Form 337

N53KL

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Kevin
Anyone know when a 337 is issued, other than the aircraft operator, who has to keep a copy of the 337?

Anyone know when a 337 is issued, other than the aircraft operator, who has to keep a copy of the 337?

http://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_43.9-1F.pdf

91.417 Maintenance records.

(a) Except for work performed in accordance with §§ 91.411 and 91.413, each registered owner or operator shall keep the following records for the periods specified in paragraph (b) of this section:
(1) Records of the maintenance, preventive maintenance, and alteration and records of the 100-hour, annual, progressive, and other required or approved inspections, as appropriate, for each aircraft (including the airframe) and each engine, propeller, rotor, and appliance of an aircraft. The records must include—
(i) A description (or reference to data acceptable to the Administrator) of the work performed; and
(ii) The date of completion of the work performed; and
(iii) The signature, and certificate number of the person approving the aircraft for return to service.
(2) Records containing the following information:
(i) The total time in service of the airframe, each engine, each propeller, and each rotor.
(ii) The current status of life-limited parts of each airframe, engine, propeller, rotor, and appliance.
(iii) The time since last overhaul of all items installed on the aircraft which are required to be overhauled on a specified time basis.
(iv) The current inspection status of the aircraft, including the time since the last inspection required by the inspection program under which the aircraft and its appliances are maintained.
(v) The current status of applicable airworthiness directives (AD) and safety directives including, for each, the method of compliance, the AD or safety directive number and revision date. If the AD or safety directive involves recurring action, the time and date when the next action is required.
(vi) Copies of the forms prescribed by § 43.9(d) of this chapter for each major alteration to the airframe and currently installed engines, rotors, propellers, and appliances.
(b) The owner or operator shall retain the following records for the periods prescribed:
(1) The records specified in paragraph (a)(1) of this section shall be retained until the work is repeated or superseded by other work or for 1 year after the work is performed.
(2) The records specified in paragraph (a)(2) of this section shall be retained and transferred with the aircraft at the time the aircraft is sold.
(3) A list of defects furnished to a registered owner or operator under § 43.11 of this chapter shall be retained until the defects are repaired and the aircraft is approved for return to service.
(c) The owner or operator shall make all maintenance records required to be kept by this section available for inspection by the Administrator or any authorized representative of the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB ). In addition, the owner or operator shall present Form 337 described in paragraph (d) of this section for inspection upon request of any law enforcement officer.
(d) When a fuel tank is installed within the passenger compartment or a baggage compartment pursuant to part 43 of this chapter, a copy of FAA Form 337 shall be kept on board the modified aircraft by the owner or operator.

Appendix B of 43 is more on topic

(1) Execute FAA Form 337 at least in duplicate;

(2) Give a signed copy of that form to the aircraft owner; and

(3) Forward a copy of that form to the FAA Aircraft Registration Branch in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, within 48 hours after the aircraft, airframe, aircraft engine, propeller, or appliance is approved for return to service.

SNIP

(d) For extended-range fuel tanks installed within the passenger compartment or a baggage compartment, the person who performs the work and the person authorized to approve the work by §43.7 shall execute an FAA Form 337 in at least triplicate. A completed copy of that form shall be—

(1) Placed on board the aircraft as specified in §91.417 of this chapter;

(2) Given to the aircraft owner; and

(3) Forwarded to the Federal Aviation Administration, Aircraft Registration Branch, AFS-751, Post Office Box 25724, Oklahoma City, OK 73125, within 48 hours after the work is inspected.

Rules and regs not withstanding, don't be surprised when the MX files in the airplane records and those on the FAA records don't match up. Each file may contain records that are absent or missing from the other.

Thanks all.

I seem to be missing a couple of 337s. I have ordered a copy of any documents the FAA has on file. If they aren't included, I will have to go to plan "b".

Regards,

Kevin

Thanks all.

I seem to be missing a couple of 337s. I have ordered a copy of any documents the FAA has on file. If they aren't included, I will have to go to plan "b".

Regards,

Kevin
And Plan "B" is ?

"Inspected XXXX prev installed by persons unknown and found to be airworthy"

Or similar.

"Inspected XXXX prev installed by persons unknown and found to be airworthy"
Or similar.

Fine and dandy, but when it is an STC and they do not have the accompanying paper work ?

what then.?

Fine and dandy, but when it is an STC and they do not have the accompanying paper work ?

what then.?

Good question.
When dealing with older airplanes, you'll run into things that are logged but no paperwork filed with FAA. When there should be a 337, and/or STC paperwork. And have been that way for 30+ years.

If possible, contact the holder of the STC to determine the details of issuance.

what then.?

Thanks for the replies.

I have received the FAA documents and find that none of the three 337's are registered. Two of them were issued by a now defunct maintenance org so that option is no option.

I guess my question now is....Let's say you have a Tannis heater installed and you have no way to contact the installer. How does one get valid 337 form submitted to the FAA??

Kevin

Thanks for the replies.

I have received the FAA documents and find that none of the three 337's are registered. Two of them were issued by a now defunct maintenance org so that option is no option.

I guess my question now is....Let's say you have a Tannis heater installed and you have no way to contact the installer. How does one get valid 337 form submitted to the FAA??

Kevin
Ask any A&P to submit the 337 to any IA for approval as a late entry.

Do you have a copy of the STC ? if you do, it should be easy, just do the paper work.

Have you located the log entry?

Thanks Tom,

Wayne,

I find all log book entries but a lack the 337's. Sounds like this will be an easy process to get my records in order.

I really appreciate all who have contributed their views and suggestions.

Kevin

Update.

I now have all the 337's in order. As others have suggested, it was a painless exercise.

Thanks all!

Kevin

I had stuff in the fiche (later CDROM) for my aircraft that were clearly misscans (missing one side of documents that the other side was present), etc... In the 60 year history I've got tons of 337's for my plane. Several major rebuilds. Autopilots added at least twice and removed once. Countless STCs, etc...

Question: Do you need to keep 337s for equipment that has since been removed and/or replaced? I know you need it for the new replacement but how about the piece that is gone?

I would think it best to have all. But that said, it would depend on what was installed with a 337 filed, and later removed.

Let's say your airplane rolled off the assembly line with a Narco "Super homer", and was later upgraded to dual KX155 and a KMA24. (337 filed), then later upgraded to a GNS530 and a GNS430, with latest and greatest PS audio panel with CD, (another 337) Are you required to keep the mk11-155 337? I dunno, probably not. But can't hurt to hang on to it.

Question: Do you need to keep 337s for equipment that has since been removed and/or replaced? I know you need it for the new replacement but how about the piece that is gone?

No, you can discard. But there needs to be a log entry stating the old equipment was removed and the new equipment installed.

Back