found out a friend is a pilot

mmilano

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Mike Milano
it's been an interesting week. i've found that a friend i hadn't really heard from for a little over six months is working on his commercial, ifr, and cfi ratings.

he invited me to go on a mock checkride with him and his cfi in a seneca out of van nuys. i jumped at the offer since i've never been in a twin or a low wing.

he shot a couple approaches, did steep turns, unusual attitude recoveries, etc .. and the coolest was that we landed on the infamous one six right. it was a pretty hazy day in the l.a. basin, so most of the pictures don't look great, but in this one you can make out the numbers on short final to one six right :)

I worked for a man for over a year before we found out each other were pilots. I dropped off my Maule at a local radio shop one morning for service. When they called to tell me it was ready, my boss took the message. Couldn't believe we never talked about it. Sure changed our relationship from that day forward.

Tell us about 16R being infamous, I missed that story. What happened?

i guess i should have said "soon to be somewhat famous" :) lol .. the dvd isn't out yet.

and yes, it's funny how something in common can change a relationship so much. especially when it's aviation.

A long time ago, I had a boss that was a real jerk. Noone seemed to like him. I even had issues with him. Then one day i found out he was taking lessons for his private. we talked all day long at work about flying after that. Turns out he was a pretty cool guy. funny how aviation works that way.

I was walking into the airport a few weeks ago when I saw a guy I used to do recording for. I hadn't seen him in about three years, because he and his wife had a kid and he got out the music biz (wizely). Turns out he's now a pilot and is studying for his IR. I always liked the guy--he had a great guitar tone and wrote some cool tunes. It's been pretty cool catching up with the guy.
One of these days we'll actually go flying.

Back