ForeFlight with Geo-Ref Plates, is it worth $75?

Do you use ForeFlight with Geo-Ref plates?

• Yes, my plane does not have a GPS.

Votes: 7 9.9%
  • No, my plane does not have a GPS.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • Yes, my plane has a GPS.

Votes: 28 39.4%
  • No, my plane has a GPS.

Votes: 13 18.3%
  • Yes, my plane has a glass cockpit.

Votes: 11 15.5%
  • No, my plane has a glass cockpit.

Votes: 6 8.5%

• Total voters

MachFly

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
MachFly
My ForeFlight subscription will expire in the next month or so and I'm thinking about getting ForeFlight Pro with geo-referenced plates. The thing is that it costs $150 (twice the price of the standard subscription). I don't mind paying extra $75/year if worth it, I'm just not sure if it is worth it. I understand that the geo-rer plates are absolutely worth it if you fly a plane with two nav radios and a DME. However I do most of my flying with a G1000, and then geo-ref plates become almost completely redundant.

So is it worth extra $75/year?

I'm sure someone is going to ask me how much IFR flying I do. So I don't do a lot, just enough to stay proficient, 2 or 3 approaches every few weeks.

My ForeFlight subscription will expire in the next month or so and I'm thinking about getting ForeFlight Pro with geo-referenced plates. The thing is that it costs $150 (twice the price of the standard subscription). I don't mind paying extra $75/year if worth it, I'm just not sure if it is worth it. I understand that the geo-rer plates are absolutely worth it if you fly a plane with two nav radios and a DME. However I do most of my flying with a G1000, and then geo-ref plates become almost completely redundant.

So is it worth extra $75/year?

I'm sure someone is going to ask me how much IFR flying I do. So I don't do a lot, just enough to stay proficient, 2 or 3 approaches every few weeks.

Only you can really answer the question.

However, I can tell you that I've almost never actually seen the little blue plane on the plate. Oh, it's working just fine, and the plane would be there if only I looked at it. By the time I actually make it onto the plate, the approach is fully briefed, everything on the panel is tuned in, and I'm busy flying the plane. Then after landing, I look down at the iPad with the nice little blue plane sitting right on the airport, and say "Oh. Yeah. It does that."

If you tend to look at the plates a lot during the final stages of the approach (within 5 miles or so of the FAF when you'll actually end up on the plate) then maybe it'll have more value. Alternatively, if you fly into a lot of big/busy airports, the georef on the taxi diagram can be useful as well - More useful than it is on the plates, IMO.

Only you can really answer the question.

That's a bit hard to answer since I never actually used it, or even seen it.

However, I can tell you that I've almost never actually seen the little blue plane on the plate. Oh, it's working just fine, and the plane would be there if only I looked at it. By the time I actually make it onto the plate, the approach is fully briefed, everything on the panel is tuned in, and I'm busy flying the plane. Then after landing, I look down at the iPad with the nice little blue plane sitting right on the airport, and say "Oh. Yeah. It does that."

If you tend to look at the plates a lot during the final stages of the approach (within 5 miles or so of the FAF when you'll actually end up on the plate) then maybe it'll have more value. Alternatively, if you fly into a lot of big/busy airports, the georef on the taxi diagram can be useful as well - More useful than it is on the plates, IMO.

I don't remember looking at the plate at the FAF or past it. However I look at the plate a few times before that. I brief the approach in advance but I don't memorize the headings (especially when there are turns in the approach) and altitudes. Usually just before getting to the next waypoint I look down on the plate to confirm the next heading and altitude.

I do go into large airports every now and then (a few bravos and charlies). I never actually though about Geo-red taxi diagrams, it would certainly be convenient to have it. For some reason though I don't see myself using it that much.

Have it and love it. But I fly a /A equipped bird. Glass panel is beyond my experience.

If you're gonna buy a plane, might I point out that an iPad with FF-Pro is a lot cheaper than buying a G1000.

I use it and I have a G1000. It increases situational awareness, its cheap, why not?

