Foreign PP flying in US

BrianR

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
BrianR
In my role as membership officer for my flying club, I've received an inquiry from a guy who says he holds a Brazilian private pilot certificate. He will be working in the US for a few months and is asking about flying club airplanes.

What's the mechanism for him to obtain FAA certification to fly US-registered airplanes? Or is there some sort of reciprocity?

My initial thought is that it's probably not worthwhile for the pilot to spend the money to join the club, since our initiation fee is not refundable. But I need a better picture of the process before I respond to him.

And yeah, I know I could look it up from official sources...but someone here will know the answer in far less time than it would take me. And then the thread will go on for six pages debating the finer points of what some poster said...:D

Since Brazil is an ICAO state, he can obtain a US PPL based on his Brazilian PPL. The details may be found in 14 CFR 61.75, but the basics are he goes to the FSDO with an 8710-1, his Brazilian pilot certificate, a photo ID (probably his Brazilian passport unless he gets a US driver's license), and either his valid Brazilian or a new FAA medical certificate. They confirm he adequately understands and can speak English, and issue an FAA PPL with the same aircraft ratings. If he has a Brazilian instrument rating and wants US instrument priviliges, he will also have to take and pass the FAA IR-A written, but not a flight test. Finally, he'll have to get a flight review with a US CFI before acting as PIC.

Excellent Ron! Exactly the info I needed. Thanks!

IIRC, he'll want to start that process well ahead of his visit. He'll need to file paperwork so the FSDO/FAA can verify his Brazilian ratings with his home country FAA Equivilent office. They just don't accept the records you hold in your hand and present to them.

Unless they've changed the process again.

Also, if his license and medical are not in english, he needs to get translations of those signed off by the brasilian CAA.

Back