Forgive me for I have sinned - Maybe (rocker switch)

Topper

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Topper
I will skip a few details, long story short is that the broken rocker switch on my 182 did not get replaced as requested. I went online and ordered a "Cessna style switch" that the description said it was the same switch used on Cessna aircraft.

I ordered the switch and replaced it. I happen to be over qualified to replace a simple switch. I am a master auto technician and a Master Electrician, however I am not an a&p and have no airplane repair experience or training.

So the question is, am I allowed as the owner and operator and the holder of a ppl allowed to replace the switch. If I am, then I will make the log book entry, if not, I may just forget about it. I can have an a&P check it out and sign if off for me.

The replacement switch was the same brand and had a higher load rating. It is identical in look and function and I am guessing in a few months will accumulate a little dirt and look just like the rest.

Jim

I will skip a few details, long story short is that the broken rocker switch on my 182 did not get replaced as requested. I went online and ordered a "Cessna style switch" that the description said it was the same switch used on Cessna aircraft.

I ordered the switch and replaced it. I happen to be over qualified to replace a simple switch. I am a master auto technician and a Master Electrician, however I am not an a&p and have no airplane repair experience or training.

So the question is, am I allowed as the owner and operator and the holder of a ppl allowed to replace the switch. If I am, then I will make the log book entry, if not, I may just forget about it. I can have an a&P check it out and sign if off for me.

The replacement switch was the same brand and had a higher load rating. It is identical in look and function and I am guessing in a few months will accumulate a little dirt and look just like the rest.

Jim
You don't have to be (over) qualified to replace a switch but you do have to be certified (A&P) or do the work under a Repair Station license to sign it off in the logs . Find a friendly A&P who will examine the work and sign it off in the plane's logbook for a beer or lunch.

Hey! Isn't that the switch that is connected to the landing light circuit, at some point?

Maintenance Fairy must have put that sucker in. Either that or bring coffee and donuts to your A&P with your log book and ask him to sign it off if they are an amiable type of person.

You don't have to be (over) qualified to replace a switch but you do have to be certified (A&P) or do the work under a Repair Station license to sign it off in the logs . Find a friendly A&P who will examine the work and sign it off in the plane's logbook for a beer or lunch.

What kind of beer do I get? I prefer imported beer.

"Rocker switch replaced by persons unknown, correct PN noted" (and signed off at annual) is the WORST this can get.

"Rocker switch replaced by persons unknown, correct PN noted" (and signed off at annual) is the WORST this can get.
Naw, the worst it could bet would be an accident that occurs because the trim switch was wired backwards and a pilot fails to grasp that when he uses it for the first time in IMC.:hairraise: Not likely but definitely worse.

Naw, the worst it could bet would be an accident that occurs because the trim switch was wired backwards and a pilot fails to grasp that when he uses it for the first time in IMC.:hairraise: Not likely but definitely worse.

Sounds like the same worst case as if I did it.

Also a great example why swapping any switch isn't PM and open for any idiot to monkey with.

That said I think Bruce had the likely worst case:yesnod:

In before Ron says you should have your certificate suspended for 90-180 days, hire an aviation attorney for tampering with federal logbooks, and seek counseling for one of the hazardous attitudes and that you need to report that on your next medical, after you self ground yourself for an additional 30 days after the certificate suspension

In all fairness to Ron, its the FAA that is bat**** stupid about this stuff, not him.

But I've found the FAA to be pretty unreasonable about most things.

In all fairness to Ron, its the FAA that is bat**** stupid about this stuff, not him.

But I've found the FAA to be pretty unreasonable about most things.

Yes but if the FAA mandated that everyone become a eunuch to fly Ron would be the first to defend them and their decision. In 10 years I have never once seen him ever disagree with their stance on anything. Its like he got brainwashed in the Navy to just follow lock step whatever the government says without ever questioning it.

Now that you've done the work, and it functions nominally, when the A&P comes around, remove the switch, let him examine it, and verify that it's the correct PN for the application, then put the switch back in and it can be signed off as repl under direct supervision.

