Francis Gary Powers getting the Silver Star

steingar

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
steingar
For his loyalty during his two years of imprisonment and interrogation. The award will be given to his family posthumously. Story on CNN.

I read that and then looked up the wiki on him. Died in a helicopter crash when he ran out of fuel, was doing an auto that was survivable until he realized there were children nearby and had to change his landing location impromptu.

You don't hear much about him now, but when I was a kid he was still a famous hero.

Too little too late, IMHO. Conspiracy theories abound on the circumstances of his death.

Nothing wrong with flying traffic copters, but he seemed to have been black balled for no good reason from better positions in aviation from the unfair, and unwarranted criticism he received from the CIA, and the Administration prior to his name being cleared by the investigation.

Too little too late, IMHO. Conspiracy theories abound on the circumstances of his death.

Nothing wrong with flying traffic copters, but he seemed to have been black balled for no good reason from better positions in aviation from the unfair, and unwarranted criticism he received from the CIA, and the Administration prior to his name being cleared by the investigation.
+1

Bang on point. That was in keeping with the military's tried and true policy of screwing the lowest possible rank that can be associated with a policy screw-up or disaster brought on by command.

I always felt he was "black balled" because he didn't use his suicide device and avoid the public embarrassment and the forced trade for KGB spy Rudolph Abel.

In some bizarre twist I read an article where an American company is building reproduction Ford Cobra aluminum bodies at one of the same sites that he was trying to photograph when he was shot down.

The hard part of being an older veteran is seeing former enemies become friends, while we're still giving out medals for the same conflicts. The shirt I'm wearing today was made in Vietnam for example.

Perhaps it will at least offer his family some comfort.

Maybe I grew up watching too many John Wayne movies. "Forcing" an American involved in a mission for your country should not have the caveat of "commit suicide if captured" as a part of its requirements. Sorry, that just doesn't cut it with me, and I'd never ask someone to do that on my behalf.

Powers was the best of the best. You don't fly U-2's for the CIA/USAF on sensitive missions like that if you are not super qualified. He deserved much, much better. Its kind of a sad chapter in our history.

For his loyalty during his two years of imprisonment and interrogation. The award will be given to his family posthumously. Story on CNN.
Many many years ago a new girl transferred to my high School. Her last name was Powers. At one point I jokingly asked if she was related to Gary Powers. Her answer was, "actually he is my Uncle." Up that that point he was an idea in the news. Made him a real person with a real family...

Back