Forgot to report Doctor visit - 1st Class

FLAfisherman

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
FLAfisherman
I have a HIMs special issuance that includes chiari malformation which was corrected with surgery in 2002. I also had spinal fusion in 2008 but the FAA chose not to include that in my SI. For my last medical in November, I forgot to include an orthopedic appointment in September that was for a pinched nerve from sleeping on my arm. The Ortho doc wasn’t concerned and it went away quickly after changing my sleeping position and massaging my shoulder after workouts. He said it was unrelated to my Chiari, but chose to have an MRI done and a nerve study in September “just in case”. Fast forward to December, for my follow up appointment I was referred to a neuro surgeon for MRI results for something that MAY be bad or MAY be residual from past surgeries (notes were given by radiologist and Ortho was unfamiliar with that stuff). Of course I need to disclose this to my AME, especially if surgery is required. My concern is that I will get in trouble for forgetting to disclose the initial appointment that was only for a pinched nerve. At the time per 61.53 I didn’t need to self ground and my medical states I only need to self ground new symptoms or treatment related to Chiari. The MRI I had even states “Chiari Malformation not present,” so the issue I’m having now is unrelated. Thanks for any input, a little stressed out over here.

Was anything found on the September MRI and nerve study? Is the neuro referral related? If not, and you honestly just forgot a visit where nothing was found or diagnosed, and you just had pain from sleeping funny, that doesn't seem like a big deal. It was unintentional, and more importantly, immaterial. It's also easily solvable if you fill out a new Medxpress and get another exam. Before I did that though, I would call my AME and ask what he thought.

Was anything found on the September MRI and nerve study? Is the neuro referral related? If not, and you honestly just forgot a visit where nothing was found or diagnosed, and you just had pain from sleeping funny, that doesn't seem like a big deal. It was unintentional, and more importantly, immaterial. It's also easily solvable if you fill out a new Medxpress and get another exam. Before I did that though, I would call my AME and ask what he thought.

Thanks for your response. There was some concerning stuff found on the MRI (possible myelomalasia) which led the ortho doc to request I make an appointment with a neuro doc on 12/27. I know that this make cause me to be grounded for a while IF confirmed by the neuro doc. It was only the “impression” found by the radiologist reviewing my MRI. The nerve study came back completely normal. Both test results I did not receive until yesterday at the follow up with the ortho, weeks after my medical. I’m still worried that my AME will react unfavorably given that I didn’t mention the initial appointment, even though that initial appointment did not raise any concern for anything disqualifying. It does say on my SI that I have to report and self ground for any “new symptoms or treatment” relating to chiari malformation, but the pinched nerve issue was truly unrelated.

Thanks for your response. There was some concerning stuff found on the MRI (possible myelomalasia) which led the ortho doc to request I make an appointment with a neuro doc on 12/27. I know that this make cause me to be grounded for a while IF confirmed by the neuro doc. It was only the “impression” found by the radiologist reviewing my MRI. The nerve study came back completely normal. Both test results I did not receive until yesterday at the follow up with the ortho, weeks after my medical. I’m still worried that my AME will react unfavorably given that I didn’t mention the initial appointment, even though that initial appointment did not raise any concern for anything disqualifying. It does say on my SI that I have to report and self ground for any “new symptoms or treatment” relating to chiari malformation, but the pinched nerve issue was truly unrelated.

just to reiterate, the suspected myelomalacia is not related to chiari, it may be due to the hardware from my spinal fusion. The MRI report states I have no chiari malformation present.

I’m still worried that my AME will react unfavorably given that I didn’t mention the initial appointment, even though that initial appointment did not raise any concern for anything disqualifying.
The question is not whether he will react unfavorably, but whether it would have affected the outcome of your exam. I'd have that conversation with him. Hopefully you have a decent relationship given your history, and he doesn't assume you were trying to hide something. The outcome might be that you're grounded until you know the results of the further testing. But know that he can't change anything about your previous exam at this point without calling the FAA.

The question is not whether he will react unfavorably, but whether it would have affected the outcome of your exam. I'd have that conversation with him. Hopefully you have a decent relationship given your history, and he doesn't assume you were trying to hide something. The outcome might be that you're grounded until you know the results of the further testing. But know that he can't change anything about your previous exam at this point without calling the FAA.

I finally heard back from AMAS and the doctor told me it shouldn’t be problem given that I wasn’t experiencing anything worthy of being grounded or disqualified. At the time of the exam I wasn’t experiencing any symptoms at all, which is why I forgot all about it. To my surprise he suggested not mentioning anything until the next time I visit my AME, due to the fact that it’s not related to the issue on my SI

I finally heard back from AMAS and the doctor told me it shouldn’t be problem given that I wasn’t experiencing anything worthy of being grounded or disqualified. At the time of the exam I wasn’t experiencing any symptoms at all, which is why I forgot all about it. To my surprise he suggested not mentioning anything until the next time I visit my AME, due to the fact that it’s not related to the issue on my SI
Ask him to put that advice in writing.

That’s a good idea, I emailed the doc I spoke to asking him to confirm what he advised after reviewing my updated SI
I said it for a reason.I knew someone who made a misstatement on a medical application and when the FAA caught it, the pilot said the AME told him to. No proof of that. FAA was so thrilled they revoked his medical and pilot certificates.

What was the misstatement and how did the FAA find out?
I can't go into detail but it was weird. The FAA learned of it because it was disclosed in a previous medical application and a medical certificate was issued. So, if disclosed, I'm fairly certain it would have passed with a simple PRNC or an updated physician report. There's also a good chance that when it was caught, if the pilot simply said, "I made a mistake. What information do you need?" it would have been a non-event. But OK City was not exactly thrilled with "the AME (who died at this point) told me not to check 'yes.'"

Decent article from AOPA on correcting errors. Only thing I would add is that it's also a good idea to (a) make sure the error is indeed inconsequential or (b) consult with a professional to explain the updated disclosure.

when in doubt ... bounce it off your AME ... in writing!
Even if not as extreme as the situation I saw, "in writing" accomplishes several important things. Chief among them are avoidance of misunderstandings (so incredibly easy when we are discussing technicalities), loss of memory (do you really think an AME is going to recall exactly what was said 6 months or a year later?), and lack of deniability (innocent or not) if it hits the fan.

You’re in HIMS and honesty is a integral part of recovery. THINK about that.
GET that from you AMAS medical sponsor in writing…..they’re NEVER going to do that.

Even if you think it’s nothing, that’s 4 you to report and FAA TO DECIDE.if your AME agrees he’ll issue but don’t hide the ball. Revocation comes along with that….

It's probably not a big deal. If it's after your AME visit you can use the attached.

Attachments

• OmissionsDeclaration09.28.22.pdf
    182.1 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back