Fort Worth ARTCC Tour - Fascinating!

Volitation

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Volitation
Took a tour of the Ft. Worth (ZFW) ARTCC this afternoon through the FAAST Operation Raincheck Program - the tl/dr version is if you get a chance, go!

There were 24 of us, and the 3 controllers conducting the tour. Our hosts were wonderful, all 3 were GA Pilots, with a passion for aviation, their jobs, and sharing what they do.

The presentation started with an overview of the system, how traffic flows in, out and around the DFW Bravo, etc. We then split into smaller groups and went down to the control floor. One stop was the Weather section, with meteorologist on duty explaining what they did, tools they used, and how their forecasts are shared with the controllers, carriers and other users and applied to the traffic patterns. Next stop was the Traffic Management Unit. These guys analyze and manage the overall flow in and out of DFW, in the air and on the ground. It was fascinating, for example, how they might reroute fights around a weather system to avoid overloading sectors while trying to minimize delays.

The third stop, and highlight, was getting to spend about twenty minutes sitting with an on duty controller, listening in as he worked the flights in his sector, and getting to ask him questions as traffic allowed. My guy’s area was east of DFW, so he was catching east-west DFW Traffic, as well as NE/SW traffic for Houston. Even on a slow Saturday afternoon it was amazing watching him manage the three dimensional puzzle of a couple of dozen flights! I can’t imagaine the busy days, when he might have 3 or 4 times as many.

We finished up with a Q and A, and a couple of videos showing conflicts caused by unpredictable VFR flights not using Flight Following. The take away, and they sincerely stressed this, is they WANT us to use FF, every flight, because it makes their job easier!

I highly recommend you going if you have the opportunity. These guys and gals do a phenomenal job, and I came away with a real appreciation of what they do for us!

had the same tour at Chicago Center a few years back. was very similar to yours. those center controllers as well as those at the TRACON (snagged a tour there as well) are awesome.

That is a really good experience.

When @Ravioli's co-pilot and I went we were lucky enough to 'ride along' on controller stations for the sectors I fly most (West side of the DFW Bravo into Meacham and Hicks)

I highly recommend everyone find time for one of these tours.

Also, for the towered airport guys... ask for a tower visit. I secretly think they like showing off their toys as much as we like showing off ours :)

We did a tour at DTW - it was very fascinating.

I wanted to go to that event but it was the wife's birthday today. I didn't think it was physically possible but I like her just barely more than airplanes.

SoCal does regularly scheduled organized tours as well...very much worth doing if you can!

Back in '04 I was part of a group that got a tour of ZAB. Found it very interesting and informative.

A group of us went on a tour of the NY TRACON last summer - had a very similar tour itinerary (briefing / video showing traffic patterns first), then a tour of the control floor. Got to see the various sectors for EWR, JFK, LGA, and the satellite airports, as well as the central desk where the infamous "ATC Traffic Management Program" is managed from for the sector (in coordination with the ATC Command Center).

The most eye opening part of the tour though was what was missing - the controllers. ZNY is barely above 50% staffing, and no end in sight to the shortage. Controllers there regularly work 6 day weeks / 10 hour shifts. Not too surprising that the washout rate there is very high (80% IIRC).

Back