Fourth Lesson

georgewdean

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
George Dean
Well, I've been up for times now... LOVE IT!

Truly...

Its amazing how stable the airplane really is....

Stalls are fun.

I did some rectangular manuevers today practicing crabbing.... its amazing how much better it is to do than read about it. I intellectually understood but feeling it made it real. Very cool.

Question... we do NOT wear headsets in the Cherokee 140.... is this normal??

George

Awesome! Trust me - the feeling doesn't wear off.

If you plan on flying for the foreseeable future, invest in a quality ANR headset. I know this is opening up a can-o-worms in the aviation world (ANR or non-ANR headset), but having a comfortable quality headset this early in the ball game will make life more enjoyable in the future - both with flying comfort and with protecting your hearing for the future.

Getting at 800 feet to do manuevers though it kinda scary.... the margin is error is less... a little nerve racking but felt good too!

Getting at 800 feet to do manuevers though it kinda scary.... the margin is error is less... a little nerve racking but felt good too!

Technically you are supposed to be 1000 ft above the nearest "obstacle" within 2000 ft laterally unless you are in an "uncongested" area (which basically means farmland or unpopulated territory).

And WRT headsets, the noise level in a Cherokee is high enough to cause permanent hearing loss and it's much easier to hear and understand ATC communication with a good ANR headset. Does the plane have an intercom?

George, First the headsets. I absolutly suggest buying a good pair of ANR headsets. As Chris and Lance have said the noise in a cherokee is at such a freq that it really can cause hearing loss. Now if the Cherokee dosen't have an intercom system headsets are not going to do you much good so ask first. If it does have an intercom system then definitly get the headsets. Your instructor will have to wear his so you can communicate.

Don't let anyone tell you that you don't need them or pull that macho crap on you. Don't go deaf. I'm gonna put a plug in for a member here with an online pilot shop. Comander Dave who has Horizions Pilot shop. http://www.horizonspilotshop.com/Lightspeed-Zulu-Headset-Limited-Time-Offer-ls-zulu.htm

You don't have to get the zulus although they are an awesome price I'm sure he has other brands for less.

As for doing maunvers at 800' that seems somewhat low. I did mine at 3000' Keep up the hard work and updates

IIRC correctly you went with a graybeard instructor right? a good idea. but remember how you have to lean in close and raise your voice for him to hear you? yea, he probably hasn't been wearing headsets in the Cherokee for a long time...

His hearing is amazing in all honesty. Its not been an issue hearing each other. I was just kinda looking forward to using a headset (might seem dumb but its kinda like the throttle handle, I love pushing it forward).

I certainly want to buy the best headset when its time. There are something things you don't want to buy twice.

George

A headset, any headset, is worth getting- over time, the noise does damage.
If you still want to wait, at least get some decent noise-attenuating earplugs or "shock cups" (like headphones without any guts). With those, you'll still be able to hear, but a lot of the harmful frequencies will be cut down a bit. A cheap alternative that will protect your hearing and diminish fatigue.

His hearing is amazing in all honesty. Its not been an issue hearing each other. I was just kinda looking forward to using a headset (might seem dumb but its kinda like the throttle handle, I love pushing it forward).

I certainly want to buy the best headset when its time. There are something things you don't want to buy twice.

George

You'll want to buy headsets more than once. They get that much better. We've had 3 sets in the past 10 years.

George

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You're talking about flying stuff, right??

That's all you do is keep buying. It's an addiction!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

You're talking about flying stuff, right??

That's all you do is keep buying. It's an addiction!!!
Yeah. Headsets don't wear out. They just get moved back further to the rear seats or put aside for when the current set is out for repair.

A headset, any headset, is worth getting- over time, the noise does damage.
And the effect is cumulative. And the effect doesn't really show up for many years.

A bit of thread creep, but the Walkman Generation is going to keep the hearing aid folks in business when they get older.

Don't do that to yourself with aviation noise. If your plane doesn't have an intercom you can buy a portable intercom system from Sporty's or Sigtronics and many others. This expense won't be the most expensive aviation item you buy - and it is a hell of a lot cheaper than a fancy hearing aid.

-Skip

My father has been a pilot for 50 years (Air Force, airline, now GA), and is now nearly deaf in one ear. He insisted I have an ANR headset to protect my hearing. A good headset is important.

My father has been a pilot for 50 years (Air Force, airline, now GA), and is now nearly deaf in one ear. He insisted I have an ANR headset to protect my hearing. A good headset is important.
Welcome to PoA.

FWIW, I have it on good authority (from the president of a popular ANR headset manufacturer) that ANR generally doesn't offer better protection from hearing loss in a GA cockpit over a good passive headset. ANR does provide the ability to hear radio communication more clearly and reduces fatigue on long flights, both of which enhance safety enough to be a worthy justification for the expense of ANR.

Get a pair of Dave Clarks; they'll last forever.

My dad's been flying for about 30 years, and the set of Dave Clarks he uses today was his first pair.

FWIW, I have it on good authority (from the president of a popular ANR headset manufacturer) that ANR generally doesn't offer better protection from hearing loss in a GA cockpit over a good passive headset. ANR does provide the ability to hear radio communication more clearly and reduces fatigue on long flights, both of which enhance safety enough to be a worthy justification for the expense of ANR.

That's true- the bottom line is the actual attenuation. There are passive sets that attenuate as much as some of the cheaper ANR sets.

But- I'm thinking that my next headset will have ANR, because I finally tried one, in a Stearman, which was a good test.:D
The clarity was what did it for me. It was amazing! I could still hear everything- the lovely sounds of the engine, and the airflow over the rigging- but no wind blast, and definitely less low frequencies (which can also be harmful even though they do not seem annoying, usually). And when either one of us spoke, using a PTT intercom, the noise redutcion was very good- amazingly clear communication for an open-cockpit situation. Good mics make a difference in that situation, but even a good mic will get overwhelmed by wind blast... the ANR was a huge help.
I've used a passive setup in a biplane before, and this was way better. I believe they were Sennheisers, not sure which model.

Back