Free stuff for attending siminars. Worth it?

SixPapaCharlie

May the force be with you
Display Name

Display name:
Sixer
I am not going to buy anything. I am a cheap bastard.

I got a few things in the mail this week.
Go look at some land and Get a free set of golf clubs and an iPad
My dad did this and it is legit but he is not a cheap bastard so he owns some land now.

Another one is some time share and I get something else techie for free.

Question
1. Anyone go to these things?
2. Am I an ass if I go with zero intent to buy what they are selling and only to get the freebies?

Is it wrong to tell them "look, I literally cannot afford what you are selling. I am here for the goodies" Or do I have to play along and pretend I am interested and tell them I will call them later.

I am not above wasting a Saturday for a free set of golf clubs and an iPad Mini.

After they give you the general view and then bring you in to the little room for the one-on-one hard sell, ask them if you can video record the event. Be curious if it becomes a Pete Flemming event or not. (just ignore the zipper)

It would depend on how long you have to sit through the sales pitch vs what free stuff you get. A friend went on a 3 day resort weekend where they had a nice condo for those days and only had a hour long sales pitch to sit through. Of course the condo was in Fla so they had to provide their own airfare, car, and food but it was a nice little getaway.

Yeah, I've done a few, got at combo 13" TV/VHS at one, skiing at another, golf at another. Yeah, there's a high pace salesman and all that fun, but when they're all done, I laugh at them and say,"This is a really nice place, but I'm broke as..." Then they pitch the finance and look me up...and I don't exist lol. They pretty much don't waste their time with me after that. I'm surprised I'm still on lists for that crap. Next one that offers an iPad though, I'm going. :D

My folks used to do stuff like that for the swag and weekend. They were really good at resisting the hard sell and would cash in until they dropped off the mailing lists.

OK, I will do it but I feel bad going in knowing that I won't buy anything. I guess it s their schtick and probably a lot f people do that.

Mike, is there really a one on one deal like that?

If so that is where I am going to have to go "look man, I came for the goods. Any extra money I have goes to the kids' college funds. When those are fully funded, call me about buying land. But only if you have more free stuff."

This is the one that mailed me today:
http://www.rockcreekontexoma.com/promos/callaway-mini/

I keep getting ones for a free TB-21 Bryan - but it's always a weekend I have other plans :mad2:

OK, I will do it but I feel bad going in knowing that I won't buy anything. I guess it s their schtick and probably a lot f people do that.

Mike, is there really a one on one deal like that?

If so that is where I am going to have to go "look man, I came for the goods. Any extra money I have goes to the kids' college funds. When those are fully funded, call me about buying land. But only if you have more free stuff."

This is the one that mailed me today:
http://www.rockcreekontexoma.com/promos/callaway-mini/

Don't feel to bad, they are likely getting a hell of a deal on the swag in an advertising sphere of coprosperity.:rolleyes:

Can be. Remember, the entire point about this is to sell you something. And they can't/won't do this while your amongst the herd. They will give everyone the general pitch, then later cut each of you from the herd, bring you into the office or conference room, and do what's needed for you to sign the contract.

Before you go, best to read the fine print on the "come see us offer". There might be verbiage that addresses freeloaders. Maybe something that says by attending, you agree for them to use your contact information as they see fit, including selling it to junk mail lists. Maybe something that says they will take your buddy's white corvette or PA28-2356 because you won't sign the contract...

Oh man, this is only 3 miles from Cedar Mills and I don't see anything too interesting in the fine print. I may make a weekend out of it. Have to drag Mrs 6PC as it stats properties must be viewed as a couple, tour time is 2 hours.

I am sure what is not mentioned is the 8 hour sales pitch that follows

If you can resist the hard sale ,can be fun ,and depending on the incentive,not a bad deal.

Can be. Remember, the entire point about this is to sell you something. And they can't/won't do this while your amongst the herd. They will give everyone the general pitch, then later cut each of you from the herd, bring you into the office or conference room, and do what's needed for you to sign the contract.

