ForeFlight's BYOC Feature

AggieMike88

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
The original "I don't know it all" of aviation.
BYOC = "Bring Your Own Checklist"

Actually, I just wanted to show off that I figured out how to add to FF a checklist for the Warrior I fly and have it available within FF.

Using the "Bring Your Own Procedures" method, I saved my checklist first as a PDF file, then followed their instructions to import it into FF.

Now it's in there and looks great.

And it was a fun project. Allowed me to reorganize the existing paper version I use into separate pages depending on the phase of the flight. And I had room to include the pertinant emergency procedures on the same page.

And it's not just for checklists. Since I frequent several local airports, this is a great spot to add a "single page cheat sheet" of radio frequencies, pattern altitudes, and simple runway diagrams.

If you have ForeFlight, I encouage you to try this.

Attachments

• Checklist 004.png
    Checklist 004.png
    83.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Checklist 001.png
    Checklist 001.png
    281.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Checklist 002.png
    Checklist 002.png
    290.1 KB · Views: 77
  • Checklist 003.png
    Checklist 003.png
    148.5 KB · Views: 57
One of my pet peeves in GA are "checklist". Not that I oppose them, but people put so much clutter in them they become useless.

Why would someone need on a start checklist "Starter----engage/start"?

Why all the throttle settings? These are a sample of unnecessary items that clutter.

A checklist should be just that, checking. Not a "do list" or an abbreviated POH. Develop "flow" patterns and back them up with a checklist to affirm the items were checked.

Thanks for a great tip.

I'll be loading up my GPS cheat sheet.

BYOC = "Bring Your Own Checklist"

Actually, I just wanted to show off that I figured out how to add to FF a checklist for the Warrior I fly and have it available within FF.

Using the "Bring Your Own Procedures" method, I saved my checklist first as a PDF file, then followed their instructions to import it into FF.

Now it's in there and looks great.

And it was a fun project. Allowed me to reorganize the existing paper version I use into separate pages depending on the phase of the flight. And I had room to include the pertinant emergency procedures on the same page.

And it's not just for checklists. Since I frequent several local airports, this is a great spot to add a "single page cheat sheet" of radio frequencies, pattern altitudes, and simple runway diagrams.

If you have ForeFlight, I encouage you to try this.

Thank you, they were selling one for $20 (Foreflight customizeable checklist app for the iPad) and I was about to buy it - didn't know there was a "workaround". You just saved me 20 bucks!

On the other hand, with theirs, you can actually "check" things off which is cool.

Last edited:
On the otherhand, with theirs, you can actually "check" things off which is cool.
It's a Texas Aggie thing that years ago when I first got my first word processor, I would still use some white out to make corrections of spelling mistakes.

But eventually I had to get rid of it because I no longer could see the screen because of all of the white out.

We'll put that $20 to good use if'n you ever wander this-a-way and splurge on some yummy Hard 8 BBQ.

And Kim, since you're flying Cessnas in the busy SFO space, this checklist might provide you some ideas on how to lay it out and what information to include.

Yeah, it's a C182, but we all know you got to have some aspirations toward flying one of these someday.

Attachments

• C182 Checklist.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 33
It's a Texas Aggie thing that years ago when I first got my first word processor, I would still use some white out to make corrections of spelling mistakes.

But eventually I had to get rid of it because I no longer could see the screen because of all of the white out.

We'll put that $20 to good use if'n you ever wander this-a-way and splurge on some yummy Hard 8 BBQ.

Argh. Sorry I made a spelling mistake. Let me fix that.

Hard 8 seems like a funny name for a BBQ joint. Meat should be tender and not hard or it is surely overcooked! But thanks for the offer since yes I would love to have BBQ with you. Not sure if / when I'll find my way quite that far off my beaten path though.

:rofl:

Did you hear about the Aggie that bought the new station wagon back in the days when they had wood trim? He took it home and used a crowbar and hammer to strip off all the wood trim. He then stood back and said "gee, it looked better when it was still in the crate".:D

Thank you, they were selling one for $20 (Foreflight customizeable checklist app for the iPad) and I was about to buy it - didn't know there was a "workaround". You just saved me 20 bucks!

On the other hand, with theirs, you can actually "check" things off which is cool.
There is a free ForeFlight version "Checklist Lite". It also lets you check off items as you go. It has worked great for me.

There is a free ForeFlight version "Checklist Lite". It also lets you check off items as you go. It has worked great for me.

I think I tried this but they didn't have my aircraft.

I fly:

1978 Cessna 152
1980 Cessna 172
1974 Cessna 150
1980 - 180hp converstion kit - Cessna 172

So if I want all four I need the $20 version yes?

Meaning, with the $20 version I can "customize" the ones they have, using something like the flight school's checklist or the Sure Check Pro one I bought.

Emergency landing without power checklist -

I think you should make airspeed number one on that list, followed by pick a landing spot - all that other crap is optional if you have the time.

I think I tried this but they didn't have my aircraft.

I fly:

1978 Cessna 152
1980 Cessna 172
1974 Cessna 150
1980 - 180hp converstion kit - Cessna 172

So if I want all four I need the $20 version yes?

No, you just take a paper copy of your checklists and type them into the lists. You essentially build your own checklists. You can make multiple checklists for each plane. I have one for the walkaround, one for engine startup, runup and landing.

