I could almost take on a second instructor if I wanted to get serious with the flight school.
Someday, we are going to actually meet in person and talk…

Meanwhile, I'm often getting more calls than I have time to handle around my day job... I could almost take on a second instructor if I wanted to get serious with the flight school.

If you have a web site your answering service/voicemail should refer them to a web site that is up to date. Still follow up with call back but if you are overloaded with calls then you can leverage a website (again, up to date is mandatory).

Id go so far as to even enable scheduling flights if you have 2FA to verify thier identity.

If you have a web site your answering service/voicemail should refer them to a web site that is up to date. Still follow up with call back but if you are overloaded with calls then you can leverage a website (again, up to date is mandatory).

Id go so far as to even enable scheduling flights if you have 2FA to verify thier identity.
LOL. I updated my website last night, actually. But your suggestions wouldn't make my life easier. It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I frequently give other instructors referrals, in person, when I'm calling potential clients back. A flight scheduler for a one-person operation who's also got another job isn't a good option. In fact it would be a giant headache.

Last edited:
The funny thing is, the website probably isn't any better than it was almost a decade ago. I'm with the others, if I don't see rates for whatever the product or service is, I assume they're out of touch with their customers and overpriced, so I just skip it. It doesn't mean I'm shopping for the lowest price, but it does mean I don't want to wade through BS.
It also adds an extra step for the customer. It's annoying anywhere you go. It's one thing if you're trying to sell a plane with the whole "call for price" thing to filter only serious buyers. But if you're selling a service I don't know why you would make the consumer need to do an extra step.. call/email/ask the pricing.. and inevitably go through the whole charade of negotiating.

I have like 6 calendars I have to try to keep in sync with my non-aviating life. :D No way am I letting a rando book time on my calendar without cash on the barrelhead and without some time to prepare and ensure I can teach what needs taught. There are maybe six things I can "hop in" and wing as a lesson, like a flight review or IPC in a typically-equipped beechcraft, or maybe the first few flights in a new transition from a common prior airplane. Most things I end up doing need preparation from me to ensure a good outcome.

Back