Frederick fly in this Saturday

ScottK

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ScottK
Me and a couple guys from my flight club will be flying in to Frederick using the West Notam over Martinsburg VOR. It's our first time going into FDK for a fly in. I would love to hear any tips, things to look for from pilots that have done this or have local knowledge that would help.

We've gone over the Notam pretty thoroughly and have a good idea of how we'll be dividing the duties. And I'm assuming that the traffic at the Martinsburg VOR will be heavy. Any thing else you folks could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• FrederickNotam-only.pdf
    7.2 MB · Views: 6
I'm intriuged by this instruction in the NOTAM:
"VFR Flight Following: Pilots wanting VFR flight-following are requested to file a VFR flight plan with FSS. VFR departures may obtain their VFR flight-following beacon code from Potomac TRACON June 5 and 6, 2015 between the hours of 12:00 NOON and 6:00 PM local, on 126.9"

Have I missed something? Does a VFR plan now go to ATC, or is this the same rubbish all over again?

AOPA or the FDK airport manager has probably set this up as a one-time thing for the special event, due to anticipated high traffic levels. Many will fly in and out VFR, if not most.

Me and a couple guys from my flight club will be flying in to Frederick using the West Notam over Martinsburg VOR. It's our first time going into FDK for a fly in. I would love to hear any tips, things to look for from pilots that have done this or have local knowledge that would help.

We've gone over the Notam pretty thoroughly and have a good idea of how we'll be dividing the duties. And I'm assuming that the traffic at the Martinsburg VOR will be heavy. Any thing else you folks could offer would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Yes. Don't bust the SFRA. Really. Don't bust the SFRA. It's quite close to FDK. Also watch P-40 - if it's expanded there's not much room between the SFRA and P-40.

Personally, I'd be very cautious. There will be VFR traffic shooting the gap between P-40 and the SFRA who are above the airspace for the tower.

I'm intriuged by this instruction in the NOTAM:
"VFR Flight Following: Pilots wanting VFR flight-following are requested to file a VFR flight plan with FSS. VFR departures may obtain their VFR flight-following beacon code from Potomac TRACON June 5 and 6, 2015 between the hours of 12:00 NOON and 6:00 PM local, on 126.9"

Have I missed something? Does a VFR plan now go to ATC, or is this the same rubbish all over again?

AOPA or the FDK airport manager has probably set this up as a one-time thing for the special event, due to anticipated high traffic levels. Many will fly in and out VFR, if not most.

And they'd be smart to use flight-following. 126.9 is the clearance delivery frequency at FDK. My guess is that (since the NOTAM indicates file with FSS, not with DUATS) that it'll be put into the system in a manner similar to an SFRA plan. I don't know for certain though, simply a guess.

Given the amount of traffic expected and the lack of room for error, this is a very smart move. The TRACON airborne frequency there also handles incoming SFRA traffic, some traffic on arrivals to IAD & DCA, and other stuff. requesting a beacon code in the air will be problematic, I think.

Usually it would be no big problem ,but with the increase in trafic,you could have a problem. Make sure you don't bust the Sara or p 40 they take it very seriously.

Back