No, you just take a paper copy of your checklists and type them into the lists. You essentially build your own checklists. You can make multiple checklists for each plane. I have one for the walkaround, one for engine startup, runup and landing.

Wait, on the free version? I though it didn't let me edit.

The "ForeFlight Checklist Lite" that I have did not come preloaded with any checklists. I had to input the data myself, but once you've typed the data in it functions the same with bulleted checklists that you tap to acknowledge.

The "ForeFlight Checklist Lite" that I have did not come preloaded with any checklists. I had to input the data myself, but once you've typed the data in it functions the same with bulleted checklists that you tap to acknowledge.

Oh I see. Yes that's probably why I wanted the not so free one. Less typing LOL.

AggieMike...do you have a DOC version of that checklist by any chance?

Argh. Sorry I made a spelling mistake. Let me fix that.

Hard 8 seems like a funny name for a BBQ joint. Meat should be tender and not hard or it is surely overcooked! But thanks for the offer since yes I would love to have BBQ with you. Not sure if / when I'll find my way quite that far off my beaten path though.

Um. Hard 8 refers to a craps term for rolling two 4's. Nothing to do with the tenderness of the meat (it is tender BTW).

what's wron with simply using the little laminated lists that are free and already available?

what's wron with simply using the little laminated lists that are free and already available?

Absolutely nothing. Still plan on having it along.

Any chance that I could snake that from ya? Would love to modify the layout of that one for my C172M! If so, please email me at zcolescott@gmail.com and I'll owe you one!

Can't wait to start using this feature in ForeFlight. Never thought of importing a checklist and I really didn't want to buy the checklist program they offer. I think it's $30, not $20.

I asked the CFI this very same question. Her answer was that, because it is a rental, you never know who might take it out of the plane . . . . and therefore, like a headset, a checklist is an item they suggest you "own" because it is essential.

I asked the CFI this very same question. Her answer was that, because it is a rental, you never know who might take it out of the plane . . . . and therefore, like a headset, a checklist is an item they suggest you "own" because it is essential.

~~~~~. Well, that makes sense!

Um. Hard 8 refers to a craps term for rolling two 4's. Nothing to do with the tenderness of the meat (it is tender BTW).

And add a pinch of "the eight seconds that it's hard to stay on a bull" during a rodeo ride!

People ask us where we came up with the name “Hard-Eight BBQ” Well, it too was a long thinking process. We had a small whitetail ranch in Brady, TX that we named “Hard-Eight Whitetail Ranch”.. We had a huge 8 point buck that we watched grow for years and he became our ranch mascot..Our family also likes to travel to Las Vegas on occasion, for those of you who are familiar with the craps table, then you know that you can bet on the “Hard Eight”…a roll of the dice that lands on a 4 and 4… We always bet the “Hard-Eight”..never won much, but it’s always fun. So, that’s where we came up with our name and logo! The deer horns for the ranch, the pair of dice in the H. We also took into consideration that we were moving to the “Cowboy Capitol” of the world, so what would be better than “Hard-Eight” for the 8 second ride!!

Any chance that I could snake that from ya? Would love to modify the layout of that one for my C172M! If so, please email me at zcolescott@gmail.com and I'll owe you one!

Can't wait to start using this feature in ForeFlight. Never thought of importing a checklist and I really didn't want to buy the checklist program they offer. I think it's $30, not $20.

While I'm happy to share the file, but it was an easy thing to make in MS word if you have the software.

Just tell it to do 2 columns. The borders were done by selecting the affected paragraphs, then using the "Page Borders" command under the page layout tab, then the "Borders" tab in the dialog box that shows. In that same dialog box, select "Shading" and apply to paragraph to get the background color.

Remember, the information in file is for a Piper PA-28-161. Likely you need to start from scratch to cover things particular to your Cessna 172M

And add a pinch of "the eight seconds that it's hard to stay on a bull" during a rodeo ride!

I'm not sure which is more exciting... 8 seconds on a bull, or landing at KSEP in a gusty crosswind.

Prevailling winds around these parts are North and South. Why it was decided to put that runway 14-32 is beyond me...

That's kinda north and south.... Maybe it's for the airplane rodeo?!

But the POH is required to be on board anyway and it has a checklist. No POH, no fly.

Someone takes the POH out, you get to chew their butt as long as you like, but you take off with only your "owned" checklist in a rental and get ramp checked, you're going to have some 'splaining to do.

The laminated things are nice, but you do have a checklist on board without it in most rentals.

(All the "vintage" folks will now pop up with their "What checklist?" comments. But those aircraft are rarely on a rental line.)

This is from "Cardinal Flyers Online" and is a good story for this thread...
Before my wife and I were married, I took her for a short local flight
in a rented Warrior. I don't recall anything exceptional about the
flight, but when we landed she asked me how many times I had flown the
airplane. I asked why she asked. She responded, "I wasn't sure you knew
what you were doing because you kept reading the instructions." Since
then I've been more careful about explaining to first-time passengers
the purpose of the checklist.

Chris Berg '75 177B N35022​

I thought that the best joke on new passengers was to haul out the checklist and proudly proclaim, "Hold on I have to read the instructions" :D

OMG that is funny. But I do enough stuff on my own now that scares passengers so I don't need anything new.

Back