Franklin 220

Richard

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Ack...city life
Are parts readily available for this engine?

How reliable is this engine for installation in a L-5 Sentinel?

There is a "zero time" 220 for sale. How would this engine be zero timed?

Any 'gotchas' of this engine I should be aware of?

I'm in preparation for buying a project L-5.

EDIT: yes, I know only the LYC O-235 is approved for the L-5. I'm thinking of a field approval...not the first time for an engine swap.

Last edited:
Are parts readily available for this engine?

How reliable is this engine for installation in a L-5 Sentinel?

There is a "zero time" 220 for sale. How would this engine be zero timed?

Any 'gotchas' of this engine I should be aware of?

I'm in preparation for buying a project L-5.

EDIT: yes, I know only the LYC O-235 is approved for the L-5. I'm thinking of a field approval...not the first time for an engine swap.

Which Franklin? the Chek version or the US made engine? they are not the same.

Both are orphaned engines, and support is rare

Unless you have a previously approved 337 and preferably one pre-Oct 1955 for the identical change, the odds of a field approval are pretty slim. The FAA is getting much more picky about FAs.

Unless you have a previously approved 337 and preferably one pre-Oct 1955 for the identical change, the odds of a field approval are pretty slim. The FAA is getting much more picky about FAs.

In the past two weeks, I have received 2 field approvals in return mail.

you do them correctly they get approved.

So, what did the two field approvals pertain too? What part of the plane?

I don't believe that is any of your business, What I do, or what aircraft I've submitted 337's on, is none of your business unless you are a one man work force trying to stop all field approvals.

Which L-5??? I gotta say that the L-5 is one of my all time favorite planes and is likely to remain so no matter what else I fly.

Ryan
www.lbirds.com

I'd have a hard time believing the engine was officially zero timed, unless it traveled to Poland and back, or has been pickled as such for over twenty years.

You will not have a hard time maintaining this engine. You WILL have a hard time maintaining this engine exclusively with new parts (instead of overhauled/used parts.)

There are thousands of these engines flying around every day in Maules, Stinsons, converted Cessnas and experimentals. They are still being overhauled, people are still finding parts for them when needed. There are parts rooms all over with plenty of used parts sitting, tagged, ready for sale. But some NEW parts are no longer being made, and some are having to produce them in the field.

Last edited:
I'd have a hard time believing the engine was officially zero timed, unless it traveled to Poland and back, or has been pickled as such for over twenty years.

You will not have a hard time maintaining this engine. You WILL have a hard time maintaining this engine exclusively with new parts (instead of overhauled/used parts.)

There are thousands of these engines flying around every day in Maules, Stinsons, converted Cessnas and experimentals. They are still being overhauled, people are still finding parts for them when needed. There are parts rooms all over with plenty of used parts sitting, tagged, ready for sale. But some NEW parts are no longer being made, and some are having to produce them in the field.

Hows your 165 flying? I see you have a new step. what's up with that?

Doing great. Generator stopped charging yesterday but I made it home on battery and that should be an easy fix of some sort, if I can find my way through the smoke to Fairbanks!

Right step was corroded. Need to do a better job of keeping paint on them. Already stripped, primed and repainted my left one :D

Back