Forward slipping with flaps down - low wing

Standard IAD "keep the speed up approach" in the 172N: Full throttle to edge of the runway. Close throttle, slip hard. Drop 10 degrees at 110 kts , full flaps at 85. Touch down and make the first turnoff.

Same approach in the Navion, At the end of the runway, close the throttle, nose up and drop the gear and full flaps at 87 Knots, pitch over. One time I did that at night on 12 (where the threshold is something like 3 miles from the tower). The tower was watching me on the brite doing 160kts and then when my gear came out it appeared that I was moving vertically. I got a "What kind of aircraft is that?" They weren't even going to commit to it being a plane. I found out subsequently that the controllers class B popups were often entered by the approach controllers with a single letter for aircraft type. While C for Cessna is pretty obvious, they would often call my Navion a Navaho.

I said what I meant and I mean what I said. Maybe you guys find it important or entertaining to do full flap slips. I don't. If you have a problem with that? Deal with it.

Like Nosehair suggested, if you ever found yourself deadstick and needing to stuff it into a critically tight spot with no other options and still think you'll never have a use for any slip at all regardless of conditions, then you're either deluded or supernaturally endowed by god hisself. From your tone, I think I know which you'll say. ;)

BRTky.jpg

Last edited:
That I know how to slip? I notice that you like to flame folks without offering anything of substance yourself.

My answer remains the same.

Last edited:
You basically said that you could not imagine ever having use for a slip even in an emergency out situation, because you're just that good. What sort of substance do you want from me? An admission that I'm not that arrogant about my flying ability? OK done: I'm not good enough to make 'never need' statements like this.

I didn't say anything about an emergency.

No? Your post #35 was in response to #33. Re-read. If you still stand by this, then I stand by my 'flaming'. If you don't, then I retract.

Well, #33 was picking on my #28. And I still mean what I said. Post #33 was the first I saw of emergency procedures and he took exception to my non-emergency post #28. I seriously doubt I'll have a magic short strip appear under me where I normally fly. To this day I still pick my next best crash spot as I fly along and the last one falls behind me. With God's grace I'll miss the water. That's the most I can hope for.

Well, #33 was picking on my #28. And I still mean what I said. Post #33 was the first I saw of emergency procedures and he took exception to my non-emergency post #28.

Nope, in #33 he simply qualified your #28 statement in the context of a question about emergencies to which you dismissed, and still seem to. Oh well, this is pointless. Carry on.

Good slipping skills are necessary for most any landing in gust crosswinds.
During short final just prior to and during the flare, slipping back into a realignment with the runway without getting crabbed
Coming over a high obstacle at the approach end of a short field.
It isn't just to correct for being too high by misjudgement.
If you fly outside of the CITY of Anchorage, you know that.

Back