FreeFlight ADS-B failures not ForeFlight !@#$%! auto-correct

Shepherd

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Shepherd
Not sure where this should go:
FAA Safety Team | Safer Skies Through Education
Airworthiness Concern Sheet - Regarding Latent Failure of FreeFlight Systems ADS-B Unit, Model Number FDL-978-XVR
Notice Number: NOTC9650

The Fort Worth Aircraft Certification Office has received reports of latent failures of FreeFlight model FDL-978-XVR ADS-B units. Troubleshooting determined that some units failed completely, while other units failed intermittently. Attempts to update the software and change any unit settings failed, as most parameters were “greyed out” and unable to be changed. Additionally, the failed units gave no indication of failure to the pilot.

This failure will result in loss of ability to see airspace traffic on the ADS-B display, or be seen by other aircraft on their ADS-B display, which may reduce the capability of the airplane or the ability of the crew to cope with adverse operating conditions to the extent that there may be a significant reduction in safety margins or functional capabilities.

The Fort Worth Aircraft Certification Office requests that any users of the FreeFlight Systems model FDL-978-XVR ADS-B units who have experienced similar failures contact the FAA point of contact listed above with the unit’s model, serial number, whether ADSB In and/or ADS-B Out fails to function, and whether or not an error was detected by the unit’s self-diagnostic.

Please read the linked document for further information.

https://www.faasafety.gov/files/notices/2019/Aug/Freeflight_ADS-B_issues_ACS.pdf

If you have experienced a failure with this equipment please contact:
Jacob Fitch
Aerospace Engineer
Fort Worth Aircraft Certification Office
(817) 222-4130
jacob.fitch@faa.gov

Not being snarky... just unaware... should the subject of this thread be "FreeFlight...." and not "ForeFlight....," lest folks get worried about the wrong item... or are the products linked to the same company? I don't use either, but received that notification from the FAA earlier today via email and was curious.

Not being snarky... just unaware... should the subject of this thread be "FreeFlight...." and not "ForeFlight....," lest folks get worried about the wrong item... or are the products linked to the same company? I don't use either, but received that notification from the FAA earlier today via email and was curious.
IIRC, FreeFlight systems is the old aviation division of Trimble. I think.

Definitely not the same as Foreflight

IIRC, FreeFlight systems is the old aviation division of Trimble. I think.

Definitely not the same as Foreflight

Yes, not the same as ForeFlight at all. Please edit the thread title to read "FreeFlight" - Even that will catch more eyes than it should!

+1 On fixing up the title @Shepherd. I'm not a foreflight user but seems a bit unfair to their product if someone does a search.

I have one of those. FAA called me a few years ago and told me my transmission cut out during a flight. News to me. I felt like they were stalking me. No issues since. Although the other day I had traffic cross above me and they didn't show up on my tablet until after they passed. Didn't matter. ATC called them out and I had them visually.

Back