My A&P isn't very good with electronics, and I'm an EE, so this is how we do it on my plane. I just put in a EGT gauge and once it was done, I took it back out, and then he watched every step of me installing it, and he signed it off as an install with assist from the operator. Frankly, I did about 99.5% of the 'assist'.

Yes but if the FAA mandated that everyone become a eunuch to fly Ron would be the first to defend them and their decision. In 10 years I have never once seen him ever disagree with their stance on anything. Its like he got brainwashed in the Navy to just follow lock step whatever the government says without ever questioning it.

You sound like the kindof person who shoots the messenger. Ron has many times clarified instances when he disagreed with the policy he correctly stated.

You sound like the kindof person who shoots the messenger. Ron has many times clarified instances when he disagreed with the policy he correctly stated.

As I said, I've never seen it stated in print.

Thanks for the input. I figured I was not allowed to do it myself. You guys work cheap. I figured it would be worth a bottle of scotch! I am scheduled to have a 650 put in later this month and having a couple of squawks fixed also. I will see if they will take care of it for me then. If not, fortunately I have a short memory.

Jim

No shortage of folks here to validate ignorance of regulations. If the OP chooses to pretend to take no further action, that is his perogative, but we should at least answer his question.

OP: The list of things you as an owner can or cannot do is listed in Appendix A of 14 CFR Part 43. You will note that replacing a switch is not included, so if you wish to procede leagally, you will need to have your A&P sign off on it as mentioned previously.

http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-id...:1.0.1.3.21&idno=14#14:1.0.1.3.21.0.363.14.53

In the attached regs, you will find you can do preventive maintenance as owner. Preventive maintenance is limited to the following work, provided it does not involve complex assembly operations:
(1) Removal, installation, and repair of landing gear tires.
(2) Replacing elastic shock absorber cords on landing gear.
(3) Servicing landing gear shock struts by adding oil, air, or both.
(4) Servicing landing gear wheel bearings, such as cleaning and greasing.
(5) Replacing defective safety wiring or cotter keys.
(6) Lubrication not requiring disassembly other than removal of nonstructural items such as cover plates, cowlings, and fairings.
(7) Making simple fabric patches not requiring rib stitching or the removal of structural parts or control surfaces. In the case of balloons, the making of small fabric repairs to envelopes (as defined in, and in accordance with, the balloon manufacturers' instructions) not requiring load tape repair or replacement.
(8) Replenishing hydraulic fluid in the hydraulic reservoir.
(9) Refinishing decorative coating of fuselage, balloon baskets, wings tail group surfaces (excluding balanced control surfaces), fairings, cowlings, landing gear, cabin, or cockpit interior when removal or disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is not required.
(10) Applying preservative or protective material to components where no disassembly of any primary structure or operating system is involved and where such coating is not prohibited or is not contrary to good practices.
(11) Repairing upholstery and decorative furnishings of the cabin, cockpit, or balloon basket interior when the repairing does not require disassembly of any primary structure or operating system or interfere with an operating system or affect the primary structure of the aircraft.
(12) Making small simple repairs to fairings, nonstructural cover plates, cowlings, and small patches and reinforcements not changing the contour so as to interfere with proper air flow.
(13) Replacing side windows where that work does not interfere with the structure or any operating system such as controls, electrical equipment, etc.
(14) Replacing safety belts.
(15) Replacing seats or seat parts with replacement parts approved for the aircraft, not involving disassembly of any primary structure or operating system.
(16) Trouble shooting and repairing broken circuits in landing light wiring circuits.
(17) Replacing bulbs, reflectors, and lenses of position and landing lights.
(18) Replacing wheels and skis where no weight and balance computation is involved.
(19) Replacing any cowling not requiring removal of the propeller or disconnection of flight controls.
(20) Replacing or cleaning spark plugs and setting of spark plug gap clearance.
(21) Replacing any hose connection except hydraulic connections.
(22) Replacing prefabricated fuel lines.
(23) Cleaning or replacing fuel and oil strainers or filter elements.
(24) Replacing and servicing batteries.
(25) Cleaning of balloon burner pilot and main nozzles in accordance with the balloon manufacturer's instructions.
(26) Replacement or adjustment of nonstructural standard fasteners incidental to operations.
(27) The interchange of balloon baskets and burners on envelopes when the basket or burner is designated as interchangeable in the balloon type certificate data and the baskets and burners are specifically designed for quick removal and installation.
(28) The installations of anti-misfueling devices to reduce the diameter of fuel tank filler openings provided the specific device has been made a part of the aircraft type certificiate data by the aircraft manufacturer, the aircraft manufacturer has provided FAA-approved instructions for installation of the specific device, and installation does not involve the disassembly of the existing tank filler opening.
(29) Removing, checking, and replacing magnetic chip detectors.
(30) The inspection and maintenance tasks prescribed and specifically identified as preventive maintenance in a primary category aircraft type certificate or supplemental type certificate holder's approved special inspection and preventive maintenance program when accomplished on a primary category aircraft provided:
(i) They are performed by the holder of at least a private pilot certificate issued under part 61 who is the registered owner (including co-owners) of the affected aircraft and who holds a certificate of competency for the affected aircraft (1) issued by a school approved under § 147.21(e) of this chapter; (2) issued by the holder of the production certificate for that primary category aircraft that has a special training program approved under § 21.24 of this subchapter; or (3) issued by another entity that has a course approved by the Administrator; and
(ii) The inspections and maintenance tasks are performed in accordance with instructions contained by the special inspection and preventive maintenance program approved as part of the aircraft's type design or supplemental type design.
(31) Removing and replacing self-contained, front instrument panel-mounted navigation and communication devices that employ tray-mounted connectors that connect the unit when the unit is installed into the instrument panel, (excluding automatic flight control systems, transponders, and microwave frequency distance measuring equipment (DME)). The approved unit must be designed to be readily and repeatedly removed and replaced, and pertinent instructions must be provided. Prior to the unit's intended use, and operational check must be performed in accordance with the applicable sections of part 91 of this chapter.

