Foreign Customs, Culture, and Courtesies?

I just wrapped up 18 years flying for a 121 supplemental airline. I got to see a fair share of the world. Too many funny stories, but some tips to get by.

Keep your voice down. Americans are generally loud. Be sensitive to the culture you're in. You are not in Kansas anymore. Keep your opinions to yourself. Political conversations don't go over well in a foreign county. A smile will go miles. The front desk staff/concierge is your friend. Questions about local customs? Ask. Need light translation help? I've gone down to the front desk and have asked them to call and help with the language. Tip? Generally, you don't do too much outside the U.S.

when I worked at GM we had a meet & greet with our Japanese counterparts on a project. We had been briefed on their customs, and apparently they had been briefed on ours as well. When they got off the plane in detroit they strode right over to us, gave us big exagerrated slaps on the back and shouted "howdy partner"

Pretty much. Except when I went to Egypt with my family they expected a tip for everything. My dad was asking for directions and the guy sticks his hand out expecting a tip.

That is so true. In Egypt the vast majority of people live in poverty and almost every one will try to get a tip from you (it is begging in a nice way). You can tip the highest police/military rank you meet and they will be happy and they will facilitate anything for you whether in the airport or the street. you can do the same in Syria and Lebanon. Now if you try to tip a policeman in Jordan, Saudi, UAE, Qatar, Kuwait or Bahrain you will be in trouble and it is considered an insult.

In middle eastern countries if you hand something to someone (i.e. passport), you should always hand it to them with your right hand. The left hand is considered unhygienic. I always found this humorous, since my right hand is probably less hygienic than my left by their definitions, but customs are customs.

I don't think that is true . Now you have to shake their hands with your right hand because some of them believe that the right hand is more blessed than the left one but I haven't heard of this one before and I lived in the middle east for several years.

There are plenty of loud people and cultures, as long as you're laughing, it's not a problem. ;)

That is so true. In Egypt the vast majority of people live in poverty and almost every one will try to get a tip from you (it is begging in a nice way). You can tip the highest police/military rank you meet and they will be happy and they will facilitate anything for you whether in the airport or the street..

Sounds like Mexico.

;)

Mike

when I worked at GM we had a meet & greet with our Japanese counterparts on a project. We had been briefed on their customs, and apparently they had been briefed on ours as well. When they got off the plane in detroit they strode right over to us, gave us big exagerrated slaps on the back and shouted "howdy partner"

I don't know about you, but I'd find that hilarious :lol: it's so overdone it's funny!

4 hours to go 1300 feet..:dunno::confused:....

You are kiddin.. Right :dunno:

You should visit SE Asia. It will redefine reality for you in a number of ways.

Having seen astonishing traffic in Hanoi and Saigon (yes, the locals still call it that), I don't doubt Jakarta is that bad.

Never pat a Vietnamese man on the head.

Or a Vietnamese kid.

I think patting an American man on the head will get you decked, but a kid is less obvious.

To add my AUS$0.02, don't talk about your fanny (or fanny pack) in Australia or New Zealand, especially if you're male.

Or a Vietnamese kid.

I think patting an American man on the head will get you decked, but a kid is less obvious.

To add my AUS$0.02, don't talk about your fanny (or fanny pack) in Australia or New Zealand, especially if you're male.

Heh.

I have a friend who hired a guide for a big same hunt in South Africa; guide's name was "Fanny," per the written intro he had received.

After a couple days, getting tired of being treated in a most chilly way, in light of the very large fee being paid, my guy asked the guide if he had a problem. The reply, testily offered, was, "Why in the hell do you keep calling me that? My name is 'Fawny.'"

My guy says, "that's what I've been calling you."

An explanation, serious drinking and, the air cleared, hilarity ensued.

Back