Free handheld GPS receiver

Ken Ibold

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ken Ibold
Yup, free.

Apollo Precedus, vintage 1996. Database last updated in, oh, 2003 or so. Recent battery runs it for about 2 hours with backlight on.

Comes with all documentation and all accessories from new, EXCEPT the 12V aux cord. However, the cords from an Icom A22 transceiver and a DRE 6000 ANR headset fit and work fine. It does have the AC adapter. Cosmetically, it's just about perfect.

This was a top of the line model in its day, one of the first to have (some) instrument approaches and extended runway centerline. They're not selling on eBay, and it's a shame to have it just sit on a shelf in my closet.

If more than one person speaks up, the tiebreaker will be: Tell me why you deserve to have it in 100 words or less. I reserve sole discretion in deciding, and NO WHINING if you don't get it. Be advised your "entry" may be posted.

This is another in my periodic listings of free airplane stuff as I try to get my aviation clutter under control!

Ken. You are a nice guy. :yes:

Man. If someone else hasn't nailed it, I'll throw mine in...

I've been looking for an aviation GPS for ages now. But, finances being as they are as a college student, the task has been trying to find one that will work but not kill my monthly budget. In reality I should spend more time dead reckoning, but once again on the budget, the direct function is quite helpful in minimizing the time. So you'll be helping out a fledgling pilot and student, and I will be sure to pass the GPS along after I graduate (to another fledgling pilot) in order to keep the good will going :)

*crosses fingers*

wbarnhill said:
I will be sure to pass the GPS along after I graduate (to another fledgling pilot) in order to keep the good will going :)

*crosses fingers*

Well, I am not Ken and I don't make the rules here. But that right there would be the winning statement if I were Ken. Great idea!

*fingers crossed for you!*

-Skip

Skip Miller said:
Well, I am not Ken and I don't make the rules here. But that right there would be the winning statement if I were Ken. Great idea!

*fingers crossed for you!*

-Skip

It's the best thing I could think of, and I think it'd be an excellent way to foster camaraderie in the pilot community :)

*still crossed* :D

I'll take it. I deserve it because I'm the pilot, and I should have a GPS just like my passenger/wife does :rofl:

I have one and I love it. I used it to fly to Gaston's last year. I don't care if it is 10 years old it really works great. The company that made it is in Salem Or. they were bought by UPS Tech. which was purchased by Garmin. They still have a full support for the product. If I didn't have one I would love to have it Ken. I use the user waypoint function a lot out here in the wide open eastern Oregon country. Bob

Brett has offered me an older Garmin, so I'm out of the running, but I still think it'd be a great idea to pass it on :D

Thanks again!

Hmmm, 100 words or less.

Please, sir, my wife cannot walk because of the flesh eating bacteria. The doctors don't know what to do. Oy, her medical bills are so expensive. I barely have enough money to continue to fly. My children will starve if I bust the ADIZ. Can you help? God bless you.

I would like to have your GPS. I plan on taking it apart to see what makes it function. I also plan to duplicate everything inside the GPS and market it as my own. If I am successful at disecting it, I will create mini GPS's and install them in the entire rat population of New York city. Tracking the whereabouts of rats will enable me to track their movements and study the habits of rats.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Attachments

• Thomas Hawk Painting.jpg
    Thomas Hawk Painting.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 36
flyifrvfr said:
I would like to have your GPS. I plan on taking it apart to see what makes it function. I also plan to duplicate everything inside the GPS and market it as my own. If I am successful at disecting it, I will create mini GPS's and install them in the entire rat population of New York city. Tracking the whereabouts of rats will enable me to track their movements and study the habits of rats.
You should have said the entire rat population of DC

Put me in the running. I have thought of getting one as back-up for my excellent navigational skills :), but every time I consider the price, I realize that the amount would pay for several more hours of flight time. And, believe it or not, I enjoy navigation. It's one of the things that drew me to aviation.

