Formation Flying and Air-to-Air with Jack Fleetwood

Very cool, Jack! What would be great is if it showed both the photographer and the subject as the conversation takes place during the shoot.

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Very cool, Jack! What would be great is if it showed both the photographer and the subject as the conversation takes place during the shoot.

:thumbsup:
Yeah, we're talking about doing something like that in the near future. I've got a GoPro, just got to get used to using it!

A month ago I had the pleasure of having my 172 photographed by Jack at Sedona, Arizona.

Jack did an excellent job of briefing the mission before we took off, and of coaching me during the flight. I was inexperienced in formation flying, and tended to keep a fairly conservative distance (probably frustrating for Jack).

Several times during the flight Jack's airplane was right in the rising sun from my perspective, so I had to rely on his direction.

And there was a weird optical illusion. I could only see Jack's back-lit airplane in silhouette, and for a moment my brain was telling me Jack's 182 was facing at a 90-degree angle to the left of my heading, slightly nose-down and in a left bank. I knew it wasn't true, that in fact Jack was on the same heading as me, but it was a curiously hard illusion to shake.

upload_2019-12-8_18-4-10.jpeg

I had a GoPro running during the flight, attached to the inside of the windshield. I didn't have it wired into the radio, but you can hear Jack's transmissions over the cabin speaker. The video starts with the pre-dawn landing at Sedona to meet up with Jack and with @Rgbeard, whose gorgeous Turbo Lance was also being photographed that day.

Jack, thanks again for a wonderful flying experience and great photos!

Last edited:
Several times during the flight Jack's airplane was right in the rising sun from my perspective, so I had to rely on his direction.

And there was a weird optical illusion. I could only see Jack's back-lit airplane in silhouette, and for a moment my brain was telling me Jack's 182 was facing at a 90-degree angle to the left of my heading, slightly nose-down and in a left bank. I knew it wasn't true, that in fact Jack was on the same heading as me, but it was a curiously hard illusion to shake.
Jeff, I had exactly the same illusion (that Jack was on a 90°collision heading to me), but my common sense and the fact that we didn't seem to be closing told me we were on the same heading. Looking at Jack's silhouetted 182, it sure wasn't obvious though and it spooked me a couple of times.

Jack, as Jeff says, thanks for an awesome flying experience.

Lots of favorites, but this one over SEZ was numero uno:
3989cr1k_zpschmygwrn.jpg

A month ago I had the pleasure of having my 172 photographed by Jack at Sedona, Arizona.

Nice video. Quick question: Are you left handed? Reason I ask is that I've noticed when I watch other pilots land that the "righties" tend to land a scootch left of center line (still centered basically though) and yours were centered but a scootch right (might just be paralax and camera angle though).

Nice video. Quick question: Are you left handed? Reason I ask is that I've noticed when I watch other pilots land that the "righties" tend to land a scootch left of center line (still centered basically though) and yours were centered but a scootch right (might just be paralax and camera angle though).
No, right-handed ... and directionally undisciplined. :D

Back