Before you go, best to read the fine print on the "come see us offer". There might be verbiage that addresses freeloaders. Maybe something that says by attending, you agree for them to use your contact information as they see fit, including selling it to junk mail lists. Maybe something that says they will take your buddy's white corvette or PA28-2356 because you won't sign the contract...

I better get some free swag if that's happening!!!

I just returned from a vacation on Maui, HI, I got 5 days of stay at luxury of Westin Resort at highly reduced price (plus other bonuses) provided I attend their time-share presentation. It was a classy hotel, everything worked as advertised and the presentation lasted exactly 90 min as they promised and I even enjoyed it. I did not regret doing it and did not buy anything. Extended my vacation in Hawaii staying somewhere else afterwards.

But I attended some other similar events and not always the aggravation was worth the prize.

You should inquire how long the presentation will last, anything over 2 hrs is unbearable by my standards.

Last edited:
Check the State laws. Most allow you to cancel a contract before 24? 48? hours from signing it. So when/if you do sign, put the time and date by your signature.

-Skip

Check the State laws. Most allow you to cancel a contract before 24? 48? hours from signing it. So when/if you do sign, put the time and date by your signature.
True, sometimes it is even 3 days but any legit sales operation like that should tell him up front at signing that 1) there is a grace period 2) how long it is. If they are hiding this info - I would walk away automatically.

-Skip

Do not sign with the intent to cancel! They will delay the cancellation past the cancellation period! :yikes: These guys aren't amateurs! They are the best if the best, or worst of the worst, depending on your point of view. But, they are very skilled salespeople that have a response to every objection! The profit and commissions are huge, they will find a way to make it look much more attractive than it actually is. :rolleyes:

Do not sign with the intent to cancel!
Yes, it wouldn't be wise. However upon (hypothetical) signing he should get clear cancellation instructions - deadline to cancel plus any address, wire info, etc where and how to send cancellation notice. I know a friend who successfully cancelled his timeshare purchase upon close examination of the contract - he found things that were objectionable, he took advantage of California's 3 day grace period.

Last edited:
Do not sign with the intent to cancel! They will delay the cancellation past the cancellation period! :yikes: These guys aren't amateurs! They are the best if the best, or worst of the worst, depending on your point of view. But, they are very skilled salespeople that have a response to every objection! The profit and commissions are huge, they will find a way to make it look much more attractive than it actually is. :rolleyes:

Yep, that's why I don't object, I just tell them I'm broke. They look me up and there's nothing there to tell them different.:D:lol:

When they get you in a room for face to face meeting, fake a heart attack....

Question
1. Anyone go to these things?
2. Am I an ass if I go with zero intent to buy what they are selling and only to get the freebies?

Used to do it when I was younger for fun. Once we got to the location and they asked if we were interested or just came for the freebies. Told them we just came for the freebies and they gave them to us and told us to go.

Used to do it when I was younger for fun. Once we got to the location and they asked if we were interested or just came for the freebies. Told them we just came for the freebies and they gave them to us and told us to go.

Honesty is so refreshing.

Once we got to the location and they asked if we were interested or just came for the freebies..
If freebies are above some token value it is unlikely to work.
If someone promises Ipad or some other 'high value prize' they usually require you sit through some minimum time of presentation whether you like it or not. Therefore it is important to know what this minimum time is beforehand.

Last edited:
The last time I sat through one of these, the salesman kept pitching me on the benefits of timeshare and I kept responding with reasons why his pitch was flawed. After a few rounds of this he asked what my occupation was; I told him I was an engineer and he said "I thought so; you can't tell engineers anything!". Then he got up and left the room.

I got my swag right after that. I decided to stop attending these things though; the "gifts" were, in my view, no longer worth it.