Like William, I would definitely pass it on when the scales tip and I upgrade to something else. Also, I'm purdier than any of these guys. :D

Petra

I also have an Apollo Precedus. I am short the battery and antenna. Anyone wants it..it is yours.

Jesse,

I'm assuming you've found an owner for your Apollo since your PM box is full and will not accept more messages. If you haven't found a new owner, I am interested.

And the winner is ...

Infotango, come on down!

Rob pledges to use his new-to-him Precedus to avoid the FRZ during his flying around his Maryland base. Given the recent history of that area, Rob figures by helping him avoid a bust, I'm helping EVERYONE. So this is indeed the gift that keeps on giving.

Speaking of which, this bequeath is made subject to Rob agreeing to pass it along for free at whatever point he upgrades -- assuming it still works by then.

Rob, PM me your snailmail address and it'll be on its way.

Wow this is quite an honor!

I most certainly will send the unit on to some other pilot when I upgrade.

Maybe I'll have the foresight to hold some type of contest as well.

Rob

infotango said:
Wow this is quite an honor!

I most certainly will send the unit on to some other pilot when I upgrade.

Maybe I'll have the foresight to hold some type of contest as well.

Rob
Congrats Rob! May it serve you well! :D

I've still gotta get in the air and use the one Brett gave me.

THANKS AGAIN BRETT!!! :D

p8cleared2land said:
Jesse,

I'm assuming you've found an owner for your Apollo since your PM box is full and will not accept more messages. If you haven't found a new owner, I am interested.

Nope. I haven't. PM me your info and I will ship it to you as soon as I can.

OK its my turn to help someone out. But you MUST pass it on when you are done with it.

I have a Magellan Sportrak that has been downloaded with a June 2005 Jeppsen Aviation data base. It has moving map, and airport information. I will also throw in the yoke mount and soft case.
I would like to see this go to one of our student pilots or a new PP that needs one until they upgrade.

Thank you, Jesse! PM sent. And, congratulations Rob and William! I can't wait to start using mine, and am following William's excellent suggestion of passing it on when I upgrade.

Petra

Dean - Student pilot right here that is going to take my check ride next month!

I would be interested an surely pass it along in the great PofA tradition established in the post.

Dean said:
OK its my turn to help someone out. But you MUST pass it on when you are done with it.

I have a Magellan Sportrak that has been downloaded with a June 2005 Jeppsen Aviation data base. It has moving map, and airport information. I will also throw in the yoke mount and soft case.
I would like to see this go to one of our student pilots or a new PP that needs one until they upgrade.

I didn't know you can put the Jepp Database in there. I've got a Sportrak I could do that to. Not like I need another GPS though. :)

Chris that check is on the way!
Just thought it would be cool to have a handheld for the 150

This thread needs to be renamed the GPS matchup thread :)

What a community!

AirBaker said:
I didn't know you can put the Jepp Database in there. I've got a Sportrak I could do that to. Not like I need another GPS though. :)
I found a company in Texas that will load it in about any GPS you have. It cost $35.00 + shipping there and back.

CapeCodJay said:
Dean - Student pilot right here that is going to take my check ride next month!

I would be interested an surely pass it along in the great PofA tradition established in the post.

Send me a PM with your address and I'll ship it right out. And good luck on the check ride.:yes:

infotango said:
This thread needs to be renamed the GPS matchup thread :)

It's been so successful so far, we should start matching people too! :yes:

Now where's all them wimmin pilots at? :D

I didn't even submit my 100 words or less thesis re Ken's Free handheld GPS Receiver. Y'all see, I already have the Free York Gust-Lock for Skyhawk which came from Ken Ibold's toy box of goodies. It arrived in its original shipping container, wrapped inside in its original plastic bags, and with the unused decal, "Protected by YORK Gust-Lock". Pilots are the nicest people; and then there's Ken -- and you others he's inspired to share.

(I s'pose there's a long wait 'til the Posting of the Pitts occurs, eh?)

HR

Last edited:
Back