Forgetting something? Suggestions welcomed!

lockeed

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
John
Forgetting something? Aircraft suggestions welcomed!

Hey Guys! Been out of the game for 2 years now since I sold my beloved RV-6 in 2013. Lots of work, renovations and a construction left no time to enjoy the aircraft at that time. All that behind me now so let's get back in the air :yesnod:

Couple things have changed since then that will affect my aircraft choice. First, I should be able to finish my private strip over the summer, which will be dirt for now but ultimately grass in the near future. 1000ft for now but will be 2000ft within a year or so, which is my purchasing time frame anyway, so let's keep 2000ft in mind for all intent and purposes.

I live in Quebec so no LSA unless they can be registered as ultralights or experimental in Canada.

What I want is:

-Experimental or ultralight type (no certified aircraft for now)
-Short/grass field capable, ideally STOL but not mandatory
-Would prefer tricycle gear config but open to tailwheels (Would require training)
-Ski capability would be great but not mandatory
-Wide and comfortable cabin (i'm 6' 1" and 220#)
-Decent cruise speed, ideally, 120mph +
-Rotax power or 5gal/h or less, owner maintainable power plant
-100k or less. 50 to 75K would be great

I've been looking for about a month now and I find my choices somewhat limited. The CH-750 poped up (New Cruizer version seems nice). Something like a CTSW could work too. Pelican and Bush Caddy's here in Quebec could work as well but are hard to find in great examples.

I'm I missing something? Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I would not recommend a CTsw on an unpaved strip -- the landing gear is way too flimsy. You'll beat it do death unless your strip is a putting green. That said, I trained a guy who was 6'7" and well over 250 lb in one, and if he could fit, you can fit.

I sent you a private message with an idea that I see down here.

CH750 was what I thought before I even got to the end of your post, I'd just get the normal STOL one though. I've never heard a complaint on one.

CH750 was what I thought before I even got to the end of your post, I'd just get the normal STOL one though. I've never heard a complaint on one.

For your mission the ch 750 would probably work fine

@Florida Cracker; Great Suggestion on the A22 LS. Keep them coming guys. I should also mention that I'd like an all metal aircraft. (Or composite)

@Florida Cracker; Great Suggestion on the A22 LS. Keep them coming guys. I should also mention that I'd like an all metal aircraft. (Or composite)

You'd do much better with a CH750.

There are metal ones

image.jpg

Interesting looking bird! I'd probably need to get a kit or a partially built one to get in the air... From what I've seen online, they tend to be 75/80K + which isn't the money I'm looking to spend on a kit plane anyway... Especially one with a 100mph cruise. But still an option.

If you don't have to much in the way of obstacles how would an RV12 work?
especially since you are familiar with the RV aircraft.

Brian

Love the RV12, but a little tight for me. When I sat in one, It felt tighter than my RV6 which isn't what I'm looking for. Sitting in the Sportcruiser or the CTLS/SW was night and day. Lots of space and very confortable... With just 5-6" more width

Re: Forgetting something? Aircraft suggestions welcomed!

Hey Guys! Been out of the game for 2 years now since I sold my beloved RV-6 in 2013. Lots of work, renovations and a construction left no time to enjoy the aircraft at that time. All that behind me now so let's get back in the air :yesnod:

Couple things have changed since then that will affect my aircraft choice. First, I should be able to finish my private strip over the summer, which will be dirt for now but ultimately grass in the near future. 1000ft for now but will be 2000ft within a year or so, which is my purchasing time frame anyway, so let's keep 2000ft in mind for all intent and purposes.

I live in Quebec so no LSA unless they can be registered as ultralights or experimental in Canada.

What I want is:

-Would prefer tricycle gear config but open to tailwheels (Would require training)

I've been looking for about a month now and I find my choices somewhat limited. The CH-750 poped up (New Cruizer version seems nice). Something like a CTSW could work too. Pelican and Bush Caddy's here in Quebec could work as well but are hard to find in great examples.

Avid Catalina gives you trailerable and lands on water as well. I don't know how well one would work off snow, you could leave the wheels down with skis I guess if you can't use the hull. Not sure if it has your speed though.

Catalina is an interesting aircraft, but just not my cup of tea...

As I said in the requirements, I would prefer tricycle gear. First and foremost for visibility, and side by side configuration.

But, I'm open for suggestions, going tailwheel would require training.

What I want is:

You want a Rans courier! A fellow in Ontario has one for sale . 912 ROTAX. He has had several, very knowledgeable.

You want a Rans courier! A fellow in Ontario has one for sale . 912 ROTAX. He has had several, very knowledgeable.

Nice plane, but again; it's a tail dragger and a tandem config :) ...

WARNING.... BIASED post.......

I would pick the Zenith 750 Cruiser...

Ps... Don't believe the Zenith's stated cruise speed though...:no::nonod:

750 Cuizer I like. But not fast by any means...

Pipistrel is great, but mucho $$. The alpha trainer might be more affordable, but close to 100K CAD anyway... ouch.

Back