Free Photography

skier

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Skier
EDIT FOR CLARIFICATION: I'm looking for people with aircraft in and around Connecticut that would be willing to meet me at their home airport and let me take some pictures of their plane.

Ok, I'm baiting you guys a bit. A few threads down there was a pilot offering free flight instruction to allow him to build PIC time. This is similar and would draw a similar reaction on the photography forums to which I belong.

Anyways, I'm a pilot that doesn't get to fly nearly as much as I like. In fact, I haven't been current is a number of years. Recently I've taken up photography as a hobby and have been enjoying photographing planes at my local airports. Unfortunately, a lot of the nicer/better-maintained planes are kept behind closed hangar doors. Since I'm still gaining experience I would like to offer up my assistance to anyone in the Connecticut area that may be interested in having some photos taken of their plane. It doesn't matter to me whether you're looking to sell your plane and need photos for a listing, or just want some nice photos of your aircraft for Facebook.

I will provide you with high-res versions of any images that come out well. All I ask in return is that you allow me to post an image of your aircraft to the internet. I typically use 500px, airplane-pictures.net, and I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to get my photos onto Airlines.net.
500px
https://500px.com/s1a1om/galleries/transportation
airplane-pictures.net
http://www.airplane-pictures.net/advanced-search.php?m=&o=&c=&p=16739&order=screen_timestamp

Below are a few sample images I took this year.

8ae0595faf7b2be64a7e2898bec3e9d4

4af8596a507e63544602075e4128c979

e3b4622466dfccf22899e35a55240033

Last edited:
Aight, come down to Texas and you can take pictures of my airplane. :)
But no posting them on Fecesbook, no need to feed the retarded monkeys.

Ok, I'm baiting you guys a bit. A few threads down there was a pilot offering free flight instruction to allow him to build PIC time. This is similar and would draw a similar reaction on the photography forums to which I belong.

Yup ya did it now! James will be right along as soon as he finishes on the Free CFI thread. ;):D

Aight, come down to Texas and you can take pictures of my airplane. :)
But no posting them on Fecesbook, no need to feed the retarded monkeys.

Texas is a bit far, especially since I don't know what type of plane you fly. However, if it's Catbird, the Boomerang, or a Transavia PL-12 Airtruk, then I'll let you know my flight number tomorrow. :D

I was thinking anywhere within about an hours drive of Hartford would be reasonable for more common planes (150, 172, Pa28-140) and 2 hours for more interesting aircraft or ones I just have a soft-spot for (Brantly B2, Quickie, Emigh Trojan, Ercoupe)...unless you have something really cool.

When I am up in the "Haht-fd" area, I might give you a buzz.
FWIW, KHFD would look well in your profile (so that most of us can see where you at). :)

Yup ya did it now! James will be right along as soon as he finishes on the Free CFI thread. ;):D

Lol

Sweet photos BTW, like the lighting on the chopper

Every time I scroll the list and see this thread I never read it as what it says, it read it differently...ugh

FWIW, KHFD would look well in your profile (so that most of us can see where you at). :)

Done. I put down KHFD, but I've rented planes at both KHFD and KSNC.

Every time I scroll the list and see this thread I never read it as what it says, it read it differently...ugh

It probably doesn't help that I wrote my whole life story in the first post. I'll edit it to make it clearer at the top of the post that I'm looking for people with planes willing to let me photograph their plane.

I also had a friend see my post on here (without realizing it was me). He said he wasn't going to respond since he just flies a rental plane. If you fly a rental (or club plane) and just want some nice photos with you in front of the plane, I can do that as well. Actually I'm pretty much up for trying to photograph anything involving aviation. Homebuilt being built. Plane undergoing restoration. Family portrait with your plane.

Last edited:
If you make it down to the D.C. area, I'd not only give you permission to publish the photo, I'd offer you a ride with some stick time.

Nope you didn't catch my drift....replace photograpghy with another p word...hahaha don't know why but that's where my mind goes every time.

You take good pictures and if you were closer to me id take you up on it.

If you make it down to the D.C. area, I'd not only give you permission to publish the photo, I'd offer you a ride with some stick time.

I might take you up on that sometime. I have some friends down in that area, so I usually get down there about once a year.

