Fort Worth, TX Airport?

Pa28-140

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Gordon Shumway
Hi folks. I checked the archives but couldn't find anything, so I'll throw my question out. I'm going to Fort Worth, Texas in a couple of weeks and will be staying in the Sundance area. Where is a good, friendly, and cost effective airport to fly into? Not flying any big iron, just my little Cherokee 140. Thanks for any advice.

Meacham is most convenient to the downtown area, and has big city FBOs with all the usual big city FBO amenities like rental cars, etc, but has big city prices too. Spinks Airport on the southeast side of FW has a little better fuel prices, and a full-service FBO too. Hicks Field on the northwest part of the city is a small, general aviation airport with lots of "grass roots" type of small aircraft activity and cheap fuel, but the ramp parking situation is bleak... usually no tiedown spaces are available for overnight parking since lots of airplanes there have no hangars, and are tied down outside in rented parking spaces, and they're always full. Alliance Airport on the far northeast side of FW is primarily a commercial/industrial ops type of airport. There is a GA FBO there, but prices are as steep as Meacham and you might get the cold shoulder there pulling up in anything with fewer than two engines, or that cost less than $200K.

Several choices and I'm sure some locals will chime in. It's like any bigger city, the closer in airports will be more expensive but more convenient. Certainly, Meacham will have rental cars, deals on hotel rates, etc. Northwestern 52F would be more affordable but I don't see an FBO there. I understand one can call to get a rental car, but I don't know how. Alliance and Hicks are also to the Northwest and would be worth a check.

Dave

A little further out but there is Arlington Municipal and Harrison Aviation, FBO. I will be flying in there in a couple of weeks. I have business in Dallas and Fort Worth and it provides the best access for where I am going.

Texas Jet at meacham will treat you right. Harrison at spinks is pretty good, too. I would probably go for meacham. Alliance is another option.

Tx Jet at meacham is great. I avoid Harrison Aviation like the plague. (at spinks but mostly at Arlington) horrible service, outrageous fuel prices, and a general arrogant attitude like "you're welcome we're here for you, now buy our $7 gas and pay this other ramp fee too"
except for the line guys, they're pretty friendly and good.

anyway, FTW is good AFW is good, GPM is good, but maybe too far. Really You should go to FTW. TX Jet is great, and I dont think the fees are that much, but you should call ahead.

Update: Since Fort Worth Meachum is only a short taxi ride from my destination, I called Texas Jet for info. I almost felt like I should apologize for flying a Cherokee 140. Jessica couldn't have been nicer and assured me that they would not use my airplane as a wheel chock for the jets. Ramp and overnight fees waived with a fuel purchase ($$$). Couldn't have been nicer. Even offered to hangar my airplane for $30 per night (very reasonable). I'll make sure to post my experience here and on Airnav. Thanks to all for the input.

Gordon,

Welcome to Foat Wurth! I expect that Jessica is just another example of our Southern Hospitality. You will enjoy Sundance Square. Make sure you go through the Art Exhibits. There are some really nice Remingtons there.

You might enjoy the Stockyards area while you're in town as well.

I lived in Tarrant County for 11 years, but grew up in Dallas County. I think that generally speaking, Fort Worth has more of a small, friendly city atmosphere than Dallas and there is more to see there. I hope no Dallasites on here are offended by that comment. There are lots of great people in Dallas as well.

BTW, did you check runway length at Meacham? You need to make sure there's enough runway for a Cherokee!:D

Enjoy your trip!

...I think that generally speaking, Fort Worth has more of a small, friendly city atmosphere than Dallas and there is more to see there.

:) I spent the best three years of my life living just north of ADS, and I'll forever love the city of Dallas. That said, Fort Worth is something very special - a big city that really has managed to hold onto a true "small-town" feel.

When I've gone into Meacham before I used sandpiper - think that was the name- anyway, they were quite nice and when I had a mechanical problem they found a Mx who could help etc. Have no idea how they compare to the jet center... I try not to go to jet centers just because of what the name implies... And to me sandpiper sounded friendly - especially having grown up on Galveston island.

Have a good trip. You'll like FTW

I try not to go to jet centers just because of what the name implies... And to me sandpiper sounded friendly - especially having grown up on Galveston island.

Have a good trip. You'll like FTW

I wouldn't let the name dissuade you. Things change for these folk just like for us. Donaldson Jet Center in Greenville, SC has been fantastic for me. At one time they had a jet fleet using the place, but not so now. I've become a regular and they've worked with me on fuel prices and hanger space when I visit and they've been very nice. It may be worth looking past the name in some cases.

Best,

DAve

Yes, thanks Dave, I will make a point to keep that in mind. It was long ago when I was a new PP and a little intimidated flying into Ft. Worth at all in the 152.

Back