Almost all my IR trainees using Foreflight who didn't get it originally upgrade to it during the 10-day program, and all were happy they did. OTOH, experienced IR pilots on refresher training generally don't feel it's that important.

Almost all my IR trainees using Foreflight who didn't get it originally upgrade to it during the 10-day program, and all were happy they did. OTOH, experienced IR pilots on refresher training generally don't feel it's that important.

I see. Do you use it for your personal flying (not providing instruction)?

I have the full blown version as a back up, and for planning. I also have a glass cockpit with two Garmin 430s as my primary.

I think its worth the $150 or so that I pay for it. This was I dont need any papercharts in the cockpit since its an approved EFB.

I think its worth the $150 or so that I pay for it. This was I dont need any papercharts in the cockpit since its an approved EFB.
iPad/Foreflight has been approved by the FAA for some commercial operators who need such approval, but no approval is required for the average Part 91 operator like most of us here to use it. In fact, outside of commercial operators, you can use anything you want to meet your charting needs whether it's ever been FAA approved or not.

In the last year(97.6 hrs), I have only used the FF taxi diagrams five times and approach plates zero. I fly with glass and three of the five taxi diagrams showed up on the display. I always print a paper diagram and my wife utilizes the I-pad. Is it worth an hour or so of 100LL? Probably not if you have good situational awareness. I may let mine lapse upon renewal as I don't fly IFR and if I did would be using the glass panel as the abov poster.

Redundancy is good and $75 is not a lot of money per year. If it were truly redundant, it would be worth it for the georeferenced plates. But the georef plates are not really good backup for your primary instruments; unlike on a Garmin handheld, there's no NAV page with CDI. However I still voted yes, mainly for the georeferenced taxi diagrams - DEFINITELY worth $75/year in my book.

I'd probably feel different about the plates if I flew a /U or /A plane though. I'm /G.

there's no NAV page with CDI..

Technically there is, it's just a pain in the @$$ to use. If you type out the whole approach into your flight plan, then on the bottom select "Cross Track Error" it will basically give you a CDI.

Hmmmm.....so did any of the graduates later feel they didn't need it as their skills progressed after getting the ticket?

I think it's worth it for about 1 hr of fuel a year. I find it more useful for the taxiway diagram than the approach charts.

BTW, you don't have to have it for the full year. You can renew early, or even downgrade midway through your subscription. Any remainders show up as a credit on your account when it comes time for renewal.

I've done this for Canada data, which I really only need for a few months a year.

I think it's worth it for about 1 hr of fuel a year. I find it more useful for the taxiway diagram than the approach charts.

BTW, you don't have to have it for the full year. You can renew early, or even downgrade midway through your subscription. Any remainders show up as a credit on your account when it comes time for renewal.

I've done this for Canada data, which I really only need for a few months a year.

Then I wonder if I can cancel my normal subscription when not in use:dunno:

I routinely fly behind two panels. Both have Aspens. Lance has 650 and 510. Cirrus has 796 and MFD. Because I live in West Texas, I haven't had an excuse to fly IFR in almost a year so I can't comment on the approach plate portion of it in real IFR. From flying under the hood, I like it in the Lance because I have it mounted on the yolk. It's basically in my normal scan. On the Cirrus, I don't see the plates being as much help. There is no place to mount it in front of me so once I'm close to the FAF, the iPad is closed and set aside.

That being said, I still use it bunch for the taxi diagrams. Despite the 796 and the 510 having the taxi diagrams, I far prefer the ones on the iPad.

[FONT=&quot]It sure is when you are at an unfamiliar airport with intersecting runways. The new version of foreflight now talks to you when you enter a runway too so I LOVE this product. My fiancé prefers WING-X.[/FONT]

I just extended to the full version. I've only used the geo-ref charts on one flight. I did find it easier for holding etc.

One thing I did find, expanding on the plan view for headings etc, And watching the tracking while the gps sequenced, missed a step down altitude that was only displayed in the profile view that was not associated with a gps point.

... It increases situational awareness, its cheap, why not?
That's about how I feel. I use an experimental glass panel and fly it IFR. It's 'nice' to have the added situational awareness when I'm staring at the plate in my paperless cockpit.

