Fort Collins/Denver People - need advice

SkyHog

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Everything Offends Me
OK - its a while away, but my friend that I'm meeting (the one that goes to CSU) says that the UNM-CSU Basketball game is not gonna be in Fort Collins, but rather in the Pepsi Center.

I will probably fly us down to Denver to see the game, rather than drive (because flying is more fun, and quicker). Which airport would be closest to the Pepsi Center, and which one should I choose to expect to be cleared to land?

The Pepsi Center is within a mile of being half-way between Jeffco (BJC) and Centennial (APA) at about 17 miles from either, with BJC being on the north and closer to Fort Collins. Driving to the Pepsi center is relatively easy from either one, trafiic and construction notwithstanding. Both are towered Class D under Denver's Class B airspace (actually, BJC is just outside to the west, but from Ft. Collins, you will fly under the 10k shelf of Denver's B, unless you swing west and then back east. There is a VFR corridor Southbound at 8500' over BJC and one Northbound at 7500' over Sante Fe and I-25 for access to and from APA, or contact Denver Approach for clearance.
Just an FYI, APA is rated as the second busiest airport without airline service in the nation, and 25th busiest airport overall. My personal preference would be BJC.

Greg nailed it. APA or BJC are both convenient. I am based at FTG, but that is a little more of a drive, although the do have rental cars now and as of 8/1/05 a towered Class D.

I live near APA, so I am more familiar with that airport. Its a fine facility and if you go there Tac Air is the FBO to use. Good fuel prices and good service from what I hear. If you need anything while you're here, let me know.

thanks guys. Are there any crazy landing fees at either? And I suppose landing at KDEN is out of the question?

SkyHog said:
thanks guys. Are there any crazy landing fees at either? And I suppose landing at KDEN is out of the question?

No and yes. There are no landing fees at APA and BJC. Don't even consider DEN. Too far out, and fees out the wazoo.

Anthony said:
No and yes. There are no landing fees at APA and BJC. Don't even consider DEN. Too far out, and fees out the wazoo.

Cool. Thanks for the help, everyone.

One final question: Night flying: I assume its ok just to stay east of the rockies all the way up....is there anything else I should know?

SkyHog said:
Cool. Thanks for the help, everyone.

One final question: Night flying: I assume its ok just to stay east of the rockies all the way up....is there anything else I should know?

Nothing beyond the normal night flying issues. Beware of terrain, even east of the Rockies. There is a gradual rise between Colorado Springs an Denver. I usually go at 9,500 or higher. Oh yeah, Gremlins too. :)

I think the information you've gotten here is right on, Nick. BJC has the potential to be windier than APA because of it's location, and APA had the potential to be busy, although it's certainly not unmanageable, not to mention that it's my home. Both airports are nice facilities and pretty much equal in distance from the Pepsi Center.

FYI, the area east of the Front Range is not exactly flat, in fact the Palmer Divide is an area of higher ground with some small mesas between Colorado Springs and Denver, so give it some altitude if you're coming at night.

thanks guys. The night flying will just be from Jeffco (probably) back to 3V5 after the game. It looks relatively flat, but I'll be high, hell, I always fly high out here. Normal cruise is either 8500, 9500 or 10500. I'm sure I'll be fine.

btw, I forgot. I fell in love with a place called "Hu Hot" in Fort Collins. Anyone feel like joining me for lunch while I'm there, is more than welcome. It'll be sometime midweek 2nd week of feb.

Last edited:
SkyHog said:
thanks guys. The night flying will just be from Jeffco (probably) back to 3V5 after the game. It looks relatively flat, but I'll be high, hell, I always fly high out here. Normal cruise is either 8500, 9500 or 10500. I'm sure I'll be fine.
BJC to 3V5 is relatively flat - no ground clearance issues for night flight... except the radio towers slightly east of Erie (48V) at 6165' (985' AGL). You need to watch Denver B space - western-most segment's floor is 10,000' but your route can get you close to the next segment east with a floor of 8,000'. From APA, the northbound VFR corridor is 7500'.

Back