ForeFlightHD 3.6 Released

EppyGA

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Let's Fly
ForeFlightHD 3.6 was released today. It has some nice additions. You can now create a route by tapping on the screen or even change a route that is showing by tapping a route leg and dragging it. It would still be nice to have airplane profiles so you didn't have to add in speed and fuel burn when entering a route.

I was looking forward to these "touch planning" features, but so far they're only available on the iPad version. iPhone users can install the update, but we've gotten no new features yet.

It would still be nice to have airplane profiles so you didn't have to add in speed and fuel burn when entering a route.

At least on the iPhone, it DOES have airplane profiles. From the main menu, swipe once to the left to get to the Airplanes icon. You can set up fuel burn and cruise speed, and I think you can set up a default airplane for use in route planning.

Last edited:
I was looking forward to these "touch planning" features, but so far they're only available on the iPad version. iPhone users can install the update, but we've gotten no new features yet.

At least on the iPhone, it DOES have airplane profiles. From the main menu, swipe once to the left to get to the Airplanes icon. You can set up fuel burn and cruise speed, and I think you can set up a default airplane for use in route planning.

you can also press and hold on the icon's in foreflight and they will wiggle,.. move them to your favorite locations. I put the download stuff, account, about and help on the second page, since I don't use them that often.

I have an IPad and the new update for fore flight is awesome

I'm at the POS (Piper Owner Society) Oshkosh fly-in gathering at KSTE and there are two of these up for grabs on the door prize list this weekend. There is going to be a drawing on our bus headed for Airventure tomorrow. Supposedly a $360.00 value! Maybe I need to re-consider getting an iPad. :fcross:

It would still be nice to have airplane profiles so you didn't have to add in speed and fuel burn when entering a route.

There are airplane profiles on the iPad, but they're not quite as obvious as they are on the iPhone. If you go to the File & Brief tab and tap the Aircraft field in the flight plan, it'll bring up a popup of all of your airplanes, and you can enter new ones by hitting the + button at the upper left.

There are new features on the iPhone, "Bring Your Own Procedures" for example, which lets you add approaches or any other PDF to an airport page - For example, someone had the bright idea to add the Airventure NOTAM to the Oshkosh airport. There are others too:

Additional Features in ForeFlight Mobile v3.6
✣ Fast app switching for iPhone OS 4
✣ Enhanced graphics for iPhone 4′s retina display
✣ GPS position tracking activates on Maps view automatically now
✣ New “Cockpit” button on moving map to engage the heads up display (iPad-only); targeting location now toggles auto-center mode
✣ Worldwide international navigational aids (search for country code, a colon, then the navaid IDENT, e.g. “CA:2Z”)
✣ In Settings, select whether to use the white street basemap or dark basemap when viewing Radar and Satellite Maps
✣ In Settings, select your preferred latitude/longitude display format
✣ Enhanced FBO fuel availability information
✣ Gulf of Mexico block navigation data for Bristow, PHI, and other GOM transport providers supporting gulf drilling operations

http://blog.foreflight.com/2010/07/...ng-on-the-ipad-with-foreflight-mobile-hd-3-6/

There are airplane profiles on the iPad, but they're not quite as obvious as they are on the iPhone. If you go to the File & Brief tab and tap the Aircraft field in the flight plan, it'll bring up a popup of all of your airplanes, and you can enter new ones by hitting the + button at the upper left.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

Thanks, I'll take a look.

I looked this morning. I see no + in the upper left corner. I was able to enter Aircraft info in the flight plan section. This is on the iPad version.

I looked this morning. I see no + in the upper left corner. I was able to enter Aircraft info in the flight plan section. This is on the iPad version.

What do you see when you tap on the tail number in the flight plan on the iPad? Can you post a screen shot? (To take a screen shot, press and release the power and home buttons simultaneously and it'll be in the Saved Images album.)

What do you see when you tap on the tail number in the flight plan on the iPad? Can you post a screen shot? (To take a screen shot, press and release the power and home buttons simultaneously and it'll be in the Saved Images album.)

I have it. I'm guessing I wasn't seeing it since I had no profiles at the time. Thanks.

Newbie question....
D/L'd Foreflight and there is still the airport d/l to complete. Can I do that via itunes or does it need to be via iphone? If via itunes, how???

Thanks!

Newbie question....
D/L'd Foreflight and there is still the airport d/l to complete. Can I do that via itunes or does it need to be via iphone? If via itunes, how???

Thanks!

If it's like the iPad version you download the maps, etc through the app itself.

If it's like the iPad version you download the maps, etc through the app itself.

On the phone or itunes? The reason for asking is that the airport part of the app is like 26M, or over 10% of my monthly allotment, if done via the phone. Sorry for what must seem like simple questions.

On the phone or itunes? The reason for asking is that the airport part of the app is like 26M, or over 10% of my monthly allotment, if done via the phone. Sorry for what must seem like simple questions.

I'm assuming through the phone. Won't the phone do WiFi. Sorry for the ignorance but I don't own an iPhone, just the iPad. :dunno:

I'm assuming through the phone. Won't the phone do WiFi. Sorry for the ignorance but I don't own an iPhone, just the iPad. :dunno:

Thanks, Randy. I was hopeful to be able to do it via itunes to not burn up the Mb's.

