Former President Obama's TFR

nddons

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Stan
This is not for the SZ, just a question about the future.

When President Obama becomes former President Obama in 2 or 6 years, and he returns to reside in Chicago, would the former president's TFR affect the lake Michigan VFR route past Chicago?

Just wondering.

I would guess that judging by the size of the TFR for President Bush, probably not.

small_9_2934.gif

http://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_9_2934.html

Aahhhhh, crap. Good point, Stan...

Mari, he's awfully close to the lake.

I used the size of Bush's current TFR (1nm/1500AGL) and the location of the center of one of Obama's presidential TFR's, and plotted it on RunwayFinder. Came up with this:

attachment.php

So, it won't be as simple as "just stay off shore" any more.

The good news is, as small as those TFR's are, you can go around it and remain within gliding distance of shore, or you can go over it. 1500 AGL there would be around 2100 MSL (the lake is 580 MSL, KMDW is 620), so somewhere between 2200 and 3500... I'd probably stay between 2500 and 3000 just to be extra-safe.

Still, yet another thing to watch out for!

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-05-06 at 1.53.51 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-05-06 at 1.53.51 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 118
Another note: I thought it looked like the TFR was centered in the water... That's odd! So, I put the coordinates (414714N/0873421W) into Google Maps, and... It *IS* centered in the water. :dunno:

and i cant be sure, but i think the ex presidential TFRs only linger around for 5 yrs after their presidency. I guess we'll find out next year when Bush's would expire if it is a 5 year rule.
but they did so much to his ranch in crawford, that place can run an world war. i wonder if that'll be unrestricted completely or maybe just shrink the size of the R or TFR.

His house in Chicago has been up for sale for several months. I doubt he is moving back here. Bush seems to have abandoned his ranch in Crawford in favor of a house in Dallas, Clinton left AR to move to NY, Bush 1 stayed with the Maine compound instead of back to Texas where he had been a representative, etc. IOW I would not worry about the lake front of Chicago being affected until there is something for sure to indicate that Obama is moving back. Remember he is not really from Chicago to begin with. His roots are elsewhere.

Last edited:
We need to check that a 3(?) mile TFR on Obama's house ABSOLUTELY DOES NOT also cover Daley's condo in Printer's Row. Being close is one reason why he dug up Meigs.

I've had dream recently where 10,000 planes fly over repeatedly and drop tennis and ping-pong balls in Daley's courtyard until they're knee deep.

His house in Chicago has been up for sale for several months. I doubt he is moving back here.

Yeah, wasn't there some "scandal" or something about some other property he owned and was planning to build on? I think it was still in the greater Chicago area, but not at the lakefront. :dunno:

Yeah, wasn't there some "scandal" or something about some other property he owned and was planning to build on? I think it was still in the greater Chicago area, but not at the lakefront. :dunno:

Tony Rezko bought the empty lot next to Obama's house and sold it to Obama for peanuts. Not that he expected anything in return.

Back