Forget O2 on the cheap, THIS is what you need

I've always wondered why there isn't a company that makes airtight liners for airplanes with a simple alternator compressor that provided some simple pressurization. I guess like a rubber glove. Company tears out the interior, adds the lining, adds a compressor and boom. You now get an extra 3-4k of breathable altitudes. Doesn't have to be a full blown system, just the ability to fly at 15-16k with 12k pressure would be really cool.

I'm not an engineer nor do I know anything about the subject, but I have always wondered why there is a stc for something like that.

I've always wondered why there isn't a company that makes airtight liners for airplanes with a simple alternator compressor that provided some simple pressurization. I guess like a rubber glove. Company tears out the interior, adds the lining, adds a compressor and boom. You now get an extra 3-4k of breathable altitudes. Doesn't have to be a full blown system, just the ability to fly at 15-16k with 12k pressure would be really cool.

I'm not an engineer nor do I know anything about the subject, but I have always wondered why there is a stc for something like that.

The issue becomes the force exerted by the pressure differential. Let's say it's 5 psi, that means the air exerts 5 lbs of force per square inch. Think of the size of the interior of an airplane and then imagine thousands of pounds of force pushing outward on the structure ( a one foot square would have the equivalent of 720 lbs of force pushing outward on it.) Your plane, if not designed for it ( more structure = more weight) would go pop in a pretty impressive way.

The P210's fuselage is a whole different animal compared to the nonpressurized 210. Way more structure, much thicker and small windows, heavier door. It's a seriously different airplane.

Even a one PSI differential would place a lot of stress on a light airframe. Too many square inches and flat surfaces.

The P210's fuselage is a whole different animal compared to the nonpressurized 210. Way more structure, much thicker and small windows, heavier door. It's a seriously different airplane.

Even a one PSI differential would place a lot of stress on a light airframe. Too many square inches and flat surfaces.

And as many hapless passengers tragically found out at the dawn of the Jet Age, it's not so much the static stress on the structure as the dynamic stress cycling that causes metal fatigue leading to cracks and eventual catastrophic failure.

What is the dfference between the weight of a 210 and a P210 fuselage, with otherwise similar equipment? I'll bet it is substantial....

And as many hapless passengers tragically found out at the dawn of the Jet Age, it's not so much the static stress on the structure as the dynamic stress cycling that causes metal fatigue leading to cracks and eventual catastrophic failure.

Square corners act as stress concentrators to catastrophic effects.

Back