Brad, thank you for your answer. I guess I could/should have looked up the reg. I could make a pretty good argument that I could replace a switch in the landing light circuit.

16) Trouble shooting and repairing broken circuits in landing light wiring circuits.

The landing light switch is part of the landing light wiring circuit and I would feel good about replacing the switch and making a log book entry. It is curious to me that they only specifically allow the landing light. My switch was for the strobe. Based on the language in the reg, I feel that the switch replacement is acceptable. I would like to then argue that if I can replace the landing light switch, they I can replace an identical strobe light switch, but I think that is too much of a stretch.

Thanks for the replies.

Jim

Brad, thank you for your answer. I guess I could/should have looked up the reg. I could make a pretty good argument that I could replace a switch in the landing light circuit.

16) Trouble shooting and repairing broken circuits in landing light wiring circuits.

The landing light switch is part of the landing light wiring circuit and I would feel good about replacing the switch and making a log book entry. It is curious to me that they only specifically allow the landing light. My switch was for the strobe. Based on the language in the reg, I feel that the switch replacement is acceptable. I would like to then argue that if I can replace the landing light switch, they I can replace an identical strobe light switch, but I think that is too much of a stretch.

Thanks for the replies.

Jim

Yeah, I think that falls into one of those "safe does not equal legal, and legal does not equal safe" things. Doesn't necessarily make sense, but it is what it is.

As far as what I posted above...I printed it out Appendix A and keep it posted on the wall of my hangar. If there is any question of the legality of what I need to fix, it's right there as a reference.

I'm still of the mindset on ridiculously simple things, if it's not in the logbook it didn't happen.

I'm still of the mindset on ridiculously simple things, if it's not in the logbook it didn't happen.

homercookingfail.gif

This is kind of my normal way of thinking. I am generally live by the ask for forgiveness, not permission rule.

My dilemma is that I am trying to treat everything about flying as professional as possible. While this switch replacement is not a big deal, it could be the start to a slippery slope, next week I may be rebuilding gyros!

Late to the party but:

I would get it logged. Someone looking at logs when you sell the thing would like to see on-going and preventative maintenance wasn't neglected.

Back