• No, I would not

Votes: 28 80.0%

• Total voters

MountainDude

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
MountainDude
Note added after I saw some comments: this is only for short stays, typically 1 or 2 nights. It's not for long vacations.
If someone built an app/website that allows pilots to:
1. Host other pilots from out of town (provide free lodging, and optionally free ride to/from the airport, especially where there is no Uber/rent-a-car)
2. Stay with pilots when they visit other places.

Both would be completely free to all parties involved. Of course, the visiting pilot can always bring food, pay for car gas, but it's not mandatory.
The app would enable ratings for each person, both as a host and as a visitor.
The host sets the rules for max number of nights, max number of people, pets, and anything else.
Would you do it?

Last edited:
Intriguing, but probably some people will use it and others in particular will get used by it.

Still, might be worth a shot.

Only POAers can stay for free and get free rides. Otherwise, the app should charge the typical aviation super-surcharge.

Short answer: No

Why? If I had the accommodations I could charge $300+ easily as an Airbnb. I don’t anyways, but that’s the hypothetical.

Additional why not? Pilots are kinda cheap-minded. You might get some 20-year-old slumming it while in flight school or something and need lawyers and such to get an eviction after losing $50k. Or $500k.

not worth it.

If I wanted to run a BnB, I sure wouldn’t do that for free. If I was flying somewhere, the last thing I’d want is to be reliant on the goodness of others to meet my expectation of hospitality.

I’d don’t understand the fascination with wanting to share your house with an unscreened stranger for a profit, much less doing it for free with attendant liability and potential for squatting.

But have at it.

I have hosted people I knew online dozens of times.

I would not advertise that I have guest accommodations for any old Rando Calrissian. Just because you are a pilot doesn't mean you're not a total doos.

It's a cool idea, but I personally wouldn't be comfortable staying with or hosting strangers. People that I met on the internet and know a bit about, sure. I'd be willing to host a friend for a few days, whether or not they came bearing food or gas money. Complete strangers, no thank you.

People have tried this with airport cars. Problem is, the person hosting near a beach/popular city/tourist destination is going to be doing a lot more work than the person in East BFE who is now open to access all of these great locations.

Further, most people don’t live right on the airport so there’s an issue of ground transportation. Signing up to provide a free place to stay and personal taxi service slash tour guide is asking a lot.

Having someone stay with you while your family and small children are home at the same time is a no go for me. Regardless of where I met the person. If I don't know their background, moral and criminal, I wouldn’t let that person near my family.

Strangers? Nope! not unless I was set up like an airbnb then I would charge. Having said that if someone here said they were going to be around and needed a ride I might accommodate that. I am one of the few people who still picks up hitchhikers from time to time*. :hairraise:

*what are the chances of two serial killers being in the car at the same time?

Maybe If it were set up as a members only club where every member offered reciprocal courtesies. Otherwise, it is just charity. It is hard these days to be altruistic without being taken advantage of.

I’d gladly host any PoAer I’ve met (I think I like all y’all well enough). But until I meet you, I’m not so sure. But that’s just me. Else, isn’t that what FBO couches for?

One thing to do in pursuit of this - research the app, CouchSurfing. It used to be free and was targeted to world travelers as a way to connect and facilitate cultural exchange. I was a user until they started charging - great way to participate in cultural activities whilst I was traveling globally for work.

I've stayed with people I've met for the first time a number of times. Also, reciprocated.

No way I would and I wonder how many fools living close to AirVenture, Sun and Fun, Kitty Hawk, and the US Air Force in Dayton would do this.

I think this was attempted years ago,and it never caught on.it was also attempted to start a site for pilots to assist pilots that had a breakdown or delay for weather.

if I can find 122 PoAers to let me stay 3 nights each for free I can sell my house and in roughly 15 years I could afford to buy a twin. a man with a plan…….

...implying this site is more than the same dozen or two bored people grouching at one another? :D GLWT

I could see this taking off as the legacy fleet dwindles.

you’ve got a ‘62 Comanche? Come stay with me! No charge!

next day: what? Someone removed the front wheel assembly? Never heard of such a thing! Hey, sorry man, no, you can’t stay here for six months waiting on replacement availability

Back