Fort Collins, CO Baron crash

Really sad. Current discussion has it as an engine problem on take off and the resulting text book Vmc rollover or stall. He hit about even with the departure end of the runway a few hundred yards off.

Not sure how it will affect the sale. I know the other sharehold would have like a chance to buy him out but he didn't offer one. I think it was a contract to purchase with a indefinate time to close and funding contingencies. Thanks all second and third hand stuff. I think there is still a chance maybe better now that Clair and his personal feeling are out of the picture. I am hoping. No hangers are appearing at Fort-Love. I hear the land lease requirements are such that investors are shy. 10 year reversion to airport authority?

Eric

Re: Fort Collins, CO Hangars - thread creep

ejensen said:
No hangers are appearing at Fort-Love. I hear the land lease requirements are such that investors are shy. 10 year reversion to airport authority?

Eric

It's probably a something for another thread, but a reversion to the airport authority is not uncommon. 10 years is a little short - 15 to 20 is more common, but do-able depending on the rest of the terms. At one airport I know of the hangars reverted with a 20+ year right to the ground lease at the end. That made the deal much like a co-op deal where you could resell your right to lease. At the moment, there are 17 years left on the $200/mo ground lease, and if you want to sell your "right to lease" you can get about $28-$30K for it. Not really a bad deal since hangars at a nearby airport w/instrument approach are going for about $325/mo.

Hangar reversion - thread creep

wsuffa said:
It's probably a something for another thread, but a reversion to the airport authority is not uncommon. 10 years is a little short - 15 to 20 is more common, but do-able depending on the rest of the terms. At one airport I know of the hangars reverted with a 20+ year right to the ground lease at the end. That made the deal much like a co-op deal where you could resell your right to lease. At the moment, there are 17 years left on the $200/mo ground lease, and if you want to sell your "right to lease" you can get about $28-$30K for it. Not really a bad deal since hangars at a nearby airport w/instrument approach are going for about $325/mo.

I hear it is common although term must be more palatable like you example. The comments I heard are that the requirements at FNL force the necessary rent up so high that investors aren't interested. Things like you mention make it more of a two way street. Again most of what I hear is rumor but there are 60+ planes needing a home and no one is rushing to break ground. Next closest airport is 30 additional miles

Eric,

What's going on up near you??? Yesterday there was a Lance (or maybe Saratoga) crash at Jeffco. The pilot got out and is in pretty good shape from what I hear, thankfully. Of course the local news channel talking head had to re-count every airplane crash in Colorado history, noting, very gravely, there has been 11 airplane crashes this year in Colorado. Yeah? And how many fatal car crashes?

Radio dj this morning (I'm sure reading the newspaper story) seriously intoned "and this plane had a history of problems". TV news last night said that it had an "engine failure and rough landing with substantial damage about 4 years ago".

I'm SURE that's it, the damage 4 years ago MUST have contributed to the accident yesterday... give me a break!!!

Darn it - reply put this in the wrong place in the thread - the above comments were in response to the Piper crash at BJC yesterday, not the Beech crash at 3V5.

Last edited:
Isn't Joffco close to you:)

I had the same reaction reading the Rocky Mountain News. They listed all accident too. I don't mind the sidebars if they are related. But as you say, do they list all the car crashes for each new one. I think I'll write a note.

Eric

Re: BJC Lance crash

gkainz said:
Radio dj this morning (I'm sure reading the newspaper story) seriously intoned "and this plane had a history of problems". TV news last night said that it had an "engine failure and rough landing with substantial damage about 4 years ago".

I'm SURE that's it, the damage 4 years ago MUST have contributed to the accident yesterday... give me a break!!!

Darn it - reply put this in the wrong place in the thread - the above comments were in response to the Piper crash at BJC yesterday, not the Beech crash at 3V5.

From what I heard he might have blown a tire. Not much info. Amazing he isn't hurt worse.

Eric

ejensen said:
Isn't Joffco close to you:)

I had the same reaction reading the Rocky Mountain News. They listed all accident too. I don't mind the sidebars if they are related. But as you say, do they list all the car crashes for each new one. I think I'll write a note.

Eric

If we could just get these prolific but erroneous and sensationalized news reports over with the fictitious/erroneous aircraft sounds in the movies -where they belong- it could help Hollywood & quit hurting our public image so much.

Re: BJC Lance crash; was Fort Collins, CO Baron crash

Well, I just read the Rocky Mountain News tonight and it confirms a suspicion I had. The plane was a Piper Lance, owned by Ten Hi Flying club. I flew that plane last year when I was checking out Ten Hi as a possible member. My neighbor belongs to the club - I'll have to find out what he knows. Sorta gives a guy the willies seeing the burned out hulk, having flown it.

Last edited:
Back