Found An Unexpected Crosswind

Wow, what a beautiful landscape over which to fly.

How many hours do you have?
Looked good to me. You were on top of the throttle making needed adjustments.
Looked like a consistent angle.

Hard to tell from the camera angle but I expected to see a bit more of a right rudder kick just prior to touching down.

I am no expert but I don't see anything out of the ordinary.
I ask about the hours because you are so on top of the throttle (ahead of the plane)
When I was very low hour, I tended to be a bit behind and drag it in a bit. You don't appear to have that issue at all.

Nice.

I guess what you meant was "Found An Unexpected missing Crosswind"

KHFD ought to have their automated weather equipment checked out because the water in the river and the pond at the end of the runway show dead calm conditions.

Hartford doesn't count. The runways are almost as wide as they are long. :D
Seriously, you did fine.:yes:
Did you notice the seagull at 2:05, while on final? It could have ruined the whole rest of your day.

Hey guys,

Was out flying in central Connecticut last week and had my first run in with a decent crosswind. Landing on RW02 wind was 300@15G24. Any feedback would be appreciated :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAfoeAFMgeg

"The envelope, please! Winner of Best Picture is.......itsjames2011."

Honestly, I believe that YouTube provides a ton of valuable (and free) information for pilots in training.

Bob Gardner

Hartford doesn't count. The runways are almost as wide as they are long. :D
Seriously, you did fine.:yes:
Did you notice the seagull at 2:05, while on final? It could have ruined the whole rest of your day.

oh. Re-watched. That seagull is lucky

dag gum yall have some good eyes, it took me for ever to see the seagull!! Since I have zero hours (I've done a discovery flight ;0) I don't have much to say about the landing

Could have used a bit more right rudder before touchdown, but it looked good to me.

I saw that sea gull, that was close, those are big birds. Nice landing.

dag gum yall have some good eyes, it took me for ever to see the seagull!! Since I have zero hours (I've done a discovery flight ;0) I don't have much to say about the landing

A discovery flight is not zero hours.

You'll learn to spot small things. It's amazing how much that can be trained.

I thought the approach looked great and great crab on final.

Discovery flight counts as time! Anytime with an instructor is time that can be counted.

Hey man that landing looked good!! I did notice the white blur coming at ya. I couldn't tell it was a seagull but I sure saw it.

Last edited:
Looked pretty good to me. Good crab angle, good speed, maybe kick in a little more right rudder just before touchdown.

Nice job though.:thumbsup:

I thought the landing looked great. But are you seriously telling us that this was shot LAST WEEK?? Up here in VT I don't think I've seen that much green on the trees in over a month. It looked more like August or early September to me. What was the temperature?

I thought the landing looked great. But are you seriously telling us that this was shot LAST WEEK?? Up here in VT I don't think I've seen that much green on the trees in over a month. It looked more like August or early September to me. What was the temperature?
No foolin it is like that. Just a short distance down here is far more 'tropical' then VTers realize. Wait until April(the cruelest month) you'll have snow or mud all the fields and woods will be too wet for walking and just 150 odd miles south we'll have flowers and dry ground. Not far to fly to experience some relief. Friends are flying West Rutland this weekend, they know not(or have forgotten) what Nov is like up there.:D

I think they were both lucky. A seagull can make quite the hole in a small plane.

I think you guys are seriously underestimating the cognizant awareness of a Seagull. They're a bit smarter than a Possum, whose trail will lead you straight to the nearest spot where you can get run over by a car.

It didn't look like the seagull was correcting for crosswind.

...if you didn't have to call your A&P to come out and un-bend something, it was a great landing. :)

Nice job.

Looked good to me, nice landing!

That seagull scared the **** out of me as it was the first time I've encountered a bird up close while flying. Was prepared to try and evade if need be. :)

As far as when the video was shot it was 10-25-14 so about a week and a half ago. Was a nice warm day.

I was looking at the water on the way in and noticed it seemed rather still but you'll notice the crab angle require down final. It was definitely moving from a hundred feet upwards :)

No foolin it is like that. Just a short distance down here is far more 'tropical' then VTers realize. Wait until April(the cruelest month) you'll have snow or mud all the fields and woods will be too wet for walking and just 150 odd miles south we'll have flowers and dry ground. Not far to fly to experience some relief. Friends are flying West Rutland this weekend, they know not(or have forgotten) what Nov is like up there.:D
Well that's an eye-opener! Hartford is the same latitude as, what? Findlay, OH? Maybe Lima? Even Columbus isn't that verdant around Halloween. Though I have to admit, it was still late summer at Block Island when I was there end of September, people getting sunburned on the beach, etc. I've been to Nashua a few times, most recently last week in October, and fall was pretty much winding down there.

Edit: James mentioned that this was October 25, so more like two weeks ago... guess I missed that. It's still quite "tropical", as you say. Must be the effect of the ocean holding onto the warmth.

Last edited:
Pictures from this morning's dog walk. About seven air miles from Mansfield. When cabin fever gets you relief isn't that far away.

Attachments

• IMG_20141108_104226156_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20141108_104226156_HDR.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20141108_104041886.jpg
    IMG_20141108_104041886.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20141108_103926369_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20141108_103926369_HDR.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
Pictures from this morning's dog walk. About seven air miles from Mansfield. When cabin fever gets you relief isn't that far away.
Took a friend of mine up for his first flight in a light airplane today, 7B2 to KASH. I did notice the fall seems to progress faster up that way. Visibility was near unrestricted and winds aloft we're in the low 30s but it was the smoothest ride I've had in weeks.

Took a friend of mine up for his first flight in a light airplane today, 7B2 to KASH. I did notice the fall seems to progress faster up that way. Visibility was near unrestricted and winds aloft we're in the low 30s but it was the smoothest ride I've had in weeks.
Sweet. Heard there was soarable thermic lift around the corner of ny, ct, and ma today for a few hours. Pretty late in the year for that, glad you had a nice flight.

Very pretty. I should have taken pictures from my morning hike. We had a dusting last night, the summits are now snow-covered, and there's about a half inch on the hills around Northfield above 1500 feet or so.

Looked good to me.

Was it the video or did the nose wheel shimmy a bit?

Back