The little plane on the taxi diagrams is great for big unfamiliar airports even though I'm quick on the "unfamiliar, progressive please". Ironically, I found the warning voice that comes up when crossing a runway confusing since I didn't know what it was the first half dozen times it happened. I mean, I knew it did that but when it happened, it was a distraction instead of an aid. Now it's all good.

The little plane on the taxi diagrams is great for big unfamiliar airports even though I'm quick on the "unfamiliar, progressive please". Ironically, I found the warning voice that comes up when crossing a runway confusing since I didn't know what it was the first half dozen times it happened. I mean, I knew it did that but when it happened, it was a distraction instead of an aid. Now it's all good.

I think that runway warning got all of us the first time. I was at KVGT when it happened, I also had no idea where it was coming from. It's just nice to have a product that is adding so many new features all the time with a low price.

And just in case someone reading this doesn't have Foreflight: the runway entry/exit warnings are part of the STANDARD package that you get for $75/year. The extra $75 to go Pro buys you georef approach plates and taxi diagrams, but you get Bitchin' Betty at no extra charge. :D

Perhaps my headsets are better than I thought, because I can barely hear it and I'm darn sure not looking at my iPad while I'm taxiing at an unfamiliar airport.

Perhaps my headsets are better than I thought, because I can barely hear it and I'm darn sure not looking at my iPad while I'm taxiing at an unfamiliar airport.
You mean you wouldn't even glance at an airport diagram to make sure the route you thought you heard the controller clear you to taxi by actually made sense? And later to confirm that you were actually going the way he had cleared you to go?

As to the sound level, the iPad's volume is adjustable, more than one way depending on your settings. Yours might just be on the low side.

I think that runway warning got all of us the first time. I was at KVGT when it happened, I also had no idea where it was coming from. It's just nice to have a product that is adding so many new features all the time with a low price.

I still find it a bit annoying.

You mean you wouldn't even glance at an airport diagram to make sure the route you thought you heard the controller clear you to taxi by actually made sense? And later to confirm that you were actually going the way he had cleared you to go?

As to the sound level, the iPad's volume is adjustable, more than one way depending on your settings. Yours might just be on the low side.

Face slap

Question, when you zoom into the plate does the blue airplane stay where it's supposed to be or does the GPS overlay get screwed up?

Question, when you zoom into the plate does the blue airplane stay where it's supposed to be or does the GPS overlay get screwed up?

The blue dot adjusts. You can zoom in or out as necessary and still see your position.

I still find it a bit annoying.

You can turn it off. In fact, you can turn the video and audio on and off separately, so you can have either, both, or neither. More->Settings->Runway Proximity Advisor.

You can turn it off. In fact, you can turn the video and audio on and off separately, so you can have either, both, or neither. More->Settings->Runway Proximity Advisor.

Yeah, I don't know. It's a good safety feature so I don't really want to turn it off but it's still a bit distracting when I'm cleared for take off.

For approaches, I dont' want to spend any more time looking at the plate than I have to-- I am too busy watching the panel. If I didn't have SafeTaxi on the 496, I could see the benefit of having georeferencing on the taxi diagrams on Foreflight.

Like Ron, I have Foreflight and use it for my charts, but I have only the basic service, no georeferencing on plates.

Wells

Here's the thing about a situational awareness tool like this. You don't have to stare at it and it certainly isn't a primary means of navigation. When you check the plate just a split second glance confirms you are where you think you are. If it doesn't agree then figure out whats going on. Since most of us fly without co-pilots, self correcting any errors is really important. This is a cheap tool that can't be fat fingered and does just that, nothing more.

Here's the thing about a situational awareness tool like this. You don't have to stare at it and it certainly isn't a primary means of navigation. When you check the plate just a split second glance confirms you are where you think you are. If it doesn't agree then figure out whats going on. Since most of us fly without co-pilots, self correcting any errors is really important. This is a cheap tool that can't be fat fingered and does just that, nothing more.

That's actually a very good point.

Back