I just returned from a vacation on Maui, HI, I got 5 days of stay at luxury of Westin Resort at highly reduced price (plus other bonuses) provided I attend their time-share presentation. It was a classy hotel, everything worked as advertised and the presentation lasted exactly 90 min as they promised and I even enjoyed it. I did not regret doing it and did not buy anything. Extended my vacation in Hawaii staying somewhere else afterwards.

I want us to get on this mailing list! Golf clubs I will pass on, but give me a luxury stay in Hawaii, and I will sit attentively and listen to Charlie Brown's teacher talk for half a day!

I got a free Office 2007 for attending a Microsoft seminar.

Also, Pat Boone offered a free transistor radio for looking at land at Ocean Shores. As I was leaving the office, a shark closer grabbed me. He had one last pitch for some "used" land, at a discount!! They wouldn't give me the radio.

I was lucky to land with the skin of my teeth.

I want us to get on this mailing list! Golf clubs I will pass on, but give me a luxury stay in Hawaii, and I will sit attentively and listen to Charlie Brown's teacher talk for half a day!

Don't worry. I have a feeling after doing one, we will be on all the mailing lists.

I think they know they get a more serious crowd if you have to purchase your own airfare plus you have to *prepay* (I did it 6 months in advance) for those 5 days - the discounted rate at Westin, Maui ain't exactly cheap.

We've done them. Free show tickets in Vegas to look at a timeshare, free nights camping with the 5th wheel to "check out" a resort camping place. Etc. I find it interesting to see which sales tricks they try to pull. Heck, we said no at the camping place and then acted like we might talk to them later in the weekend and got a free breakfast out of it. We ended up not using it, but if you don't mind the time waste, or have plenty of time, it's fun to play along. The sales guy probably shouldn't have parked his newish Cadillac out front of the meeting room at the campsite thing. Kinda gave away why he "does this in retirement". Huh yup. Everybody enjoys a new Caddie every few years in "retirement". LOL

A friend of mine went to one of these things which offered a boat with an outboard motor. What he got was a small vinyl inflatable rowboat with a thing that sort of looked like an egg beater with a long shaft.

We've gone to some local seminars where they gave you $100 gift certificates for local stores. Yeah you listen to the drivel and the hard sell and take your free gift and get out.

I've seen some real atrocious hard sells. While no real "gift" was involved I went to one of the UBC / Direct Buy offers. Boy that had SCAM all over it.

Maybe I'm the only one who considers my time worth more than a 13" tv or iPad or whatever? It also helps that my wife accumulates a ton of airmiles and hotel points.

If you do it, telling them that you're saving for your childrens college fund is not going to cut it. Faking a heart attack is likely to get you a ride to the hospital and a head ache next time you go for your medical.

You're best bet is to fake being deaf. Do some fake sign language and shake your head. Also, show up in sunglasses, and a hoody (aka pro poker style).

I got a free Office 2007 for attending a Microsoft seminar.

That's a different story. Microsoft and some of the other venders who actually have a legitimate product will give you some cool stuff to learn about it. I did a one day virtualization course that ended up with some various swag (note books, pens, etc...) as well as a free 1 year hyper-v license.

My friend's brother and sister in law didn't pay for any hotel stays on their honeymoon by going from resort to resort and listening to the pitches. They had no money or credit so there was no danger of getting roped into a timeshare.

My friend's brother and sister in law didn't pay for any hotel stays on their honeymoon by going from resort to resort and listening to the pitches. They had no money or credit so there was no danger of getting roped into a timeshare.

I would say "how romantic" but we slept in a tent adjacent to a waste treatment facility on our honeymoon.

My parents dragged me into one if these seminars when I was a kid in return for a "projection screen TV". Well, they didn't buy anything and the projection screen TV turned out to be a box with angled mirrors. The idea was to put your TV on its back and strap this contraption to it and the mirrors would project the image onto the wall. I think we also got a ****ty plastic camera....never was tempted to go to another one.

How do you get on the mailing lists for these things? I'd gladly take an Ipad (poor college aviation student talking.)

Back