Fred Haise in Ames, IA

http://www.news.iastate.edu/news/2009/sep/Apollo13

This saturday. I am unlikely to make it (although a slight possibility) as I will be up in MSP area.

"In 1978, Haise commanded the third orbital flight of the shuttle on a rescue mission to Skylab, but the ailing space station re-entered the atmosphere and burned before the much-delayed shuttle flight could be made."

Interesting. The first flight of the Shuttle was in 1980.

"In 1978, Haise commanded the third orbital flight of the shuttle on a rescue mission to Skylab, but the ailing space station re-entered the atmosphere and burned before the much-delayed shuttle flight could be made."

Didnt Haise fly on Apoll 13?

Didnt Haise fly on Apoll 13?
Yes he did, he was the LMP.
Jim Lovell was the mission commander and lives no too far from me in Lake Forest. His son owns a restaurant nearby me. The CMP was a last minute fill in from the back up crew, Jack Swigert.

Jack dies in 1982 from cancer. He had been elected to Congress from Colorado. If you pass through the Denver airport they have a nice statue of him on display.

Fred was the original commander of STS-2 but the mission was canceled. He did fly the Shuttle but only as part of the ALTs.

Last edited:

that 1978 mission must've been much-delayed.

This is what really ahppened:

He flew five flights as the commander of the space shuttle Enterprise, in 1977, for the Approach and Landing Tests Program at Edwards Air Force Base, and was selected to command the original STS-2 mission to rescue the Skylab space station in 1979, but was cancelled due to the long delays in the Shuttle's development as well as the break-up of the Skylab in mid-1979.

Back