Thanks, Randy. I was hopeful to be able to do it via itunes to not burn up the Mb's.

Kevin,

You do have to do it on the phone, but you should do it via WiFi at home or at work to avoid burning up your allotment of data from AT&T (unless you're one of us lucky guys that got grandfathered in on the unlimited data plan).

You do have WiFi at home, right? And you have your iPhone set up to use it, right?? Let me know if you need any assistance.

Kevin,

You do have to do it on the phone, but you should do it via WiFi at home or at work to avoid burning up your allotment of data from AT&T (unless you're one of us lucky guys that got grandfathered in on the unlimited data plan).

You do have WiFi at home, right? And you have your iPhone set up to use it, right?? Let me know if you need any assistance.

Kent -
Yes, I am wireless at the house and the phone is set up to use it. Unfortunately I didn't get grandfathered in as this is my first foray with AT&T.

Do I understand correctly that what is downloaded via wireless does not count against the 200Mb allotment??? If so, that will be the ticket. That brings up another question (imagine that lol)...

Does the phone need to be cut off when doing the wireless d/l? If not, how does it distinguish between AT&T's service and the wireless so as to not go against the allotment?

Thanks for the help!

Kent -
Yes, I am wireless at the house and the phone is set up to use it. Unfortunately I didn't get grandfathered in as this is my first foray with AT&T.

Do I understand correctly that what is downloaded via wireless does not count against the 200Mb allotment??? If so, that will be the ticket. That brings up another question (imagine that lol)...

Does the phone need to be cut off when doing the wireless d/l? If not, how does it distinguish between AT&T's service and the wireless so as to not go against the allotment?

Thanks for the help!

Wireless does not count against your allotment. Until last weekend I had never opened an AT&T account on my iPad and had done everything through the wireless. To be safe you should turn off the 3G as I can't say for certain that it defaults to the wireless when you begin a download. Hve fun.

Thanks for the help!

The phone can be on the 3G network while on the WiFI network, and the bandwidth will not use 3G but your wifi. As long as you see the WIFI symbol on your phone screen you're using that wifi network for all data functions.

It's more efficient after all.

You can check your work (at least on 4.0 software) by going to Settings-->General-->Usage. There's a "cellular network data" item that shows the data you've sent and received. I've had this iphone for almost 2.5 months and used it ALL the time and I just went over 1Gb. It's hard to use your data limit with Wifi around.

The best part is that it "remembers" networks, so when im at home, im using wifi even without having to set anything up again. It's just automatic.

The phone can be on the 3G network while on the WiFI network, and the bandwidth will not use 3G but your wifi. As long as you see the WIFI symbol on your phone screen you're using that wifi network for all data functions.

It's more efficient after all.

You can check your work (at least on 4.0 software) by going to Settings-->General-->Usage. There's a "cellular network data" item that shows the data you've sent and received. I've had this iphone for almost 2.5 months and used it ALL the time and I just went over 1Gb. It's hard to use your data limit with Wifi around.

The best part is that it "remembers" networks, so when im at home, im using wifi even without having to set anything up again. It's just automatic.

Brian nailed it. You do not need to turn off 3G or anything like that - It's quite easy to see where the iPhone is getting data from: In the status bar at the top of the screen, you'll see a number of bars on the left for your AT&T service, then "AT&T," then an indicator of your data. There'll be one of four things indicated there: Either a
HT1558_3.png
that indicates WiFi, or one of three indications of what type of cellular data you're receiving (It'll read
HT1695_UTMS_ONb.png
or
HT1695_3b.jpg
or
HT1695_GPRS_ONb.png
, in descending order of speed - The last one is very rare).

As long as you have the WiFi indicator
HT1558_3.png
, your data will be coming from your home WiFi network, which does NOT count against your 2GB/mo as it's not going through AT&T's network. You're unlimited on WiFi. :yes:

EDIT: Apple's support article explaining this subject is available here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1695

Kent, Brian and Randy -

Thank you all very much for the help. I'm new to all this so I appreciate your patience with the questions.

Kent, Brian and Randy -

Thank you all very much for the help. I'm new to all this so I appreciate your patience with the questions.

No problem, we've all been new at something along the way. Have fun. I've been taking my iPad nearly everywhere now. Use it while flying, use it while driving.

I got the iPad specifically for ForeFlight. It's awesome! I had it on an iPod Touch before and thought that was great too, but this is like going from C172 to the Concorde.

I got the iPad specifically for ForeFlight. It's awesome! I had it on an iPod Touch before and thought that was great too, but this is like going from C172 to the Concorde.

I love foreflight, but I only have an iPhone. The app is such a killer app that im seriously tempted to get an iPad just to run foreflight.

My current thoughts are to "wait and see" for the next generation. I'd really like just a WIFI only iPad but those don't have GPS's at least with the current generation.

I've heard of a 7-inch iPad coming out. That will probably be the killer form factor for flight.

Now if we could just get XM weather.... :)

Back