Forelight 7.7 update

Indiana_Pilot

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Flying "B"
I just received a notice about updating my terrain maps for the upcoming ForeFlight 7.7 update this week. They are saying it's a all new maps engine.. I wonder what they have improved?

I haven't been able to find much information on it.

I found that already but I was hoping for a more comprehensive change log..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No worse than Hilton's "revolutionary" tease that turned out to be a animated ownship icon of a Robinson R44

I have sent them numerous emails asking if they would add an altitude call out, deviation alert, and terrain alert call out.. I would never use these for terrain avoidance like a GPWS but it could still be nice for situational awareness.. When I used Garmin Pilot it would call out Terrain and I think iFly calls out 500 at 500' agl..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of the Terrain map..... try out this trick I discovered today....

Open up the maps view and move the map to somewhere with mountains. Then with the Edit Route/NavLog frame open, select Profile. Now put two fingers on the display to bring up the on screen ruler. The Profile frame will change to show you the profile that the black line between your fingers has. Now keeping your fingers on the screen, move one or both then pause. Note the Profile view will change dynamically.

You can also press your finger on the terrain portion of the Profile window, and if you drag across it'll mirror the position on the flight path. I like that because you can see exactly where the high points are and adjust accordingly if need be

If they keep adding stuff I don't need, I'll need a gazillion GB dedicated iPad. Obliviously there're in Cahoots with Apple.

Wait! What about those relics called Sectionals or something?

Cheers.

So if you're bet upgrading to 7.7 do you still need that update?

I'm jail broken on 9.1 so I'm not upgrading/downgrading my iOS for that.

I'd like to see user defined alerts. 500 feet I'd like to hear "verify gear down". If a chart is open, hear " decision height" "final approach fix" Etc.....

Basically, be able to choose preset alerts based on the users needs.

Is this only a descent rate to the airport itself? Other than for an extended final, how is that the slightest bit useful? A descent to an altitude designated at a waypoint would be SO much better, e.g., "I want to descend to 1000 agl by the time I get to a point 3 miles from the airport," or "I need to be at 5,000 msl by the time I cross the next VOR."

Is this only a descent rate to the airport itself? Other than for an extended final, how is that the slightest bit useful? A descent to an altitude designated at a waypoint would be SO much better, e.g., "I want to descend to 1000 agl by the time I get to a point 3 miles from the airport," or "I need to be at 5,000 msl by the time I cross the next VOR."

It just calculates a necessary descent rate from present position at present groundspeed. If you speed up, it goes up. Nothing fancy. Just a cross check of your planning, which you've described.

You can add it to the info bar at the bottom of the screen like heading to next waypoint or ETA.

Back