I had one person take me up on my offer. He flew up to KSNC last weekend and we spent about 1.5 hours taking photos.

a444a3cb45aed0c4bcde0b29c8950077

307e1006720ef6623d4e30457c140f4b

Nice pics! Have you seen Jack's on here, somewhere? His are very good too.

Those Remos are pretty cool airplanes

Nice pics! Have you seen Jack's on here, somewhere?

I finally found one of his threads. Yes, he does a very nice job. I recognize some of his photos, which make me think he's on a photography forum I frequent. I always find it a bit funny when you start recognizing the same people on different forums, especially when they aren't directly related. I think there are also a few people on here from the homebuiltairplanes.com forum and I believe I saw at least Vance from RotaryForum.com.

Anyways, here's a couple more from recent trips to local airports.

The cockpit of a Piper Arrow at a local flight school.
f25bf7b76579bfe7a5901e81160fa0f1

A Champ getting some work done
c519ffb91c05f6119a871f93f2caefce

A Lancair
e0e74a732d1c13ac219fec4aabb90aa1

I'm still looking for other planes to photograph in Connecticut (or nearby Mass). If you're interested, let me know.

Also, if you happen to see your aircraft posted here, let me know and I can send you the photo (and possibly additional photos of your aircraft).

Last edited:
You pictures really beautiful. I'm looking forward to see more of them. :)

You might want to get in touch with some of the local aircraft brokers..... you could arrange for some professional photography of (local) planes they are trying to sell and get some subjects in return. Nice work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might want to get in touch with some of the local aircraft brokers..... you could arrange for some professional photography of (local) planes they are trying to sell and get some subjects in return. [...]

Now, THIS sound like a great idea. I'm regularly puzzled why people can't come up with nothing more than a few ****ty flip-phone era cellphone picture for their ads on trade-a-plane. This includes professional brokers / dealers.

Not sure how much they'd be willing to pay for a photos service, I would however think that a couple hundred bucks + expenses should be possible.

Having nice / many photos of the car / plane / boat / whatever you are trying to sell does not only create much more interest, it also increases the chances of achieving a good price --> there is a direct monetary value for the seller in having a nice photo collection of the plane's he is trying to sell.

Now, THIS sound like a great idea. I'm regularly puzzled why people can't come up with nothing more than a few ****ty flip-phone era cellphone picture for their ads on trade-a-plane. This includes professional brokers / dealers.

Not sure how much they'd be willing to pay for a photos service, I would however think that a couple hundred bucks + expenses should be possible.

Having nice / many photos of the car / plane / boat / whatever you are trying to sell does not only create much more interest, it also increases the chances of achieving a good price --> there is a direct monetary value for the seller in having a nice photo collection of the plane's he is trying to sell.

I've used that line of thinking as well. Especially when we're talking GA aircraft, many of which are large investments >$50,000. I've emailed a few brokers but have not had any takers. The closest I've gotten is with the Remos pictured above. It is currently for sale and I sent 4 photos to the broker and said that if they had any other planes in the area that I'd be happy to photograph them (at no charge :(). They seemed like they may take me up on the offer, but they area located in another state and don't currently have any other aircraft in the area. I've sent emails to a half dozen other brokers, but I never hear back. I've also tried calling a couple people who had terrible photos in their ads on Barnstormers, trade-a-plane, etc directly. They responded "I already have photos". It's like most things, some people just don't care about quality (even at 0-cost).

I've been talking with a local A&P who has a Lancair that he wants to sell, but he needs to clean it up a bit before we do photos. It sounds like there's a decent chance he'll contact me when the time comes.

I also recently joined a local EAA chapter, so I'm hoping contacts there will help lead to some subjects in the spring. I'll also planning on "spamming" a few aircraft owners with rare/unusual aircraft in the area through their contact information on the FAA site. For now I'm just driving to local airports and photographing what's out at tie-downs.

Here's a C-172 I found. I used a technique referred to as the Brenizer Method, which helps give it the unique look. It was a combination of around 50 images stitched together in Photoshop. The resulting file was >4GB and more than 19,000 pixels wide :eek:. Obviously the final image was scaled down quite a bit.

89f5934a8a057eae1b4efc1e94ce3b77

Back